What's new

Summer blazer/sport coat for hot weather?

So, B&Bers, how do you manage wearing sport coats or blazers in the summer, or even wool suits? Thankfully I don't have to wear it every day, but there are times when I need a coat and tie for meetings, and it's a very hot sweaty uncomfortable experience. I bought a 100% linen sport coat from Men's Wearhouse and it's still too warm for me.

Do you wear different materials that are more suitable for summer like linen or seersucker? Unlined coats? Thinner weaves? Thinner shirt materials? Skip the undershirt?

And what are the good stores or online retailers for this?

I was born and raised in a cold snowy climate and don't do well with heat.

I don't bother with a suit coat anymore, except for weddings and funerals. The office has become so casual that I am one of the few who still wears a tie.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So, B&Bers, how do you manage wearing sport coats or blazers in the summer, or even wool suits? Thankfully I don't have to wear it every day, but there are times when I need a coat and tie for meetings, and it's a very hot sweaty uncomfortable experience. I bought a 100% linen sport coat from Men's Wearhouse and it's still too warm for me.

Do you wear different materials that are more suitable for summer like linen or seersucker? Unlined coats? Thinner weaves? Thinner shirt materials? Skip the undershirt?

And what are the good stores or online retailers for this?

I was born and raised in a cold snowy climate and don't do well with heat.
I have a nice light Jos A Bank sports coat with silk in the fabric. Works well for me, though right now, at 94 degrees, it's in the closet.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Look for a few things ...

1. Unlined of half-lined jacket
2. Good fabric ... not, as some would suggest, tropical worsted. No, that stuff doesn't breathe nearly well enough. You want a "high twist, loose weave" fabric: that is, the threads are tightly twisted so to be tough, but then are woven together loosely to give a fabric with lots of space in between the threads so the suit can vent easily.
3. Wool/mohair suits in a fabric described in #2, or linen. Skip silk as it tends to be too "hot".

2. Good fabric ... not, as some would suggest, tropical worsted. No, that stuff doesn't breathe nearly well enough. You want a "high twist, loose weave" fabric: that is, the threads are tightly twisted so to be tough, but then are woven together loosely to give a fabric with lots of space in between the threads so the suit can vent easily.
3. Wool/mohair suits in a fabric described in #2, or linen. Skip silk as it tends to be too "hot".

That's good info. Thanks! Do you know which stores carry that sort of stuff? I'm guessing not Jos A Bank/Men's Wearhouse

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Check your lining; if your coat is from Men's Wearhouse, I'll bet it's polyester. Polyester doesn't breath and wears hot, no matter how light and breathable the shell is. Also, how thick is the linen fabric? Heavy weight linen makes a nice textured jacket, but won't be airy and cool. I think the comments above nailed it: lightweight open weave + minimal lining = good warm weather jacket. Seersucker is nice too.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
105° here today going up to 119° by next Monday. If they saw you in a sport coat, you would get locked up in the crazy bin.

Wait, maybe we're all crazy for living where it gets to 119°... :)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
105° here today going up to 119° by next Monday. If they saw you in a sport coat, you would get locked up in the crazy bin.

Unless there is a cooling system in this sports coat, you can find me at the bar. :)

But just think any hood on any car is a grill, so we can eat and cook on the run

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I will add #4 ... get a light-coloured fabric ... dark colours are magnets for solar heat!

I just purchased a lightweight and light coloured sport jacket. I tried on several and picked the one that felt light and cool. It happens to be a silk/wool blend and it is very comfortable on warm days...but the truth is I don't think there is any fabric that will keep you cool in 30C heat (100F) with high humidex levels. Better to stay in air conditioned spaces.

I was able to squeeze into a J Crew Factory blazer with no lining in back and linen/cotton blend. It looks great. Today's a bit cloudy but we'll see how it holds up on a sunny day. The price was great at $99. I walk between several buildings but the inside is air conditioned.

Found this sport coat today, Those of us in AZ will be wearing this over the next week as we approach 115-120, LOL

proxy.php

I also found this lovely ensemble for Summer Office Chic in Arizona

proxy.php

Top Bottom