What's new

Suggest a Scent for a Longtime Fragrance Lurker

Howdy, team. As the title of this post suggests, I'm a longtime lurker in this particular forum. As such, I've watched you fine folks celebrate smells and viscerate others, always dissecting and discussing them with a level of precision I simply don't possess. I appreciate your expertise and enthusiasm, even if I don't share the former. Given the amount of subject mastery that exists among the lot of you, I'm sure the following request will prove simple: Help me find a new summer fragrance. I currently own two scents, Chanel Allure Homme and Michael Kors Michael for Men. I love the both of the dearly, though the Michael is more than a bit too heavy for these hot Alabama summers. I also find that they both work quite well for me and that I'm never short of complements when wearing either of them. I've used Allure in warmer weather for a while (and may continue to do so), but I'm hopeful that you gents (and ladies as applicable) can point me toward something that might be a bit more seasonally appropriate. This is the part where I should probably mention the fact that I love the warmth of both scents but would like to add a bit of brightness to the situation. Individual notes I enjoy include (in no particular order) lemon, bergamot, vetiver, black pepper, mandarin orange, grapefruit, sandalwood, tonka bean, coconut, leather, oakmoss, tobacco, cedar, musk, and vanilla (when used judiciously). I tend to loathe anything that's too floral, cloyingly sweet, or in the least bit powdery, as well as aquatic scents. Re-reading that tells me that I'm definitely asking a lot of you, and that the favor requested is a big one. Still, might a few of you have any suggestions for a fellow starting down the road to fragrance nirvana?

I tend to lean the to the citrus in summer. Verbena is a nice scent that has good staying power.

Bleu de Chanel would check off a lot of your boxes. It's citrusy, but with a lot of depth behind it.

Versace Pour Homme is another in a somewhat similar vein that's very easy to like and a great value (under $40 on Amazon).

Im a big fan of Versace Man... get tons of compliments on it as well. I love the Allure line and I love Micheal Kors... my bottle is now empty :-(

+1 on Dior Eau Savage... just got a bottle and this juice is top notch

Dior Homme is equally as good, but much different.

L'Occitane Vetiver is fantastic and is priced around 50.00 - in fact all the l'Occitane scents are great and 50.00 each for the 3.4 oz.

Terry Mugler Cologne - another great vetiver

I wore Mugler Cologne for the first time today. It's SO good, but the longevity really bummed me out. I had planned on getting a full bottle, but that plan has been scratched now.

Back to the OP, Dior Homme Sport is another one that came to mind. It's brighter than the other two I mentioned (nice dose of lemon), but has some woods in there to tie it down.

And frankly, as Cheapshot mentioned, you really can't go wrong with any of the Allure flankers. Sport Extreme is probably my favorite. It's a tonka bomb that has great legs on me. Edition Blanche is amazing when I'm in the right mood. I didn't mention these earlier because I would say that they can get slightly powdery way into the dry down.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm sure I need to try these before I commit. Is decantshop.com a reliable place to do so? Also, does anyone else have any recommendations before I go shopping?

its hard to pick just a few... many of us im sure have more than 100 bottles on their tables, and personally I can count on one hand the scents I don't like.

Facebook has a group that swaps scents you might look into.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm sure I need to try these before I commit. Is decantshop.com a reliable place to do so? Also, does anyone else have any recommendations before I go shopping?
I use Surender to Chance for samples. I would add Creed Green Irish Tweed to the list, great sillage and lasts forever on me. A cheap alternative is Cool Water, similar to GIT but not the same quality but a big price difference. I also like Guerlain Habit Rouge for year round.
+1 Guerlain Vetiver and Dior Eau Suavage

Last edited:
Hugh Parsons Whitehall.

Top notes are bergamot, grapefruit and orange blossom; middle notes are white pepper, black pepper and geranium; base notes are white amber, leather, patchouli and vetiver.

Hits much of your list and the dry down, to my nose, ends with an amazing vetiver that is lasting. Has none of the features you loathe. An excellent hot weather scent and you are not likely to run into someone else wearing it.

If you're open to experimenting try Acqua di Parma Colonia. It's a bit powdery and bit more floral but it's definitely worth a try.

Hmm, I'll have to +1 the Mugler Cologne for summer. And of course, there's always Rive Gauche! If you don't mind the heavy iris note, you could give Dior Homme Sport a try, I'm not crazy about it but it has a lot of fans. Tough to recommend a summer scent that isn't an aquatic that also isn't sweet or floral, in my limited knowledge lol.

Mandarina Duck Black is a good cheapie that works for summer nights, although it might be too sweet to your nose. I smell smoky tobacco, tonka, vanilla and tangerine. This one really needs skin to shine, you don't get the full effect on paper, even when its left to sit.

I too became interested in fragrances because of this forum, and found the depth of member's knowledge about scents so enjoyable. I started with scents Clubman and VIBR and the like, some of which I enjoyed very much, but they did not last much beyond my leaving the bathroom. My next step was buting a bottle of 4711, which I still think is a terrific scent and Tabac, which was also very nice, and very much for me a step up from the previous aftershaves I had tried, but again the scents did not even last my train ride to work.
So I read many entries in this forum, paying close attention to the thread that asked what scents people were wearing that day, and I made a list of the most mentioned scents. I researched which ones I might like and "splurged" for a bottle of Ferre Bergamento. This opened me up to a new level of what scents were capable of. After the Ferre, I bought a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver which I think is terrific. I then did further research by taking my list of most used scents to Macy's and trying as many of them as I could find. From there I got into what I think are called acquatic scents and bought bottles of Acqua di gio, Bvlgary Acqua, and I am really enjoying a newly acquired bottled of Davidoff Cool Water. So that has been my journey, and I have enjoyed it very much.

Alright, gang. Thanks again for all of the recommendations! I'm filling up my cart with decants, but I have a question about all of the Acqua di Parma Colonia variations. Are there certain ones I should try over others?

There are lots of fragrances you can try based on your criteria.
Yes decantshop is reliable and a lot of people on here shop from there.

Acqua di Parma Colonia and colonia Essenza are both nice.
Acqua di Parma blu medittereano arancia di capri has a nice citrus burst
Eau sauvage eau de toilette
Neroli portofino
Neroli Sauvage
Guerlain Vetiver
Tom Ford Grey vetiver (great longevity)
Lalique white pour homme
hermes ear d'orange verte

Top Bottom