What's new

Struggling to get a good lather even after watching some videos.

Ditto on the soap the brush, Boar brushes need to soap for 5-10 minutes before use, wetting under hot tap water won't do it. Then squeeze it out, just below the handle, or I personally just give it 2-3 hard downward shakes over the sink, to remove MOST of the water. - You want the brush to damp, not wet, to begin with.

With some cream/croap/soap pushed into the grooves of your Captain's Choice bowl, begin to working it up. Dribble small amounts of water in, as it begins to form a lather, whenever it appears 'dry' or 'pasty'. Once it gets to the point where pulling the brush off the bottom leaves a nice shiny, peak, of lather, you're close to perfect. Boars do take a bit longer to work up the lather, compared to a synthetic or badger brush. - It's how they absorb or hold the water, and the number of bristles. (Boar bristles are thicker, so there are fewer of them, when compared to the others).

I have a cheap bowl from Germany with the same recessed/grooved bottom, it makes lathering much quicker and easier, but you don't want to start with a lot of water. It's easier to be too dry and add, then to start wet/runny, and try to whipped it into a usable lather. (Too wet is more difficult to come back from, and sometimes easier to start over).

You can also just practice lathering without shaving to get the hang of it. Sure you'll waste a little of the cream, but it makes it much easier come morning. My other tip would be that some brushes need to be 'broken in' a bit, particularly Board brushes. If you haven't done so, wash it shampoo in warm water, then rinse it really good. Fill a big with water that it comes 1/4 inch from the handle, and leave the brush soap in the water overnight....place it in the fridge while soaking it. Come morning, rinse it off, warm it up, and have at it. - Make a huge difference with some boar brushes.

First advice I can give is get a decent synthetic brush. Good quality synths can be had for 10 bucks. Second, is to learn to face lather. I love bowls and mugs, it's part of the wet shaving world that I enjoy, but once I leaned to face lather with soaps and creams, I never went back to bowls and mugs for lathering. I only, uh....collect them now, lol.
If you're using creams, put about an inch and a half (from a tube) on your finger, or about the size of an almond (from a tub) and squeegee it along your jawline from ear to ear. Slightly damp brush to start spreading it around your face. Dip just the tip of your brush into water and continue to lather. Two generalizations here: use more product at first than you think you may need, and always start off with less water. You can always add water to improve your lather, but you can't take it out if it's too runny.

I am sure it is YMMV type thing, and my Captains choice samples, I believe, are soap not cream. That being said, I can get multiple shaves (2-3 passes each) out of 1 sample. I use a VDH brush ( I believe it was boar IDK something cheap) and a captains choice bowl (previously used a VDH mug). I used to fight lather a bit but consistency, amount, what have you. The more time passes the better it gets. (5 years maybe?) Brush broke in? Technique improving? Who knows. Just keep fiddling with it. You will get there. And I assume switching out the preshave for a soap or cream will help LOL

Just reread my own post above.....amazing how auto-correct on the phone can mix up words and spellings that badly! :c3:

How did the OP make out?....anybody know.

All the advice is MUCH appreciated. Yeah I’ve had a few days of practicing under my belt now. I’ve figured out I can definitely get a few uses out of the captains cream which I’m just about out of my samplers now :) time to order up a full jar. Still working on my water to product ratio but I tell ya I got really good at whisking trying to foam up something that wasn’t meant to lather 😂

Seems like everyone in the videos likes sloppy-wet brushes for lathering soaps. They swirl around the brush in the tub while holding it at an angle for all the too-wet suds to slop out and wastefully go down the drain. Same thing with creams - when you leave your brush too wet, you CAN get good lather, but you need to use enough cream to make an excessive amount of lather. I don't like to go buy some spendy stuff, only to rinse half of it down the drain. So I start with a "dry" brush:

After soaking my badger brush, I tap it against the side of the sink to remove most of the water. Then I shake it to remove as much as possible. I either put a small dab of cream into the bottom of my bowl, or directly onto the brush. I swirl the brush around in the bowl containing only 5 drops of water. This distributes the cream throughout the brush and coats the bowl. I use distilled water in a water bottle with a squirt top, and add 5 drops at a time, swirling the brush in the bowl, adding more until it begins to build a stiff & dry lather. A couple of drops at a time are now added until the lather begins to have a slight sheen to it. This makes enough to do 4 passes and still have a large dab left.

If you count your drops, you can add more water faster the next time, speeding up the process.

Get some Cremo and some Neutrogena for Sensitive skin, and put a dime-sized dab of each on your brush or into the bowl. Use distilled water, unless you already have soft water. You'll get an amazingly thick, slick and rich lather that is unmatched by most other creams at any price.

The number of drops of water vary, depending on if I'm using a bigger or smaller brush & if I'm using badger or synthetic.

Keep experimenting, and don't give up. My experience: When in doubt, a less-wet brush is better. You can always dip the tip of the brush in water to add more water, but you can't take water out of the lather after it is too thin. Don't be afraid to set aside an hour to work on it. Try it once. If the lather is too runny, clean your brush and bowl and start over. The second time, squeeze more water out of your brush, and use the same amount of cream. Don't sweat it, just keep at it until you get it. Don't ask me how much soap I wasted until I got it...

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Omg I am feeling quite stupid right now. The prorasa stuff I got was a PRE-shave cream no wonder I am having trouble
Take heart, could be worse. You could have been trying to lather witch hazel :)

Glad you go it figured out. Face lathering can be an easy place to start because it kind of forces you to have a brush of certain dryness otherwise you drip all over. I'm one who starts with a brush that has been wetted and then shaken and lightly wrung out. Then make a paste like lather and slowly add water. Others do it with wet brushes and keep adding soap until it works. Neither is right or wrong, it's preference, though one way tends to be more sparing of soap.

What is this "bowl" you speak of?
:lol1:
When just starting out, I could bowl lather, but thought that only show-offs face lathered or palm lathered (because I couldn't). I've face-lathered exclusively for a few years now, and rarely think of building lather any other way. It also took a while to figure out that loading the brush and whipping up lather are two different animals. Like Sharpologist says: What Your Father Didn't Teach You About Shaving...

When just starting out, I could bowl lather, but thought that only show-offs face lathered or palm lathered (because I couldn't). I've face-lathered exclusively for a few years now, and rarely think of building lather any other way. It also took a while to figure out that loading the brush and whipping up lather are two different animals. Like Sharpologist says: What Your Father Didn't Teach You About Shaving...

I always bowl lather. I have a sensitive face. If I try to face lather, even with the softest of brushes, I get irritation. Thus, I produced a lather in a bowl and then paint it on my face.

Another option is to do what YouTuber Michael freedburg does. He has a Captains Choice bowl. He calls it his "loading bowl". He presses soap into the bowl, loads his brush and adds enough water to produce a "proto lather". He then starts a face lather, slowing adding water until the lather is properly hydrated.

There is more than one way to get the job done. The key is loading the right amount of soap and the right amount of water.

BTW: If a lather is too soupy, it is not necessary to start over. Simply go back to the soap container and load a little more soap.

Use this video as a guide. It's one of the easiest methods imho.

Just wanted to thank @OldSkoolMillennial for posting the above video. While I've been DE shaving now for a year, I feel like I can always improve. I have been struggling to get good lather out of my Shavemac Synthetic and I used the above method and had lather for days! It's amazing how you learn something new when you least expect it.

Cheers!

-Pete

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Saviorself,

Thank you for this thread. I stole the advice you received to my own, selfish ends. Don’t worry, karma led me to get weepers from shaving stupidly, but the help with getting a rich, slick lather and idea to blop the whole sample on the brush was stolen here to great effect and that’s thanks to you and the spectacular and generous braintrust here.

Top Bottom