What's new

Strop question

So I have 3 strops that the only way I can describe the feel of the leather would be it feels like rubber. My old red imp feels like that and the new one feels nothing like that. It got me thinking and does anyone know how they got their strops to feel like that. My dubl duck strop and my scotch Lassie strop both feel like that. I like how those feel. So I want to get the new one I have to feel more like that. To me they feel smoother than a newer leather strop.

You’re probably comparing shell (which is from over a large muscular joint of a horse) vs lower grade leather. Shell started out very tight grained, elastic, dense and smooth... and years stored properly and not allowed to dry out amplified it. Lower grade leather will be more springy (less resistant ), less dense feeling, and with a more broken, noticeable grain.

The best I can offer you, is extremely fine (1200+ wet/dry) sanding and a lot of rubbing with a strop oil... But the sanding may change the surface in a way that you don’t like, so I’d start out with just doing the rubbing for a few weeks, and see what that gets you. Always use a clean soft towel to wipe off any excess if you’re using a oil.

The dubl duck scotch Lassie and red imp are all shell leather. Now comparing the old red imp to the new red imp the old one feels more like rubber whereas the new one feels like leather. I did sand the new one through 3k wet/dry sandpaper. I've been rubbing it every time I pass by it. It now has a very slight rubberish feel to it. So I'm assuming in time it will feel more like the rubberish feel I want. But now it's raised another question. I have a C-MON 414 strop. That is Russian shell. That one even after sanding it has a high gloss finish to it. It feels like a car does after you clay wax and buff. It's like glass. If a shell leather will change to that rubberish feel why wouldn't the C-MON start to have that rubberish feel. And not only that I have another Russian shell and it just feels like leather. Doesn't have the rubberish feel nor the glossy feel. Any ideas why that is. And any ideas as to why the C-MON would have the waxed glossy feel and another Russian shell doesn't.

Top Bottom