What's new

Straight Shaver Interview - mdunn

Marcus, aka mdunn is a hellava guy around here, and has put together a fantastic interview, which is a complete pleasure to read! Thanks Marcus!

Who are you?
Marcus!

Where are you located?
Sydney, Australia.

I've not been there, but i've seen cartoons, do you guys really live upside down in the land down under?

I dont understand - on my map it shows you guys as upside down :confused1
proxy.php

What is the stereotype of the folks in Sydney? is it an fun place to live?
Well its the best city in the world (especially when compared to that hovel, Melbourne). Im not sure what the stereotype is, but its a great city to live in. Not to hot, not too cold. My house is minutes to the beach, which is awesome.

proxy.php

Favorite hangouts or Brick & Morter joints?
HA! No B&M down here. (except stuff like l'occitane etc). The best place is mensbiz in melbourne, they mainly online but I think you can pay them a visit in the flesh if you let them know beforehand. Next time im in town ill probably try and pop in.

Favourite hangouts are different though! My favourite pub is the Duck, but im oft at the Oaks.

How do you take your coffee?
First coffee of the day is 4 shots of espresso in a mug (just like I like my women... strong and bitter), then mid-morning I enjoy a large strong cap.

:w00t:

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
Well in my younger years I copped a hockey ball to my top lip, which split me like a cat. It stitched up fine (which was actually a funny story), and you wouldnt know its there to look at me - but the hairs grow out at a million crazy angles there. I had been given an electric razor from my parents which really chewwed by face there (and on some other scars under my chin - im kinda attract danger). So then I was given some mach3's from a rental car company, which were ok - and as good as I thought shaving got.
After them, I used free razors from hotels/airlines etc with canned goo.

Then one night, in a pub somewhere in sydney (my memory is pretty hasy about the details), I was comparing scars with some random guy. He said that using a DE was the way to go. Next day, nursing a medium-sized hangover, i googled DEs, came across B&B, and bought a DE. After oogling straights for a while in SOTD pics, I bought a straight, and have been loving them since.

What was it that held your interest?
The people. I spend almost as much time emailing and PMing the guys here as I do posting. I also spend a tonne of time in the GSL (the aussie social group) where the creame of the forum hangs out). I guess also helping out guys who have been where ive been keeps me coming back.. either way its an amazing collection of top notch guys from around the world, and im proud to call a bunch of them mates.

..the BST doesnt hurt either

B]Have you met anyone from the forums face to face?[/B]
Yes indeed! I have met TSWebster to go hat shopping in Katoomba, but a combination of fog and a BMW met his car and exploded it :thumbdown

I have also met Os (who frequents SRP more than here), and another guy who dropped in at Os place when I was there - cant remember the guys name. Sorry mate. There is also plans for a Sydney meetup in the works, so I can put another few faces to names.

If i remember from your posts, you started with DE's before switching to straights; What did you start with?
Started with a feather DE from ebay. Then got an ABC old type set, then got some fatboys etc

Shave Cream & Soaps? what did you find that worked well from those initial trials?
I spent a long time trying to hunt out something new, some undiscovered gem of a soap. I came to realise that you really cant beat the tried and true products that are talked about so much here.

A bunch of us aussies even tracked down a bunch of locally made shaving soaps, and did a split. Long story short, theyre all rubbish.

Ive a few creams I enjoy (especially C&E Sienna), but im basically a soap guy

Have you tried Tabac shave soap? :biggrin:
I have indeed, infact, I have contracted Tabaculosis from loving it so much.

Tabac is a favourite, sure - the scent might not be for some guys, but it is for me! Its even one of SWMBOs faves :thumbup1:
proxy.php

Where did you get your first straight razor? was it shave ready?
I bought a straight and strop combo from one of our members in the BST - Arfed. That cat made off with my money and was never seen again. I then bought some straights on ebay, did them up (my first resto, and have been doing them and enjoying every mite of it ever since, im actually about to re-organise my garage and build in a workbench to increase my capacity!, but I digress) and had them honed by Os, in Oz (the first one, and still one of my favourites below)
proxy.php

Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
my first straight shave was actually pretty good. A bit rough on the neck, but pretty servicable. I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel, because I had been getting great shaves of a DE, and word on the street was that straights were even better. And now I can confirm that, straights kick ***.

Do you shave in the morning? How much time does it take?
I generally shave at night, because im lazy and like the time in bed. Plus its a nice way to wind down after a days work. Its probably about half an hour from start to finish, incl stropping and cleanup time. If the mood takes me I can stretch it out or quicken it up.

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
3 razors:
-My New RW purist. because its very cool, and my first new razor (all the rest are vintage).
-My Joseph Elliot double notched. because its an amazing shaver, a real looker, and cause it was my first big resto project.
-The Rogers frameback. Its another fantastic shaver, its a frameback, and it has those cool notches in the spine. Whats not to love?
proxy.php

2 brushes:
-The B&BLE08 - the brush my which all other brushes are measured, and none measure up. Hands down the best brush ive come across.
-Butterscotch Major - Picked up by my girlfriend in an antique store when she was travelling. She nearly didnt because 'it is all orange and doesnt look like your others' :thumbup:
proxy.php

3 soaps:
-Tabac, because its awesome
-GFT Limes, because its awesome
-Pens BB, with some tallow (in a fancy glass dish), because its awesome
proxy.php

2 creams:
The T&H was my first good cream, and still a favourite, and the Sienna is my favourite cream, a gift from lovely SWMBO
proxy.php

& 3 colognes:
Not much to say, I just love the way they smell
proxy.php

What is your honing set up for ebay specials?
Im still not great at honing, but ive a king 1200, 4000, 8000, chinese 12k and coti/BBW, I really need to set some time aside to have a decent play with them and get my edges where I want them.

How do you like the King 1.2k for bevel setting?
Well its the only one I have for bevel setting (havent tried the coti with that much slurry yet), but it gets the job done. its pretty slow to cut a whole new bevel after a resto, but I dont really have anything to compare it to

how often and what's your method for touching up your straights?
I very rarely have to touch them up - the benefit of a large rotation. I made a paddle strop with rouge and cromox on it which is ok, otherwise ive the c12k and now a coti (as yet untried). Probably once a year ill need to touch up each razor. Im always surprised when guys say they need to touch up once a week etc - makes me think that maybe their stropping needs some work.

Would you say you enjoy stropping? how many laps do you do?
Yeah, it was frustrating at first to go sooo slooooowly and still nick my strop. Now i can whip through it no drama. I go ~20 on canvas and ~60 on leather, though once im on the leather its mainly by feel.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?
Just bought 1778, a book about the first fleet coming to Australia. And its because you yanks decided to have a tea party, and the scum (my ancestors) needed to be sent somewhere with a nice climate, so thanks!

Favorite Movie or two?
Easiest question yet - The Blues Brothers

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?
Official family motto, dating back for hundreds of years is alternatively 'VICTORY FROM THE HILLS!' and 'DEATH FROM THE HILLS!'. Either way, some naked scotsman, somewhat resembling me liked running down hills at englishmen and vikings back in the day, and decided to briefly summarise it on a crest.

My personal motto is 'im invincible'.

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
First your pants, THEN your shoes. And then there was the time in the GSL when shaving a Balloon came up, and nobody advised me not to :001_rolle

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
B&B is all things to all men. A great place to learn about straights, get your technique critiqued, and buy new stuff on the BST. Its also a great place to hang out with some of the best guys around. Using a straight can be a bit tricky, and a bit daunting, but its well worth it

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great interview Marcus! Thanks Josh!

Legion

Staff member
Love the balloon shave. I hadn't seen that one before. I'll have to have a go at that.

When I'm drinking again...

Hey...a Dunny interview! :thumbup1:

Dunny, WRT the story behind 1778...I've always considered it ironic that the original settlers of Australia were not necessarily the nicest folk ....goes to show you that ancestry doesn't mean squat...the modern day Aussies are ok in my book :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Fantastic interview. The picture of the cat and the opera house is one of the best pics I have ever seen on this site. :thumbup1:

Thanks for the kind words, all :thumbup1:

Hey...a Dunny interview! :thumbup1:

Dunny, WRT the story behind 1778...I've always considered it ironic that the original settlers of Australia were not necessarily the nicest folk ....goes to show you that ancestry doesn't mean squat...the modern day Aussies are ok in my book :lol:

Australia was, for a time, considered as a place for all English loyalists to go and hide at after you guys had your war and booted the Brittish - its a good thing that didnt happen or we really would be a bunch of rotters :w00t:

Love the balloon shave. I hadn't seen that one before. I'll have to have a go at that.

When I'm drinking again...

Do it mate - its pretty fun - and easier than you would think.

Fantastic interview. The picture of the cat and the opera house is one of the best pics I have ever seen on this site. :thumbup1:
What a majestic kitty! :thumbup1:

Thanks guys, I miss my kitty :crying:

There is more then 1 SMWBO ????? You poor poor man:blushing::blushing:

:lol::lol: It has its advantages :tongue_sm

Great interview! Didn't really know about this idea, now I've got a whole bunch of stuff on the wiki to read. Thanks Luc!

Marcus, based on your coffee ritual, i've gotten a couple of dry cappaccino's mid morning. They're perfect for the fall season!

thanks for the tip :thumbup1:

Top Bottom