What's new

Straight Shaver Interview - Maxman

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Today's interview will be with Marc (maxman). I would like to thanks Marc for his patience and time to do this interview. All interviews are available in Wiki on this page. As always, if you have any further questions, please post in this thread.

Who are you? / Where are you located?
My name is Marc. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

How do you take your coffee?
No coffee for me, but I'll occasionally take a herbal tea (usually Honey Lemon) with one sugar.

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
I used an electric when I first started shaving as a young lad. I always got lots of irritation on my neck. My friends convinced me I'd get a better shave with a Mach 3. Indeed I did, but my neck was still very irritated. I then went to an Sensor Excel with better results, but still with irritation on my neck. While complaining to a co-worker, he suggested I try this stuff called "Williams". I did. I picked up a cheap brush and off I went. Later I was talking to my Dad and he told me that people used badger brushes. An internet search on badger brushes brought me to B&B. I learned here that others had the same problems I was having. I took the recommendation to try a DE (a Blue Tip) and here we are today.

What was it that held your interest?
There's just something about the process. Everything about it is enjoyable. It's really hard to nail down exactly what is so appealing about all this. There is so much to learn and so many variables.

If i remember from your posts, you started with DE's before switching to straights; What did you start with?
My very first DE was a 1957 Gillette Blue Tip. When I joined up, it came recommended as the razor to start with. I moved into a 1959 Gillette Fat Boy not long after that.

Shave Cream & Soaps? what did you find that worked well from those initial trials?
The Williams was a rough go. I just couldn't get it to lather with that lousy cheap brush. My first soaps I ordered were Col. Conk and D.R. Harris. The Conk I tried before the Harris. Mediocre results with the Conk. The Harris soap was amazing. That lead me to try TOBS which lead to Trumper's and on and on.

Where did you get your first straight razor? was it shave ready?
I got my first straight in a job lot from ebay. It was a Dubl Duck, 4/8 hollow ground spike point. Not the easiest to learn on. But I had it and I knew it to be a good name. It was not shave ready. I had it honed, picked up a filly strop and off I went.

Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
It's easy to say "hang in there" but it's a lot harder to do! I shaved off and on with a straight, watching videos and reading posts. At one point I thought I had everything figured out, but I just couldn't get the shave I wanted. I put down the Duck and went looking for a 5/8 razor that was a round point. I found one, had it honed by someone else just to see the difference. There was a big difference in the two razors. I felt renewed and carried on. This is going on about 2 months now. I still was off and on with the straight, but getting better shaves each time. Then I spent the money on a decent strop.

That made a huge difference. At that point I had more confidence and was finally getting the shaves I liked. This happened at around 3 months of trying.

However, recently I've come to love the Feather AC razors with the Kai blades.
I'm starting to use them more and more, but still like to keep up my skills with the traditional blades now and again.

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
3 razors:

• Boker Red Injun 101 R.P.
  • Feather Artist Club DX with Kai blades
  • Le Grelot Royal Canada

2 brushes:
  • Rooney 3/2 in Super
  • RV Shaving custom with finest knot.

3 soaps:
  • Trumper's Coconut
  • MWF
  • Arko

2 creams:
  • Trumper's Lime
  • Shiseido Men

3 colognes:
  • Burberry London
  • Guerlain Vetiver
  • Kanon Norwegian Wood

3 Aftershaves:
  • I only use Thayer's Witch Hazel No Alcohol Toner.

What is your strop preference and what is your stropping regime?
I'm using a Legion MooRoo. 30 Moo then 50-60 Roo.

What is your honing set up for ebay specials?
I'm not skilled enough to do one yet. I do have a coticule. It's fantastic for finishing.
Maybe one day I'll give an ebay razor a try.

How often and what's your method for touching up your straights? favorite finish?
I just go Moo then Roo until it needs the coticule. Then it's just a quick few passes to get them back up to speed. I have a fairly fast coti.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?
I started in on The Game of Thrones again in anticipation of the next book in the series.

Favorite Movie or two?
Donnie Darko
Romeo + Juliet (Baz Lurhmann version)
Robocop

With what fictional/historical character do you most identify?
Winnie the Pooh. He's simple, yet deep. Often the simple answers are the most important ones.

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?
My Dad taught me the best lesson about money:
"You spend some, you save some and you give some away"
Manage your finances accordingly and you'll be happy. Indeed I am.
I also very much believe that you get out of life what you put into it.

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
Map your face. Like a race car driver knows his track, you too need to know your face.
It's a basic skill worth learning.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
Spend the time to learn the basics. Don't worry about trying everything under the sun. That's likely to happen anyway. Concentrate on what skills you need that can transfer across any gear. Pressure and face mapping are two such skills.

Here are a few pictures. I don't collect straights (my wallet thanks me). All the straights I own are being used, some have spots and whatnot, but they all shave well.

5/8 Le Grelot Royal Canada

5/8 H. Boker Red Injun 101 R.P and G5 Scuttle

Feather Artist Club DX and RV Shaving Custom brush

Gillette Toggle, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and vintage Simpsons M1 with Silvertip knot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding interview! Those straights are simply gorgeous.

What size is that Grelot?

5/8. It's in perfect shape, not a mark on it. It also came with the original red plastic slip case.
I picked it up because it says Royal Canada on it. I'm Canadian....how could I pass that up??

Top Bottom