What's new

Straight Shaver Interview - alabamalawyer

I have a theory that anyone who has PM'd back and forth with Chris, has discovered what a valuable member he is. When Chris posts a sale, there is always a member responding in the thread, thanking him for his generosity. When i first jumped into the B&B, there were multiple occasions where i'd posted a fairly esoteric WTB, and on more than a couple occasions, it was Chris who helped me out.

I'm so grateful he was willing to do the interview, and not only did he gave a great one, but we've also got some of the best SRAD pics i've ever seen! :w00t:

Thanks Chris!!

Who are you?
-Chris

Where are you located?
-Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Have you been there long? How do you like Tuscaloosa?
-I moved to Tuscaloosa to attend law school in 1990 and have been here since. Tuscaloosa is the right-sized town for me. I grew up in a small town, so Tuscaloosa keeps some of the small town elements, but has enough size that you can track down anything you need (except for shaving supplies). I have never wanted to live in a truly large city, so Tuscaloosa works out perfectly for me.

How do you take your coffee?
-Don't drink it. There have been some mutterings in my office about revoking my bar license as I somehow made it through law school without becoming a caffeine addict.

What kind of law do you practice? i was in court today and was very impressed with the procedure. do you enjoy your profession?
-I practice criminal defense law through our local Public Defender's Office. I enjoy the work I do. It is often easy to become cynical toward people charged with crimes. This job helps me see not only the person, but also the circumstances that lead him/her to this point in his/her life. As such, my work job involves the legal issues and representation, but also contains a social work element as we work toward addressing underlying issues such as substance abuse, mental health treatment, education, etc.

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
-I, like most, got tired of the irritating, uncomfortable shaves I got with a cartridge razor. I started browsing the net and found a piece on straight razor shaving, and the journey began.

do you remember what you saw?
-I think the first traditional wet-shaving item, I really read was Chris Moss' straight-shaving guide. I was hooked from there.

What was it that held your interest?
-The constant desire for perfection. As great as my shaves are, I still believe they can get better. I don't know everything about straights, DEs, blades, soaps, creams, etc. So as long as I have more to try and learn, the journey will continue.

-That and AD in all conceivable areas -- straights, brushes, soaps, cream, DE razors, aftershaves, and colognes. Prior to this adventure, I had a Mach3 cartridge razor, a can of Edge gel, one bottle of Nivea aftershave and a can of Old Spice body spray. The "My Gear" link in my signature line tells the rest of the story.

And a great story it is! I know personally that you're VERY versed in the products that are popular in the forums, and know you'll try the esoteric along with the mass produced. It's a lot of fun seeing that you're still enjoying the journey and don't consider yourself arrived.
-This is really where B&B helps. The large membership, especially from people outside the CONUS, really allows for input and information on items that we otherwise would never hear of, much less get the opportunity to try.

What shaving products did you start with?
-Actually I started with a straight. I purchases a new Dovo straight set from a on-line vendor and began my journey. After working on that for a little while, I found B&B and this thing called a DE razor. The journey on the straight had been bumpy up to that point, so I bought a Merkur HD and then things really took off.

Where did you get your first straight razor? was it shave ready?
-I got my first blade from Vintageblades, and the first time, didn't the get the shave-ready option. I quickly sent it off to a honemeister for proper treatment.

Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
-I put down my DE razor and made myself use the straight for my whole shave. This wasn't easy as I need to be clean shaven each day. After a few months, it just began to click. It really helped when I stopped focusing on the mythical 30 degree angle, and just shaved with what angle felt comfortable. In fact, I get the blade almost flat against my skin on my upward stroke on my neck, as this gives me a close shave and no irritation.

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:

Straight razors: August Plumacher with custom scales by Max, Filarmonica Doble Temple 13 & Duble Duck Special #1 with custom scales by Max

Looks like primarily full hollows, have you found them to be your preference?
-I really do prefer them. I have an extremely tough beard, but also have sensitive skin. I blame this combination on my hairy father and red-headed mother. I got the best/worst of both. I have a very heavy beard but it grows out red, well gray in some areas now. I have found that the full-hollows with their little bit of "flex" work better for me than the stiffer grinds.

This is what peaked my recent interest in the replaceable-blade straights. I have picked up a Feather Artist Club and Kai Excelsia and have really enjoyed the shaves they are giving me. I have found that it easier to cut myself with these than a traditional straight, but when used properly, the shave is incredibly smooth and close.

I've only seen Max's work on photo's, and of course it's always completely gorgeous, how are they in the hand? im particularly interested in the texture and feel of his scales and finish work.

Max's work is incredible. He truly has an eye for detail and perfection in his work. His scales and beautiful, but even more so, they are technically perfect. That is, the wedges line up correctly and smoothly, the pinning is done precisely and neatly, and the balance between the blade and scales is ideal. If you get a chance to grab a blade he has done, grab it, as you will not be disappointed.

DE razors: EJ Chatsworth Barley and BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe with long-tooth, open-comb NEW head. Feather blades to use in both.

Brushes: Rooney Finest 1/2 and Simpson Chubby 1 Super in two-band

Soaps: Penhaligon's EF (tallow version), D.R. Harris Almond and SRD Bulgarian Rose

Creams: Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Acca Kappa 1869 Almond (the one that comes in the tub)

Colognes: Domenico Caraceni 1913, L'Occitan Pour Homme and Diptyque Philosykos

Im a huge DC fan too. how do you think it compares to C&S #88 which it seems to be often compared too?
-I think they are two very different scents. The C&S 88 has a rose/incense combination that is wonderful, but, to me, is better suited to cool weather. The DC is lighter scent with a bit more green in it, which is better for year-round wear. I have both and really like both. Although both have a solid rose note, they are very different scents.

What is your honing set up for ebay specials?
as well as how often and what's your method for touching up your straights? favorite finish?

-Honing? I thought if I bought enough razors then I would never have to hone any of them. So far that plan has worked.

Great answer! :biggrin:
-However, once I start down the honing path, I'm sure it will develop into an expensive AD!

Do you have a method for touching up?
-Right now I do have a barber's hone and also a CO pasted, balsa wood strop for touch-ups.

what do you use as a daily strop?
-My favorite, at least right now, is my SRD Premium 1 Leather strop. I really like the smoothness I get on the blade when using it. I usually do about 40-60 strops on my TM linen before getting to the leather stropping.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?
-If You Give A Pig A Pancake, well, ok, this is my daughter's favorite but it is the one I have read the most the last few weeks.

Kids books are fantastic! do your girls have a favorite or two?
-They certainly vary, but the whole series done by the author of "If You Give A Pig A Pancake" is very popular in my house right now. We also own, and hence, I read frequently, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, If You Throw A Pig A Party, and If You Give A Cat A Cupcake.

Favorite Movie or two?
-Really don't have a favorite. I tend to enjoy all kinds.

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?
-Proverbs 31:8-9: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and need."

-My wife cross-stitched this passage and had it framed. It now hangs on the wall of my office for those times when I need a reminder of why I do criminal defense work through the Public Defender Office.

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
-I don't remember who gave it, but it was what I referenced above about straights -- to really learn how to use one, you have to remove the DE safety net, and use the straight for the whole shave. This doesn't necessarily need to be done right when you start, but within a couple of months, put down the DE, and do the whole shave with the straight.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
-Don't expect the best shave ever the first time, especially with a straight. Using one takes time and practice

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Outstanding interview.
Outstanding collection.
Outstanding member.

:thumbup1:

Outstanding interview.
Outstanding collection.
Outstanding member.

:thumbup1:

This man said it all!!!!
Chris has been great to buy from, sell to and trade with as well as a great guy to shoot the bull with and enable one another with various AS's be it brushes or straight razors or colognes or anything else remotely shave related :thumbup:

Awesome interview with an awesome (by another awesome guy:lol:). It's always a pleasure reading Chris' posts and comments on B&B

Amazing collection Chris :thumbup1:

These are so much fun.

Roll Tide, Chris. Roll Tide.

My daughter loves that book as well. In fact, she loves all of those Laura Joffe Numeroff/Felicia Bond books.

Top Bottom