What's new

Straight razors with uneven spine thickness

I'm relatively new to straight razor shaving, honing and collecting, but going through my small pile of SRs I have found an issue. I don't know how common or serious it is.

Two of my recently acquired SRs don't have the same spine thickness from the toe to the heel. The spines ate thicker at one end, and thinner at the other - and by a significant amount I think (20% in one case).

Exhibit 1. Modern production SR acquired from Amazon before I even found this forum (after reading a lot here I probably wouldn't purchase that one now, but hey-ho). At first I suspected it may be a modded GD 1996, but now after getting a 1996 I'm pretty certain it isn't. It doesn't shave well, even after 2 attempts at honing. I did some measurements, and I think I may know why. The spine is thicker at the toe and thinner at the heel, the difference is about 0.5mm. The calculated bevel angles are 14 degrees at the toe, 12 degrees at the heel.

Exhibit 2. Vintage English SR, Spanish point. It's in pretty good condition, have not tried to hone or shave with it yet. Reasonably sharp as received, shaves hair on my forearm but not tree tops. It has a similar problem - the spine is thinner at the toe than at the heel, and is too thick for the width of the blade. Calculated bevel angles 18.2 degrees at toe, 20.4 degrees at heel. The spine profile is also uneven, it gets thicker at a slow rate until about mid-blade (angle in mid-blade is 18.6 degrees) and then curves outward quicker. Again the difference is about 0.5mm between toe and heel, but because this spine is on average thinner it makes for a bigger percentage difference.

Now my questions.

1. How big of a problem is it? With a spine not parallel to the blade edge, this IMO will cause issues with honing, setting the bevel etc.

2. Should I try to correct it by grinding the spine? I'm willing to sacrifice the modern razor to the stochastic gods, but probably not the vintage one.

3. What method to use for correction? Obviously the spine would need to be ground more the the thicker end, and less or not at all at the thinner one. Also it needs to be done symmetrically on both sides as to not make the blade warped. And gradually less as one progresses to the thick to the thin end.

4. Does it even need to be corrected? Can I get around it by other means - taping only half or 1/3 of the spine at the thinner end during honing, would that work?

Please feel free to chime in, especially if you've encountered/dealt with this issue before. Any advice appreciated!

(also I'm wondering how common this is; I only have a small sample of razors, 5 pieces of which 2 have uneven spines. Seems high proportion to me, or maybe it's just my usual ironic luck)

is it a problem? depends on who you ask or who responds.

generally it would be nicer to have evenness across the spine and bevel, but there is a range of angles that work to shave.

there are some razors specifically uneven spine and wider width transitions to account for bevel angle for aesthetic purposes. it’s probably not whats going on purposely, but that doesnt mean it can’t be made to be that way.

whatwver you do to make it wven works. so taped areas can help correct the transition. so can differential pressure.

iirc most of the GD mods have guys who fixed the spine.

when i hone blades just go with it and see how the shave is, i doubt i would notice that transition in a blade.

geometry of a slight smiling edge might have slughtly different widths across the spine

I just have a little experience with honing. But what i do is put it first to the stone and see where the scratches end up, but if its noticably thicker on one end of the spine i tape the edge then start grinding. Now you cant be sure if the edge is perfectly flat either. Tape what you dont want to grind in a hope to even it out. A little back and forth game. When you think you got it right, place it on a flat surface, glass ect, and touch each corners to make sure its flat.
Again i dont have alot of experience, but that is how i do it. More experienced guys may have some other technique, not sure.
For me, working around a warped blade is abit too difficult, not sure i would get the perfect edge.

Top Bottom