What's new

Straight razor or cutthroat (Australia)

I can't be the only one in Aus that prefers to say 'straight razor

Do you say "cutthroat" or "straight razor "?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There are heaps of Aussies that love shaving with a straight razor. I started in Melbourne!

Legion

Staff member
I say straight razor. But if I look to buy or sell one on ebay I check both. Cut throat seems to be the more commonly used.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I say straight razor here at B&B. In NZ they are known as cut throat razors and when I say straight razor no one knows what I am talking about.

Calling them cut throats sounds over dramatized and pretentious to me. I'm in the US, and I realize that my reaction could be cultural, if I were living somewhere where this was the commonly used name I likely wouldn't have this reaction. I think most non straight razor shavers can't look at a straight razor without having images of a cut throat and I prefer to leave this unsaid.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In English I always say straight razor, in Italian they are called "rasoio a mano libera".

Cut throat has a morbid ring to it that I do not enjoy, so I say straight razor.

I do however prefer the german and swedish name for it: shaving knife. "Rasiermesser" and "rakkniv" respectively

I say straight razor, then no one knows what I'm talking about and I have to begrudgingly say cutthroat before people understand.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I like how in French it is called a coupe choux, "cabbage cutter".

That's right, don't ask me why. I never refer to it as a coupe choux in French. It's not a usual subject either so...

Top Bottom