What's new

Straight Razor in the Future?

I am thinking about getting into straight razor shaving. I am curious how long the blade goes between honing. I really don't even want to try to hone my own, just strop. Is this doable or do the blades need to be honed on more than a say every 3 month basis?

if you use pastes (on a paddle strop, or balsa wood) you can make your blade last much longer between honing on a stone (assuming nothing happens to the edge).

You could also get a high grit stone to occasionally refresh the edge, but if thats not something youre interested in I would go with pastes.

a lot of factors go into it but generally if you get a pasted paddle strop I would think 6 months would be a general area,

of course an easy solution is to buy more then 1 as by the more you rotate them all the less they will all need touch ups or honing, it may sound expensive now but don't worry if you decide straights are for you and SRAD disorder kicks in you won't have a choice anyhow, I think I can go a few years without ever honing a razor again :redface:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A bonus to the plan of buying more than one razor, is you have one on hand when the other is out getting honed. I'd say get three (or more) so you can save on shipping, always sending two out & shaving with the third.

I've been shaving with straights for a good 18 months now, and have never needed to hone any of them yet. I have 3 in my main rotation, and another 5 or 6 that get used on special occasions.

Top Bottom