What's new

Stop buying everything, enjoy your products (newbies watch this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Until he/she got a bit preachy?"

Now this member suggests that I could be a "she" under the name Nikos with Robert de Niro as an avatar... You guys are hilarious.

You can do whatever you want with your hard-(or easy)earned money. You can even burn them if you wish. I don't give a damn.
I was just trying to offer an advice to folks who just started and think they have to spend serious amounts of money to achieve better results. Read the title again.
I didn't know that this could start all this. Maybe some here have financial interests and we must all continue throwing our money away to artisans and vendors to keep them pleased.
I did start with the best of intents, but I didn't expect such reactions.

I won't start another thread ever again. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
You will find greater values here. We are told:
"Curiosity killed the cat,
But satisfaction brought it back."
It is the same story with groceries.
"Prices will sell Groceries, but it is always finality that brings the buyer back."

It took me a while to interpret this poem until I looked up the definition of finality. I take it to mean "my mind is made up." I no longer need to engage people who have different opinions. However, I do listen because I'm old enough to make up my mind to change if given sufficient reasons.

I won't start another thread ever again. Lesson learned.

Hey Nikos ..... Please don't let the wide variety of discussion on this particular thread get you upset.
The great thing about B&B is the ability for us all to share our thoughts and offer opinions (which may
not always be comfortable for some members to hear) on these wonderful forums.
Indeed, Sir, please continue with your thread postings. :a14::a14::a14::a14::a14:

@Nicholas,

Those who agree with you are in the majority. We don't see them as they don't come to shaving forums.

At the risk of starting another war, I'll say "My mind is made up."

I'll only buy to replace. The only soap I'll buy is Williams because it works. If I do decide to try another soap, I'll use up all my Williams and small quantity of other soaps first. Then I'll 3017 the new soap. I've picked a few soaps to try if that eventuality arrives.

The only blade I'll buy is ASTRA SP. It works well for me, and there is no need to change.

I'll keep my Van Der Hagen razor until it breaks, and then I'll use my Manion M5 (Merkur Future clone) until it breaks. Then I'll buy another Van Der Hagen or the equivalent Weishi.

I'll keep my Cremo horsehair brush until it breaks or wears out. Then I'll buy a replacement of the same type if it is available. If not, I have an inexpensive synthetic brush picked out.

I don't use aftershave, baums, preshave or other products.

To all those marketers who try to entice me with promises of a better shave, I say "My mind is made up." I don't even see their advertisements anymore.

To those who try to convince me to another way to enjoy shaving, I say, "My mind is made up. I'm a buy to replace shaver." To those who say I have a closed mind, I say, "I don't want my brains to fall out."

Others can make up their own minds concerning their approach to shaving.

@Nicholas is making a valid point.

People on these forums have given cute nicknames to their apparently compulsive purchasing of products (re: "ADs") and there even challenges to NOT purchase products for a set period of time that people FAIL. A grooming routine is regarded as a hobby here. Shaving, as a hobby (whatever floats your boat). Any company that has a share in any given market knows that people want novelty and the "best" , or a competitive edge, or nostalgia, or whatever, and will look to use that to sell their products. It's business, and it's a major part of marketing. It warrants discussion and being brought into awareness. Look around. There are plenty of threads where someone is obsessing over their next purchase. There have been threads of people asking for people to give them stuff because they can't make it work in their own budget to buy these things. Personally, I have noticed that the less time I spend here, the less I want to buy these things. Others have reported the same after a hiatus from this forum. There is an echo chamber here, and on any forum dedicated to a specific thing or hobby, and it pulls people in. It can pull people in deep. Companies don't recognize this as an opportunity? Please, it's a juicy opportunity. Nothing against a company trying to make a profit, though.

Some of you seem to be offended by this. As if your favorite artisan isn't using marketing to influence anyone into buying their products, or your personal choices are being attacked. At the end of the day, it's whatever you need to rationalize buying a dozen soaps every month or spending $100's on the latest machined stainless steel safety razor. If you're fine with it, then be fine with it. You have an "AD" real bad? Sure. It's a hobby. OK. Some do not see it that way.

Same goes for the minimalists types. If you want to spend as little at possible and keep with a strict set-up, bully for you. No one has to subscribe to that point of view.

Just stumbled across this. Wowza.

Watched part of the video. Yawn. Read the comments.

Keep in mind I used a DE and brush and soap for years before all of today's choices existed. Drugstores sold one or two brushes, one or two soaps. That was it.

Over the last few years I have enjoyed auditioning many razors, brushes, soaps and blades. Some were better than others, a couple were stinko.

My current roster of kit is fairly small as I have refined my list of favorites. Thoreau suggested we simplify, simplify, simplify; that is a process, and I have been working at it. However, my goal is not one soap or one brush. A little variety makes life interesting!

I love crab cakes. Don't want to eat 'em every day. Very fond of risotto, but would not enjoy eating the dish frequently. Likewise, adore pasta, but in moderation, please.

There are folks who are collectors, folks who just love to spend money, and folks who don't. More than enough room in this tent for everyone. Some will get a kick out of using Arko and a $3 razor, and others will need a walk-in closet for all their kit. As the kids say, "Whatever."

We can agree or not about any number of things on this forum. However, let's keep working at keeping things polite. Agree or disagree, but let us not be disagreeable.

It is just shaving. :)

Mac

Very true. Simple setup is awesome. I have GC .84, Karve C SB/D OC, Parker Variant, Razorock Slant, Parker 94R, Yaqi DOC, Schick Injector G. Also tried a lot of Artisan soap in sample format and Puck. My Parker 94R($28) razor gives me the best shave, smooth and efficient, two pass bbs. My Tabac and Pre de provence 63 performs better than many so called Artisan soaps.

Just stumbled across this. Wowza.

Watched part of the video. Yawn. Read the comments.

Keep in mind I used a DE and brush and soap for years before all of today's choices existed. Drugstores sold one or two brushes, one or two soaps. That was it.

Over the last few years I have enjoyed auditioning many razors, brushes, soaps and blades. Some were better than others, a couple were stinko.

My current roster of kit is fairly small as I have refined my list of favorites. Thoreau suggested we simplify, simplify, simplify; that is a process, and I have been working at it. However, my goal is not one soap or one brush. A little variety makes life interesting!

I love crab cakes. Don't want to eat 'em every day. Very fond of risotto, but would not enjoy eating the dish frequently. Likewise, adore pasta, but in moderation, please.

There are folks who are collectors, folks who just love to spend money, and folks who don't. More than enough room in this tent for everyone. Some will get a kick out of using Arko and a $3 razor, and others will need a walk-in closet for all their kit. As the kids say, "Whatever."

We can agree or not about any number of things on this forum. However, let's keep working at keeping things polite. Agree or disagree, but let us not be disagreeable.

It is just shaving. :)

Mac

+1 and amen. I actually mostly use a Panasonic Arc 5 now with all my DE software and brushes, and only occasionally break out my DEs - which include the RS-10, ATTs, iKons, vintage Gillettes, Rex, Tatara, Blackbird, Feathers, and several Timeless razors. And more than a few vintage and current electrics, along with a several lifetime supply of blades, soap and AS. It's a hobby, and one of my less expensive ones - I don't even want to calculate what my fountain pens or firearms are worth, although my insurance company probably knows. :001_smile And there are forum members for whom my DE spread is just a starter kit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with one razor, one blade and one soap, and bravo to those so equipped - Jeff Cooper famously said "beware of the man with one gun" - there's room on the planet for everyone and I'm happy to share my opinions and experiences of 50 years of using everything but a straight, with brother and sister forum members - and I learn something every time I visit. The one standout of this forum is the historically collegial atmosphere and exchanges, and I certainly hope that continues. Peace out.

Last edited:
YMMV!
Now I'm off to Baskin Robbins, I hear they have 21 flavors of icecream, and I'm getting 2 or 10 scoops of each!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
YMMV!
Now I'm off to Baskin Robbins, I hear they have 21 flavors of icecream, and I'm getting 2 or 10 scoops of each!

I've heard the cherry nut was reformulated and doesn't scoop well. If you can find the old version, get all you can.

I've heard the cherry nut was reformulated and doesn't scoop well. If you can find the old version, get all you can.
Darn, I didn't take the vintage flavors in consideration as viable options. Now I need to find an aftermarket guy on Ebay selling old icecream. 21 plus flavors, here I come!

nicholas,

i went back and reread your inital post to make sure i really did understand. It appears that your point(s) is

• Vendors are in it for the money
  • Shills suck
  • Reviewers are hard to trust
  • Fanboys are just as bad
  • Forums fan the flames
I think the messaging through the YT guy, i’d never seen or heard of him before, was just off for me personally.

Not unlike when someone says why do you buy luxury goods at all.

I will say that I read all of the posts after the initial poster and I can't find many people that are opposed saving money. What I gathered was that a bunch of adults saw the initial post for what it was. It was riddled with half truths, baseless accusations, and posturing. Many have the ability to see that this is a clear projection of one person's guilt and anger towards what he perceived as being taken advantage of. In the end, the decision to spend the money is the buyer and the buyer alone. No one physically stole it. Marketing can be a little off putting at times, but no one forces you to purchase material items. In the rest of the responses I don't think I found clear opposition to saving money, as much as people saying what boils down to "live and let live." If someone can spend a ton of money and wants to then more power to them, it's their prerogative. If someone wants to only have one shave set, again more power to them. In this case I don't believe the bomber metaphor really holds up as I read that plenty of the opposition clearly knows how to spend their money much more responsibly that the original poster. Maybe you meant that all the responsible people here who know how to spend their money wisely are the opposition? If that is this case then I agree. However, if the implication of your metaphor was that the ones in opposition were opposing because they were the target, then I would respectfully disagree. Clearly the original poster was not making responsible purchases and is now upset and feels like a victim to the marketing machine. I am most certainly the opposite of that. I come to B&B for real people and truthful responses, not for an echo chamber. The lively debates here at B&B are great and we are all the better for it. Cheers!

agreed fully

every post I've seen from nikos here is directly insulting people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom