What's new

Stirling Syndicate

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I have three small pieces of Stirling Gatliburgh and lathered up with it a couple of days ago and got a good lather. I was surprised the amount of lather I got with just these small pieces. I was able to get a with the grain and across the grain passes with the first lather I got on my brush and re-lathered up again and got a smooth against the grain shave. Again I was surprised to how much lather I got from these three little pieces of soap!

I'm trying to find out what the scent longevity of the Stirling Bay Rum EdT is vs the splash? I love the scent, but like most Bay Rums it is short-lived. Does the EdT hang in there longer?

I have three small pieces of Stirling Gatliburgh and lathered up with it a couple of days ago and got a good lather. I was surprised the amount of lather I got with just these small pieces. I was able to get a with the grain and across the grain passes with the first lather I got on my brush and re-lathered up again and got a smooth against the grain shave. Again I was surprised to how much lather I got from these three little pieces of soap!
Not surprised. It doesn’t take a lot to get a great lather from Stirling

Yep. I use just 1/2 gram of Stirling per shave. That much gives me four to five passes of nice lather.

(Sent from mobile)

I bought an iKon Tech recently and thoroughly fell in love with it. I find that it gives me the best shave of all the razors I've tried so far. However, it's also very demanding and keeps me on my toes all the time. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and have no patience for it. So I'm wondering, what's the razor that'll give me a similar, if slightly less efficient shave, while not requiring that much attention.

For comparison, I already tried some DE razors on a more aggressive side. R41 is great, but its (semi?) open comb design makes it very rough on the skin. I also tried Nodachi and it's great, but I need something more efficient.

So I guess my question is, what's in between R41/Nodachi and iKon Tech?

Thanks.

Well, after having shaved with both, I was going to suggest a Timeless bronze OC, but if you shave steep enough to have the teeth bother you, that's out. I don't like the feel of the teeth either, but I use that as a guide for telling me when I'm shaving too steep. As always, YMMV.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant!!!!

I used to love the ikon tech. But it was fearsome to shave with. The Yaqi is closer and less dangerous.

FWIW I went thru a period where I really enjoyed and used aggressive razors, R41, Ikon Tech, Timeless Bronze .78, Futur wide open, etc etc. Eventually I grew tired of the demands on focus and concentration required to get a bloodless shave. I went back to one of my early razors, a EJ DE89 and spent a month learning to get the best shave from that mild razor. What I found was the same level of effort could produce a BBS, bloodless regularly. But if I wan’t up to that or did not have the time, I still got a near BBS no blood no irritation quick shave. I found that for me holding angle, learning best lather thickness, which blades all can make a DE89 as effective as my very aggressive razors, with less wear and tear on my skin. Of course YMMV.

R

romsitsa

Gen 2-3 Aristocrat or Gen 1-2 Aristocrat Jr. Both are pretty effective and smooth.

I would agree with the Progress suggestion. At level 6 to 6.5 it is probably close to my R41.

Something else you could try is changing out the top cap on the R41. I use mine with a Yaqi Mellon/Beast top cap, which is also similar to the PAA DOC and Razorock SLOC. About the same efficiency, but the razor just feels better.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sticking with razors in the $100 +/- range.

Blackland Razors Dart
Ikon B1 Standard
Karve SB-C, D or E
Yates 921-H

Is this price range good for you or do you want higher or lower priced options?

I am also in the process of comparing razors in the $75 - $125 price range on this thread:

Might be some good info for you there.

YMMV :cool:

Top Bottom