What's new

Stirling Syndicate

I have 2 Stirling ASB, Coconut Lime and Iced Pineapple. I find both have mid-strong scent strength and probably my longest lasting ASB of any I own, last longer then some of my splashes. They are the only balms I use without a splash due to the scent strength, which is a good thing.

Out of curiosity, which ASB do you have that seem unscented?

I have many Stirling ASBs because I usually buy their soaps in sets and I have quite a few of them that I enjoy.

I have finally come to the conclusion that their balms are virtually unscented. Is it me or am I not using enough product? I usually use a balm followed by a splash for scent longevity, but I think Stirling made the balms to stand on their own fragrance wise.

Which Stirling balms have you used? I agree with OldSchool Youngin - some are stronger than others. I have them in Lime, Barbershop, and Executive Man. My reaction to the EM was that it was weak, Barbershop seemed fairly strong scented, and the Lime was somewhere inbetween.

Doesn't matter much to me because I don't really buy the balms thinking they will last as long as the splashes.

I have many Stirling ASBs because I usually buy their soaps in sets and I have quite a few of them that I enjoy.

I have finally come to the conclusion that their balms are virtually unscented. Is it me or am I not using enough product? I usually use a balm followed by a splash for scent longevity, but I think Stirling made the balms to stand on their own fragrance wise.
I have Haverford, Barbershop, Baker Street, Piacenza, Island Man and Bay Rum all in splash and balm. I would suggest you use your splash first followed by the aftershave balm. I use them in that order and find I get better longevity that way. YMMV

Out of curiosity, which ASB do you have that seem unscented?

Of the Stirling ASBs in rotation now - Bay Rum, Sandalwood, Coniferous. Others that are packed away right now - off the top of my head Christmas Eve, Lime. I can't remember the strength of Gatlinburg and Ozark.

Maybe it's time for a Stirling ASB version 2.

Of the Stirling ASBs in rotation now - Bay Rum, Sandalwood, Coniferous. Others that are packed away right now - off the top of my head Christmas Eve, Lime. I can't remember the strength of Gatlinburg and Ozark.

Wow, that’s a half dozen different balms that smell unscented to you, I was expecting you to have 1 or 2, interesting. Maybe contact Stirling and give them the batch number off the sticker, maybe they are older batches or ones he had issues with. I know with a half dozen different ones it’s unlikely but maybe 🤷‍♂️

Wow, that’s a half dozen different balms that smell unscented to you, I was expecting you to have 1 or 2, interesting. Maybe contact Stirling and give them the batch number off the sticker, maybe they are older batches or ones he had issues with. I know with a half dozen different ones it’s unlikely but maybe 🤷‍♂️

Because there are so many I’m pretty sure it’s either me or their ASB philosophy.

Yeah I was going to say, that's a lot of scents and I've tried 2 of those that are not weakly scented to my nose. Maybe its time for a 'rona test?? (I know, bad joke, just couldn't help myself... mea culpa, its been a long week) :001_07:

Yeah I was going to say, that's a lot of scents and I've tried 2 of those that are not weakly scented to my nose. Maybe its time for a 'rona test?? (I know, bad joke, just couldn't help myself... mea culpa, its been a long week) :001_07:

It has been a long week. It's not the soaps or the splashes, just the balms that I find myself wondering about.

I've only used ASBs from Stirling and B&M and I'm finding the B&M balms to be very long lasting. I am really surprised at how much I have come to like them. I've been using Leviathan, Eigengrau, Dickens (until January), Lavanille and Roam (on occasion). On Roam I can't tell if it's more mildly scented or I am afraid to put too much on :). I also thought Hallows was mildly scented but in all fairness I didn't really give it a chance.

I ordered Sharp Dressed Man soap & AS balm a few years ago.
Mainly because I've sampled the splash and really enjoyed the scent.
The soap & balm I received had no scent other than plain soap/lotion smell. I contacted Sterling about the issue and received the following reply...

"Thanks so much for the feedback. You're actually not alone with the scent. I can't smell it most days when in soap or balm form, nor can a small percentage of our customers. There is something about that fragrance (most likely it's similarity to Irish Spring) that it just smells like soap to me. I've been making that scent for years, and I always have Mandy or Laura check each batch to make sure that they are good to go before we cap them. I'm sorry it did not meet your expectations. If there is anything else I can do to help out, please let me know."

I guess we fall into that "small percentage" category. :c10:

I have Haverford, Barbershop, Baker Street, Piacenza, Island Man and Bay Rum all in splash and balm. I would suggest you use your splash first followed by the aftershave balm. I use them in that order and find I get better longevity that way. YMMV

^^ This^^ is how I use Stirling balms as well. However, regarding the scent strenght of the balms I use right now I would rate them as follows:

Orange Chill - 2/3 out of 10
Deep Blue Sea - 4 out of 10
Sandpiper - 6 out of 10.

Happy camper with any of these balms, though.

Last edited:
I don't really use aftershave, so I prefer simple scents that are slightly stronger (though not as strong as a cologne) and can linger (relative to balms).

I'm thinking of maybe picking up some out the following. Any comments on the strength of scent would be helpful.

Gin & Tonic
Intrepid Man
Island Man
Lime
Margaritas in the Attic

I love Stirling soaps, but for some reason Barbershop is the only one I can't get a decent lather from. In the bowl it looks great, the consistency is as it should be, but when I put the lather on the face it just fizzles out in tiny bubbles. Anyone have this as well? All other scents work perfect.

I love Stirling soaps, but for some reason Barbershop is the only one I can't get a decent lather from. In the bowl it looks great, the consistency is as it should be, but when I put the lather on the face it just fizzles out in tiny bubbles. Anyone have this as well? All other scents work perfect.
I have a tub of barbershop and I haven't had this problem. I remember struggling a bit in the beginning but I got used to Stirling soaps and I can lather it to my liking every time. Try loading heavy and adding more water if the lather fizzles out.

Also, try scooping out of an almond size or a little more to a bowl, spreading it out thin and loading that way. This allows for a fixed amount of soap instead of guessing how much you load from the tub.

Top Bottom