What's new

Steadying your shots in the field: monopod recommendations

Hi Pete,

I hear what you're saying about reduced field of view. I was under the impression the Canon APS-C sensor increased magnification by a factor of 1.6x when using an EF or compatible lens, meaning a 350mm lens on a my EOS 80D now produces the same on-sensor image as a 560mm lens would on a 1x sensor (full frame). I may be misinterpreting what their definition of that concept is however.

I chose a monopod primarily because on the year previous I did bring a tripod for these early light shots (with a non-IS 35-350mm Canon lens) and simply couldn't get set up in time for several bird shots. Much of the area I was trekking is heavily overgrown so the thinking was a monopod would be lighter, faster, and provide sufficient stability to grab an early dawn shot if needed. According to reviews, the 28-300mm lens image stabilization is "tripod sensing", giving it the ability to adjust it's IS to reduce mirror shock even when tripod mounted. I know there are stabilized lenses it is recommended you turn off IS for mounted shots, but this is not one of them.

Thanks!

A lot of people think that with the crop vs FF mag factor, but sadly, its only a smaller FOV. The sensor can't change the magnification of a lens. However, as always, thats not the whole story....a decent crop sensor has smaller pixels, packed more closely together than a FF sensor. So that means its a little less light sensitive ...but... normally with wildlife photography, you need to crop a lot of the image away as the bird or whatever, is quiet small compared to the rest of the frame. The bit left after cropping should have more pixels (data, detail whatever) than the equiv full frame sensor. It also means you don't need to carry a heavy FF camera around, which is a saving in itself! Thats assuming a decent crop vs a FF. The most high end FF available have a very high resolution and are very good still when cropped down.

On the IS, thats really a good one to test in the back garden against any local wildlife or cats. Only you will know what works for you. Monos are great when you need to carry them, thats very true!

I know I am late to this party, but I have been looking for something to travel with as well and wondered if anyone had an opinion on something similar to this...Sirui makes a straight up monopod as well that gets props from "the angry photographer" on youtube, Benro and Manfrotto also make similar styles...

Sirui P-424SR Carbon Fiber Photo/Video Monopod SUP424SR B&H

I saw that during my searches and thought it looks great and should perform under the most demanding conditions. For my own use I ended up getting a "trigger stick" with Y shaped head that I can just throw my lens on for a quick shot as needed. Ended up not being able to test it that trip (last May) because my primary long zoom lens broke on me the day after I arrived. If you get it let us know how you like it :)

I saw that during my searches and thought it looks great and should perform under the most demanding conditions. For my own use I ended up getting a "trigger stick" with Y shaped head that I can just throw my lens on for a quick shot as needed. Ended up not being able to test it that trip (last May) because my primary long zoom lens broke on me the day after I arrived. If you get it let us know how you like it :)

Will do. May not get it or something like it until prior to my April trip. Just spent on a ext flash and lowepro flipside 400 backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late late reply but...

When I travel with a long focal lens I use the poor man's monopod. It does not work quite as well as a real monopod but better than shooting freehand especially on non-IS lenses. It's also very cheap and weighs next to nothing. And it's allowed for taking pictures in museums which ban the use of real tripods/monopods.

The poor man's monopod is this. Take a bolt that has a thread compatible with your camera body. Attach a piece of heavy string to it (paracord works well) several feet long. That's it. To use, you screw the bolt into the body and let the end of the cord fall to the ground. Step on the cord and pull the camera up to put tension on the cord. Not too lightly, not too hard - a medium amount of tension works. It stabilizes the position of the camera pretty well, and it's easy to adjust the height (just step on a different part of the string).

Manfrotto carbon fiber monopod. weighs less tan 2 pounds holds up to 11 pounds you can but a proprietary head on it or a ball head.

Here's my version of what Stamasd was describing. I've been using it for backpacking and urban exploration for almost twenty years now. Takes up almost no room and can be used anywhere and doesn't raise the eyes of museum security or what have you.
20190304_204241.jpg

Thin aircraft cable with an eyehook on one end for the camera and a loop for my foot.

Top Bottom