What's new

Statistical Nerds League (SNL)

This is not bad at all! Interesting too - your Comfort rating is more my Quality rating and Comfort rating combined. Nice!

You could turn 7 into Nick to have a distinction between weeper and weepers.
You have 4 ratings and I have only 2. Definitely some overlap there.

This thread is for me!

I keep all my shaving records in a couple of text files.

Henson Usage (number of shaves) through 05/09/2024
Total shave with Henson Razors: 900
Detailed breakdown by aggression:

Henson + = 435
Henson ++ = 187
Henson +++ = 278

Paul aka the self proclaimed Henson King

Lather Usage through 05/09/2024
Lather: Tabac Original = 152 (Completed)
Lather: Tabac Veggie = 105
Lather: MdC Rose = 37
Lather SV Manna = 17
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood = 18

Brush Usage through 05/09/2024
Current Rotation:
Dogwood Handcrafts = 87
Simpson CH2 = 89
Simpson X3 = 74
SOC Cherry = 83
SOC Mistura = 34
Zenith B17 = 32

This thread is for me!

I keep all my shaving records in a couple of text files.

Henson Usage (number of shaves) through 05/09/2024
Total shave with Henson Razors: 900
Detailed breakdown by aggression:

Henson + = 435
Henson ++ = 187
Henson +++ = 278

Paul aka the self proclaimed Henson King

Lather Usage through 05/09/2024
Lather: Tabac Original = 152 (Completed)
Lather: Tabac Veggie = 105
Lather: MdC Rose = 37
Lather SV Manna = 17
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood = 18

Brush Usage through 05/09/2024
Current Rotation:
Dogwood Handcrafts = 87
Simpson CH2 = 89
Simpson X3 = 74
SOC Cherry = 83
SOC Mistura = 34
Zenith B17 = 32
Very cool! Do you also keep record, shave by shave as well or just a tally of uses?

Very cool! Do you also keep record, shave by shave as well or just a tally of uses?
Yes I keep a shave by shave record as well dating back to June 11 2021. Here is my first entry:

SOTD Friday June 11, 2021
Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
Brush: Parker Synth Brush
Bowl: Shave Nation
Lather: Proraso Green Soap (8)
Razor: Gillette 1959 E4 Settings: ATG:3-WTG:2-XTG:1
Blade: Feather HI-Stainless
Balm: Proraso Green

Yes I keep a shave by shave record as well dating back to June 11 2021. Here is my first entry:

Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
tootsie pop 80s GIF

Sorry my mind wanders sometimes

Very cool indeed. I assume that all your entries then are in text format like this. If you used the same lines starts like "Brush:", "Bowl:", "Lather:" etc this could be turned into a csv file relatively easily using a Python script. That way you could load it into Excel or Google Sheets. There probably will be some manual correcting of data, but them you could do all of that summarizing and things there.

Very cool indeed. I assume that all your entries then are in text format like this. If you used the same lines starts like "Brush:", "Bowl:", "Lather:" etc this could be turned into a csv file relatively easily using a Python script. That way you could load it into Excel or Google Sheets. There probably will be some manual correcting of data, but them you could do all of that summarizing and things there.
Yes, it's been on my list of things to do. The daily shaves are in a dedicated text file while the totals are in an eclectic file where I keep track of a bunch of things. I refer to my approach as organized chaos. :)

Yes, it's been on my list of things to do. The daily shaves are in a dedicated text file while the totals are in an eclectic file where I keep track of a bunch of things. I refer to my approach as organized chaos. :)
Well there is a bit of organized chaos in my life too. Just ask my wife and she would tell you all about it. Do you know how to use Python scripting language?

Ok - 2022 shaves are in as well, so my database is now at 637 shave records. If those were the numbers of my PhD survey in 2009 I would have been even more over the moon than the 400 something I had!

Some lightweight analysis using Pivotal Tables in Excel:

Interestingly enough the top 3 razors during those shave remains the same: Blackbird, Canadian Tech and Gillette Single Ring. If I correct for number of shaves and only take those into account I have used 10 times or more a familiar list appears: Blackbird, NEW Improved, Mühle Rocca R94, Karve OC C, Lambda Athena, Green Cult 1, Ti95, Old Type, Fatip Nickel, and Eclipse Red Ring.

Now in the blades section lots of changes - mainly because I was much more over the place in 2022 in terms of blade usage. So across the 637 the top blades for me are: Rapira, 7 O'clock Yellow, Eddison, Rubie Plus, Star, Asco, GSB, GEM, Shark Chrome, Personna - if I correct for number of shaves with them and only include those I have used at lest 10 times, the top blades are pretty much according to my expectations: Eddison, Rubie Plus, GSB, Shark Chrome, Personna, Bolzano, PolSilver, Blue, KCG, Lord Platinum.

Having this information now in 1 format also enables me to make a cross table between highest effectiveness score for each razor and blade combination arriving therefore at best combinations. So the question of "which blade goes best with what razor or vice versa" can now be answered with sustantiated evidence. :pipe: :letterk1:

Ok - 2022 shaves are in as well, so my database is now at 637 shave records. If those were the numbers of my PhD survey in 2009 I would have been even more over the moon than the 400 something I had!

Some lightweight analysis using Pivotal Tables in Excel:

Interestingly enough the top 3 razors during those shave remains the same: Blackbird, Canadian Tech and Gillette Single Ring. If I correct for number of shaves and only take those into account I have used 10 times or more a familiar list appears: Blackbird, NEW Improved, Mühle Rocca R94, Karve OC C, Lambda Athena, Green Cult 1, Ti95, Old Type, Fatip Nickel, and Eclipse Red Ring.

Now in the blades section lots of changes - mainly because I was much more over the place in 2022 in terms of blade usage. So across the 637 the top blades for me are: Rapira, 7 O'clock Yellow, Eddison, Rubie Plus, Star, Asco, GSB, GEM, Shark Chrome, Personna - if I correct for number of shaves with them and only include those I have used at lest 10 times, the top blades are pretty much according to my expectations: Eddison, Rubie Plus, GSB, Shark Chrome, Personna, Bolzano, PolSilver, Blue, KCG, Lord Platinum.
Interesting you had the Rapira among the top blades, but you had not enough shaves on them. For me the Rapira is among the bottom blades. Now I do have a tuck of them that I will run through at some point and see if things change. I do suspect that they will.

What is the Eddison blade?

Having this information now in 1 format also enables me to make a cross table between highest effectiveness score for each razor and blade combination arriving therefore at best combinations. So the question of "which blade goes best with what razor or vice versa" can now be answered with sustantiated evidence. :pipe: :letterk1:
Indeed you can have a matrix of blade vs razor shave rating. However the number of shaves becomes quite demanding on that for me since I do not have a lot of shaves per razor/blade combo. Now that matrix can get rather large due to our BAD and RAD tendencies.

10 razors with 10 blades are 100 combinations!

Indeed you can have a matrix of blade vs razor shave rating. However the number of shaves becomes quite demanding on that for me since I do not have a lot of shaves per razor/blade combo. Now that matrix can get rather large due to our BAD and RAD tendencies.

10 razors with 10 blades are 100 combinations!
Yep! It’s a long list for sure🤣

Top Bottom