What's new

Staining

Hello,

first of all I'd like to say hi to everyone as it's my first post (but I've been reading the B&B forum for a while).

Now back to the point - few weeks ago I started shaving with a straight razor; still haven't mastered the blade but that's a different story. I have some strange problem with staining of the blade. What surprised me was the fact that it stained at all but what I find even more unbelievable is the 'pace' it is staining at - new spots appear after every shave (and I mean literally straight after the shave, not after few hours or something like that) - as I washed the blade after shave today I was like "Holy banana, what the hell is going on?! There are bazillions of new ones!"

My razor is Otto Busch Weltmeister (as you can see in the photo ;)). I do not leave the blade wet after shave; I rinse it with warm water and gently wipe with the towel and then I don't even close it but leave it open to dry. And I use Geo F. Trumper Rose Shaving Cream (but I doubt it's the cause of this :rolleyes5)

Is there anything you guys think I could do to stop this? Cause if it doesn't stop I'm afraid I will have no blade left in few months :rolleyes5 Am I doing anything wrong or it is fault of the razor/steel/whatever?

EDIT: Ah, and yes, the blade was perfectly clean when I bought it.

Last edited:
Try giving it a good polishing. That should remove the spots, and perhaps reduce the chance of them returning.

Some straight razors don't require much more than your routine does. But apparently yours does. I'd advise polishing, too.
And not to forget: After each shave wipe it dry, let it air dry for a few minutes (you can continue to clean up the sink or treat your face), and then coat it with a protecting oil. Some use carmelia oil, some use Ballistol, and then some use WD-40. IMO it doesn't matter what exactly you use. I'd get the one which you won't have to buy online (no shipping).

Ok thanks for your replies. I will try polishing it and I'll get some oil to protect it, hope it will solve the problem.

yeah, id try to polish those bad boys out with some maas on a q-tip or something.

where does the blade live when youre not using it, because if its in a bathroom where it steams up from showers then no matter how dry you get it after your shave, the condensation will hit it another time.

I dont oil mine between shaves, i keep mine in a little box in my bedroom with some silica gel packets thrown in to keep it nice and dry.

You might try a treatment of Tuf-Glide. I found that a light coat of this on a new (or newly polished) blade, allowed to dry and buffed off, then use your regular routine works well for me. Haven't had a blade spot in over a year.

where does the blade live when youre not using it, because if its in a bathroom where it steams up from showers then no matter how dry you get it after your shave, the condensation will hit it another time.

I don't keep it in the bathroom - as I usually shave in the evening I take it with me to the bedroom and let it air dry for couple more minutes as I am blow-drying my hair, then I close it and put it in a locker with fresh clothes :p Maybe it's the locker part as it's a bit air-tight...but rather not humid

Cześć, and witamy.

That staining pattern looks a little suspicious. What kind of scales does the razor have and in what condition are they?

Pudu: +1 for your skills in Polish ;)

As for the scales: I believe they are made of cellidor and I would say they seem to be in very good/mint condition.

Also, there is a photo of the blade after I've polished it a bit. Most of the surface problems seem to be gone now (together with the 'Weltmeister' engraving :( but the blade got a nice shine instead, so I think I can get along with that ;) ) however there are those tiny holes left and I don't think I will be able to get rid of them with just some polishing paste and I'm afraid (and I don't really think I'm skilled enough...) to use something more abrasive. I would say they do not bother me that much anymore as they are pretty much not visible unless you take a 1:1, against the light macro shot of the blade.

What concerns me though is the fact that they will probably attract moisture and will be the source of problems in the future...

As for the scales: I believe they are made of cellidor and I would say they seem to be in very good/mint condition.

Don't be too impressed with my Polish. I lived in Warsaw for a couple of years in the 90s and I'm afraid to admit how much Polish I've forgotten. I need to get back for a visit sometime soon.

My concern with the scales has to do with celluloid rot. The scales can start to break down and emit gases that cause damage to blades - damage that often appears not unlike what you are seeing. Keep an eye on your blade and if it continues, keep this possibility in mind. Bill Ellis wrote a great piece on celluloid rot.

http://razortips.blogspot.com/2007/05/celluloid-rot.html

And he posted a good buyer beware thread in the B/S/T forum.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70467&highlight=celluloid

I hope the polish helps. I have a razor that I'm refinishing at the moment and there are a couple of pits that are just too deep to sand out. I too am paranoid that they will become loci for subsequent rust damage. :sosp:

Stupid razor hobby.

Very interesting! Didn't know about it. And I must admit that it in fact looks somehow similar to my problems (but I hope it's not happening to my straight...)

So...I guess my next straight will have wooden scales :p

Top Bottom