What's new

SRAD is Hitting Me Hard...

Well,

3 months of DE wet shaving and I've got to say I have now been infected with SRAD. And contrary to H1N1, there does not seem to be any vaccine for it :em2300:

During my first 2 months, I was pretty happy with my Merkur HD. Didn't understand too much the whole thing about getting as many razors as possible. Then I read the Gillette Tech was a mild shaver that could be appreciated by people with sensitive skin and since I still had some sensitivity problems in my neck at that point, and since Techs are cheap to get, I figured "what the heck ?" and quickly snapped one on eBay. I was hooked.

My next target was the Fat Boy, who appeared to me like a slick and deadly serious tool for shaving. I grabbed one 2 weeks ago in the BST forum in near mint condition and I love shaving with it.

Yesterday I grabbed the little but taller brother of the Fat Boy, that is a 1965 Slim, and today I happened to be the first one to see that a 1953 President in excellent condition was up for selling in the BST forum. Guess what ? I grabbed it too...

Now Super Speeds are making me dreaming, and I am also thinking that since I so much love my Fat Boy, a golden Executive Fat Boy would be a nice Xmas gift to do to myself (that thing is going to be much too expensive for the SWMBO to buy and give to me)...

HELP ME SOMEONE ! I'M GOING CRAZY ! :em2100: :em2100: :em2100:

I believe the technical term is RAD, where SRAD applies to straights. In either case, the prognosis is grim. My best to you and yours.

Welcome to the RAD race Gentlemen! Just to let you know what you're up against, I took delivery of my first DE on Sept. 1st. This pic was taken the first week of October... and this isn't even close to what a current pic would look like :scared:. I like to think I'll eventually get caught up and have shaved with each one I've bought. But 7 were delivered a few days ago. And earlier today, I won a bid on a lot of 8 I expected to be outbid on, then tonight I've come home to find I'd won another bid for one... :crying:

proxy.php

Now Super Speeds are making me dreaming, and I am also thinking that since I so much love my Fat Boy, a golden Executive Fat Boy would be a nice Xmas gift to do to myself (that thing is going to be much too expensive for the SWMBO to buy and give to me)...
Yup, you're a goner for sure and you haven't even touched Aristocrats or Adjustables yet.

The information on this forum, and the example of other members, certainly can exacerbate a case of RAD. I had 9 safety razors when I joined, it's now 19 at home, with a Schick Injector on the way. I won't invite derision by saying that this is definitely the end, but I do want to spend a couple of months shaving with the ones I've got now. Shaved with a Gillette Tech the past couple of days (it's okay). That makes 10 that I've actually used.

I added up the amount I've spent on razors, and they've cost me an average of just about $19 each, including shipping, from $45.44 for a new Merkur 12C to $7.74 for a used GEM Micromatic. I also have quite a large stockpile of blades. It's lucky that the really expensive soaps, pre and post shave treatments, and brushes haven't caught my imagination.

[Edit] For a guy who just wants to shave with these things, not display them, the dumbest thing is not the total number of razors, but the duplications. For example, 1948-50 SS, okay, but do I really need the B1, L2, and V2 in addition? One of the little Gillette travel techs sure, but two? Still, I kind of like having them.

Last edited:
T Rick, that's a really bad case of RAD you're having there... I hope mine will take longer to develop into something bad like this !!!

Welcome to the RAD race Gentlemen! Just to let you know what you're up against, I took delivery of my first DE on Sept. 1st. This pic was taken the first week of October... and this isn't even close to what a current pic would look like :scared:. I like to think I'll eventually get caught up and have shaved with each one I've bought. But 7 were delivered a few days ago. And earlier today, I won a bid on a lot of 8 I expected to be outbid on, then tonight I've come home to find I'd won another bid for one... :crying:

proxy.php

What, no Red Tip? And you call yourself a collector.

However...:drool:.

What, no Red Tip? And you call yourself a collector.

However...:drool:.

proxy.php

The Red Tip had eluded me, I'd bid on singles or lots with them maybe 15 times, always to be out bid. Until Oct. 29th. This one arrived a bit over a week ago (actually, I hit the doors with some MAAS after this shot, it shined up to look even better), and I now have two more coming... but again, just the tip of the ice berg. The collection has more than doubled since that pic, and there are now far more cased examples, rare and very old (and in some cases expensive) razors. I'll try for another group shot around the beginning of December (hopefully my RAD will be in full deceleration mode by then! :biggrin:).

Got an increased RAD fever this morning too so guess what, I just bought my first slant :drool:

There was one Merkur 39C Sledgehammer only used 5 times that was available for 35$ shipped in the BST forum. I had nothing to lose and besides, it was part of my plan to try a slant after having tried an adjustable such as my Fat Boy.

So I snapped it too.

It's about time the weekend ends so I can go back to the office and spend less time on the BST forum...I need to work now to pay all these razors :biggrin:

I also bought some Barbicide from a web vendor to sanitize all them.

proxy.php

Holy $@%! :ohmy:

Just since September?????

Holy $@%! :ohmy:

Just since September?????

No, just in September :scared:. Since then, it's more than doubled, some of the highlights include 6 more Single Rings, 5 more Big Fellows, at least 4 more Super Speeds, 3 Double Rings, 2 NEW DeLuxes, and... wait for it.... a Partridge in a Pear tree. :biggrin:

proxy.php
Wow.

proxy.php

The Red Tip had eluded me, I'd bid on singles or lots with them maybe 15 times, always to be out bid. Until Oct. 29th. This one arrived a bit over a week ago (actually, I hit the doors with some MAAS after this shot, it shined up to look even better), and I now have two more coming... but again, just the tip of the ice berg. The collection has more than doubled since that pic, and there are now far more cased examples, rare and very old (and in some cases expensive) razors. I'll try for another group shot around the beginning of December (hopefully my RAD will be in full deceleration mode by then! :biggrin:).

She is a thing of beauty.

I current have SRAD and just got over BAD. The good news is that I'm very happy with my current brush setup. Hopefully the case will be the same after I receive the str8s I have in transit.

Top Bottom