What's new

SR Journal

I'm now 5 shaves in with the straight and shaves 4 and 5 were a nightmare. I just can't seem to get the blade to hold an edge due to poor stropping on my part. I've watched as many videos as possible and am doing exactly what I see in the videos, but when I put the straight to my face, it's not cutting anything at all. I am wondering if I would do better with a paddle strop (my strop right now is hanging from the bathroom door and I stretch it out while stropping). I have another strop on order as well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Maybe you should get some 1u diamond paste and a paddle or bench strop. If you are careful to not round the edge at all, a pasted paddle can be used to restore a slightly rounded edge. The 1u (one micron) diamond is roughly equivelant to a finishing stone. 3u is roughly equivelant to an 8k, for a little perspective. Remember that the diamond is actually cutting, so you MUST use light pressure and never drag the edge over the edge of the strop. I prefer a wide strop and only a slight drawing sideways of the blade as it travels down the strop rather than full x strokes, if the blade doesn't have a smile in it. IOW, if the edge is nice and straight. If you strop badly on diamond, you are of course compounding the damage.

After stropping with 1u diamond, it is a good idea to hit another paddle pasted with CrOx which will further dial in the edge. Wipe the blade before changing pasted strops so you don't cross contaminate the abrasive. Once you paste a strop, stick with the same paste on that strop. And after pasted stropping, before shaving you must wipe the blade and strop on unpasted leather.

There are other ways to degrade your edge besides poor stropping technique. You shaving technique could be at fault, especially if you have a very coarse and wiry beard and your shave angle is too high. Aggressive and careless wiping of the blade can degrade your edge. It could have been honed to a fin edge. Even the best honer has an off day once in a while.

We live and learn. We make mistakes, and we try to identify them and learn how to not make them. Your present difficulties are pretty normal so don't be discouraged. You will get past them.

If the pasted strops don't work for you, have it re-honed and start fresh. I bet you will find your edges last a lot longer the second time around. Review your stropping technique because it is usually the culprit with edges that mysteriously degrade early in the cycle.

I have now purchased a Feather Artist Club with several blades as well as a Parker Shavette to try again and I just got the Boker off the Bay. I've got the bug

I bought a DublDuck from HDStreetGlide on the BST and had my first shave with it tonight. Wow, what a difference. Everywhere except my chin an mustache I had a DFS on the first pass. No idea why either. I need to work on my technique and watch some videos on shaving the chin and above the lips.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The Straight shaving ADs are terrible aren't they :). Took me a year to finally calm down some :lol:.
Grats on the great progress so far.

The Straight shaving ADs are terrible aren't they :). Took me a year to finally calm down some :lol:.
Grats on the great progress so far.

All of the AD's are terrible, but this one I have a feeling will get more expensive than DE's. I cannot wait to get my Feather AC and my Parker in the mail simply due to knowing how to hold the razor now. I'd imagine the Parker will not even be comparable to the Feather in terms of quality, but I'm still looking forward to trying both again. When I used a Shavette before, I had no idea how to hold the razor or anything.

All of the AD's are terrible, but this one I have a feeling will get more expensive than DE's. I cannot wait to get my Feather AC and my Parker in the mail simply due to knowing how to hold the razor now. I'd imagine the Parker will not even be comparable to the Feather in terms of quality, but I'm still looking forward to trying both again. When I used a Shavette before, I had no idea how to hold the razor or anything.

the feather AC SS for me is super smooth and no doubt the straight razor realm AD is ridiculous.

Shave #6 with a straight and this one was a milestone. DFS all over and BBS in places. I used the Alum after and no stinging or burning so I finally figured out the pressure thing. If I can just get the darn stropping down I think I might sell off all my DE's and stick with this for good. I'm still not good at it and my "Poor mans strop kit" is looking all the more poor all the time thanks to the nicks. I bought one from starshaving but want to wait to use it till I can keep from nicking my strop.

Shave #7 went well but I'm still not able to get a good angle and therefore cut hair around my mouth and chin. Everywhere else I'm going ATG, WTG and XTG and getting a great shave. I just need to watch more videos. I do love the shaving part. The stropping, not so much. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the Feather Artist Club and the Parker Shavette in the mail. If anyone has a 3 inch strop (condition doesn't matter) or knows where I can get one for fairly cheap, I'd love to buy one just to see if that would help.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Shave #7 went well but I'm still not able to get a good angle and therefore cut hair around my mouth and chin. Everywhere else I'm going ATG, WTG and XTG and getting a great shave. I just need to watch more videos. I do love the shaving part. The stropping, not so much. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the Feather Artist Club and the Parker Shavette in the mail. If anyone has a 3 inch strop (condition doesn't matter) or knows where I can get one for fairly cheap, I'd love to buy one just to see if that would help.

For a cheap 3" strop, the Big Daddy from www.starshaving.com is probably the best game in town. I really like mine. Thinking about getting another one for CrOx. Uh... I don't know about the felt side, though. I don't use it. But the leather is a BIG piece of hide. Draw isn't bad. No blemishes or major wrinkles or creases in mine. it was $33 and yes, it is reversible. Not sure how much better you will like a wide strop, but I sure like one. If you get a new one, I suggest you not use it until you know you aren't going to hack it up with the razor.

Sounds like you are really getting a handle on the shaving. Congratulations and welcome to the dark side!

As soon as I can add some funds to the old paypal account, I'll be ordering one from star shaving. I do feel much better about straights now. I'm also getting curious about bigger razors. I like the looks of the Wade and Butchers, so I've bid on a couple on EBay. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a bigger razor?

Got the Parker shavette in the mail tonight. I'll give it a run tomorrow. I forgot how much fun and dangerous it is to load a blade. I need to give my face a day to recuperate. A huge thanks to Paco as well for honing up the boker and the shumate. He thinks the red imp will need a repair. Oh well, at least I did good on the boker

I learned using a straight by buying a shavette. It's a great tool. It's alot easier to cut yourself with, and you will learn your technique alot quicker IMO using the shavette first than vice versa. Also, the blade can be removed, giving you a chance at getting used to using both hands on your passes. As an extra bonus, using a shavette is a big time saver. You still get the feeling of using a straight without having to strop. This is a big bonus when your straight isn't good enough to shave with but you are already lathered up and ready to go.

Shave #7.5 took place this morning with the Parker Shavette. I didn't care for it at all and cut myself a couple of times so I tossed the blade and put it back in the box. Look for it on the BST soonish complete with 124 unused Shark Blades. Shave #8 took place tonight with a Boker Unrivaled that Natchez sent me to try. It was BBS on the cheeks and went fantastic. I still cannot shave my chin and my mouth area worth a darn. I've watched video after video but cannot get that area down and still have a stubble filled face. Hopefully, I get the Feather AC in the mail soon and I can give it a shot.

Top Bottom