What's new

Spirit of the Month!! - July 2010 - Don Julio Tequila (Reposado)

Welcome to the B&B Speakeasy Spirit of the Month!

full

Our selection for July 2010 is Don Julio Tequila

Since the SOTM has been relatively heavy on the whisky (rightly so), we have decided to throw in a Tequila. I chose the Reposado as most people here like to sip spirits neat. This one will stand up to that a lot better than the Blanco. It will also go really well in a simple Margarita.

A little history about the distillery (from Wikipedia)
Don Julio Tequila is named after its founder, Don Julio González-Frausto Estrada, who began distilling tequila in 1942 at age 17.[2] Acknowledging the benefits of vertical integration, Gonzalez-Frausto established his own distillery, La Primavera, and spent the next 40 years improving his craft. In 1985 Don Julio González-Frausto celebrated his 60th Birthday, his sons commemorated the date by creating a Tequila in his name, Don Julio. Guests ask if it will be available for sale. Following the sheer popularity of the tequila in Guadalajara and neighboring cities they decide to launch the tequila. It launched in 1987 and set the standard for all Tequilas in this category style. It is considered to be the worlds first Luxury Tequila. Prior to this, tequila had been considered a "farmers" drink. Nobody would pay more than $30 for a bottle of well made tequila.
In 1999 the now defunct, The Seagram Company Ltd., had invested in Tequila Don Julio, S.A. de C.V. of Mexico. The expanded agave plantations were a joint venture between the Gonzalez-Frausto, Funtanet, Rivera Torres, and Cuaik famliles. In 1999 Don Julio Gonzalez, delighted to forge a relationship with Seagram, stated, "I am proud that the Gonzalez-Frausto family joins with the Seagram family in a global effort behind Don Julio Tequila. I am committed to overseeing personally the agave plantations that are so vital to the superior and unique quality of the Tequila that bears my name." Following the liquidation of The Seagram Company, Diageo PLC decided to acquire all the Don Julio brand in 2001 for 14,100 million Mexican Pesos or $1.07 million US dollars at time of sale and an undisclosed share swap to the Gonzalez-Frausto family for Diageo stock.

Don Julio produces varieties:
The Blanco and Reposado are on the lower end of the price range (although not low in quality). The Anejo is a little more expensive

The 1942 and Real are crazy expensive...

Some Drinks:
When most people think tequila, they think Margarita. For the Reposado, Don Julio suggests a simple cocktail consisting of the tequila, lime juice some agave syrup for sweetening. Shake with ice, up, or serve on the rocks. Cointreau is also popular, however in a thread a while back, there was a lot of discussion on alternatives since it can get pretty expensive.

The Don Julio website also suggests a simple cocktail with the Reposado consisting of tequila, grapefruit juice and a splash of seltzer water. I've never tried this, but it sounds pleasantly refreshing on a hot summer day.

Hope you gents enjoy! Lets get some lively discussion on this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one nice Tequila.

I like mine with a little bit of lemon or lime juice (squeeze one or two wedges) and on the rocks. :001_smile

I'm heading to Mexico in several days. I'm looking forward to some Don Julio as well as several other tequilas. I'll have to bring a bottle home. I'll be in the Riviera Maya area. Anyone have a recommendation on where to pick it up? Is it cheaper in the airport duty free shop or in town?

I'll have to see if this is available in my state. That cocktail is sounding pretty good about now. Grapefruit juice, especialy fresh, is one of my favorite mixers. :drool:

I'm heading to Mexico in several days. I'm looking forward to some Don Julio as well as several other tequilas. I'll have to bring a bottle home. I'll be in the Riviera Maya area. Anyone have a recommendation on where to pick it up? Is it cheaper in the airport duty free shop or in town?

Duty free in Mexico is terribly expensive... go to a local supermarket, odds are that the retail price will be lower than anything at the airport

I like going to Mexico and bringing back tequilas you can't purchase here. DOn Julio is widely available in the states, pricey, but very good. The Reposado is well made.

Hmm... I'm familiar with Patrón, as far as higher priced tequilas go, as well as Cabo Wabo. I have yet to try this variety. Perhaps a test is in order in the near future? :wink:

July is over now, but I finally got around to trying the Reposado mixed with grapefruit juice, a splash of carbonated water and a lime wedge. Very refreshing!

Top Bottom