What's new

Speed ovens... anyone have one?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Never heard of one until now. Did a Google search and I think I will give it a miss. Between a gas stove, a microwave oven, a spare small electric oven and several BBQ’s I think I have cooking/roasting covered.

How about a link to what this is??

The below is for a commercial speed oven but explains it well. The combination of microwave, convection, IR, and broiler. Can use each function separately or together. We are redoing our kitchen and a double wall (1 convection and 1 speed) oven can take place of a conventional oven, microwave, and a toaster oven so it'll save cost but more importantly space.

Get a good, flexible oven. Convection + microwave sounds like a nice unit.

I've always stuck with radiant +convection in a small and large size. My preference is gas but I have electric in Florida.

20200221_150544.jpg

We're looking at the Thermador Professional Series double wall oven (convection oven on the bottom, speed oven on top). Why do you prefer gas for oven? Heat control and regulation is so much better with electric. No?

Get a good, flexible oven. Convection + microwave sounds like a nice unit.

I've always stuck with radiant +convection in a small and large size. My preference is gas but I have electric in Florida.

View attachment 1181924

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I’ve been wanting to learn more about speed ovens as well. The price of the Thermador and the Wolf speed ovens are at least in the same ballpark. But there is a world of difference when it comes to induction cooktops.

I started down the Wolf path because it’s in my home state of Wisconsin and my supplier carries their products. Also, because I wanted a built in microwave oven with a drop down door to put above the convection oven. Well, good luck with that. It’s nearly impossible to find a microwave oven with a drop down door that isn’t almost as expensive as a speed oven.

One thing lead to another and before I knew it I was buying a Wolf induction cooktop, a Wolf speed oven, and a Wolf convection oven. I also needed a refrigerator, dishwasher, and washer&dryer. So my budget got pretty tight, but I managed it all with setup and delivery for around $15,000.

When I redid my kitchen I put an Advantium oven in, instead of a microwave, and it’s largely just used as a microwave. For baking small items - I find a good air fryer (Instant Vortex Pro is the best in my experience) gets hotter, faster - cooks faster and is easier to clean. The vortex is also a food dehydrator, roaster (complete with a spinning rotisserie for chickens, etc), toaster and air fryer - which makes exceptional “air fries” in its rotating basket. For bigger jobs, it usually requires firing up the big full size Wolf gas oven - so the Advantium is basically a really big, expensive microwave. From time to time we’ll use it as an oven, but it’s pretty rare. Another annoyance is the pizza sized inserts (glass for microwave, nonstick steel for oven, trays, etc) you have to store and fiddle with to switch between microwave and oven.

My .02 - get an an Instant Vortex Pro air fryer extraordinaire, a cheap microwave and a decent oven and you’re set! The “Speed ovens” generally make the most sense for folks who have space constraints.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
When I redid my kitchen I put an Advantium oven in, instead of a microwave, and it’s largely just used as a microwave. For baking small items - I find a good air fryer (Instant Vortex Pro is the best in my experience) gets hotter, faster - cooks faster and is easier to clean. The vortex is also a food dehydrator, roaster (complete with a spinning rotisserie for chickens, etc), toaster and air fryer - which makes exceptional “air fries” in its rotating basket. For bigger jobs, it usually requires firing up the big full size Wolf gas oven - so the Advantium is basically a really big, expensive microwave. From time to time we’ll use it as an oven, but it’s pretty rare. Another annoyance is the pizza sized inserts (glass for microwave, nonstick steel for oven, trays, etc) you have to store and fiddle with to switch between microwave and oven.

My .02 - get an an Instant Vortex Pro air fryer extraordinaire, a cheap microwave and a decent oven and you’re set! The “Speed ovens” generally make the most sense for folks who have space constraints.
Well, I definitely have space constraints. And yes, all the extra racks take up valuable cupboard space. I think I’m going to put a pot hanger on the wall, over the cooktop to free up some space.

Top Bottom