What's new

Specifically why should you not put ceramic non-stick pans in the dishwasher?

About a year or so ago after swearing off non-stick cookware because of past experiences with Teflon I decided to give ceramic coated pans a try. I got a couple of Greenpan skillets at BB&B since they came as a set. Admittedly their non-stickness works well and they're easy to clean.

The packaging stated to hand-wash only, not to put them in the dishwasher. I'm curious why this is given that they also claim you can use metal utensils on them - which I never do - I treat them like Teflon - wood or silicone utensils only.

Anyone know specifically why they shouldn't be put in the dishwasher?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Since carbon steel can be made virtually nonstick, just needs to be wiped clean, will far outlive a nonstick pan, can be used safely with very high heat, and doesn't put harmful things into you or the environment, there is an easy way to avoid this quandary!

I tried/have a ceramic mine did hold up mine has spot marks where it has come off (not using steel utensils) I fell for the marketing hype :) and its NOT non stick as much as teflon and lost most its initial quickly :(

I think they can be handy for certain delicate foods but going to back to teflon for that when needed again only super low heat etc.. and only when I can't do it in other steel pans :)

carbon steel works
think of them as a DE or straight compared to some 5 blade miracle lube strip vibrating handle thing :) once you master them nothing comes close !!! and so many more options :)

in that carbon steel thread I posted this pic of this mornings omelet in a DeBuyer carbon

clean up for today 2 paper towels as I like to buff out with the last one so its dry to touch but not needed
no soap no excess water etc. . have only had stuff stick enough I need to scrape a few times a year superior in the browning and oven ability etc..

love my omelets like this touch of brown and the inside was still shiny delicate as the browning on carbon is so easy co controlled you can't get this in a ceramic or teflon without overcooking the eggs :)

and finishing a sous vide steak is WOW good crust in carbon pans as option to fire :)

1640027002290.png

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm honestly not trying to be smug about it, but I feel the same way about the tonne of cast iron that is helping to keep the house from being blown away by a tornado.

I remember my mother started in with aluminum/teflon pans back in the late '60s. A very modern woman, she remembered kerosene lamps and outhouses and blessed Pacific Power and their heirs and assigns every day. Oddly, though, she never gave up her old Monkey Wards "Maid of Honor" covered deep cast iron skillet, in which she only ever did fried chicken in lard. My brother always said he wanted it, apparently in the belief that it would turn out his favourite fried chicken on command. I made sure he got the pan, but informed him that learning to cook was up to him.

Now, I'd read a story about a magic skillet that made crispy fried chicken! Mrs. Hippie and I both love fried chicken -- her genes are from Arkansas while mine are from North Dakota and that means different styles for sure but we're both multicultural and open-minded. Whoever cooks on any given night can do it how they like and it's fine.

That's a lovely looking omelet, BTW.

O.H.

reckon cast iron or carbon steel is like razors one is not better its what one likes better often for what they are going after or doing :)

about your pan and brother story :) I am a full time pro photographer when I hear someone say you must have a nice camera I say AHHHH I bet Hemingway had a great typewriter :) with a voice they know is being funny :)

I tried/have a ceramic mine did hold up mine has spot marks where it has come off (not using steel utensils) I fell for the marketing hype :) and its NOT non stick as much as teflon and lost most its initial quickly :(

I think they can be handy for certain delicate foods but going to back to teflon for that when needed again only super low heat etc.. and only when I can't do it in other steel pans :)
I imagine with ceramic they're probably not all created equal, also keep the heat relatively low is key - nothing higher than "Medium" on my electric stove. There's nothing I make that requires anything hotter than that. When I do steak it's at "low". Mine get a fair amount of use, they're still plenty nonstick and so far have experienced no surface degradation that I can see. My experience with Teflon was that they didn't hold up no matter what.

agree on quality :)

this is a good vid they usually do good reviews :) and are quite thorough :)

on the traditional non stick stuff agree
they do not last more than a year or so depending on how much you use them ?
for sure a replaceable buy cheap enough to replace and when used for delicates only :)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have a Swiss Diamond pan that is good for a non stick pan, much more resilient than others. The last years, but you pay for them. Hell the part you heat is at least 1/2 inch thick so heat retention is wonderful.

That said, I'm perfectly fine with aluminum or stainless. Let the crap stick and I'll use hardcore steel scrubbers that cut the junk right off.

I either need a pan nothing can stick to, or one I can nuke with abandon.

Since carbon steel can be made virtually nonstick, just needs to be wiped clean, will far outlive a nonstick pan, can be used safely with very high heat, and doesn't put harmful things into you or the environment, there is an easy way to avoid this quandary!

It still requires you to smoke/burn the oil to cure the pan, which, depending on your living circumstances (whether or not you have a vent hood that goes outdoors, for instance), can be a source of high levels of indoor air pollution (hundreds of miligrams per cubic meter, far worse than exhaust from a busy intersection).

My guess is that the manufacturer recommends against putting the pan in the dishwasher because they are concerned about the potential for the pan to bang around and the surface to be damaged.

Ceramic coatings work fairly well and they are durable enough as long as you stick to using plastic or silicone utensils around them.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
It still requires you to smoke/burn the oil to cure the pan, which, depending on your living circumstances (whether or not you have a vent hood that goes outdoors, for instance), can be a source of high levels of indoor air pollution (hundreds of miligrams per cubic meter, far worse than exhaust from a busy intersection).

My guess is that the manufacturer recommends against putting the pan in the dishwasher because they are concerned about the potential for the pan to bang around and the surface to be damaged.

Ceramic coatings work fairly well and they are durable enough as long as you stick to using plastic or silicone utensils around them.
I know there are a zillion threads out there talking about taking it to the smoke point, etc. That may well work, but I have not found it necessary. I have just cooked in the pans, and they have quickly become seasoned without ever taking things to the smoking point.

I know there are a zillion threads out there talking about taking it to the smoke point, etc. That may well work, but I have not found it necessary. I have just cooked in the pans, and they have quickly become seasoned without ever taking things to the smoking point.

I'll keep that in mind and research it more.

I use an air fryer alot in my apartment. It will crisp food without really adding significant indoor air pollution (you can buy inexpensive Chinese air quality monitors now thanks to things like eBay or Alibaba). I cooked with a carbon steel Peking pan/wok years ago and it worked OK, but that was before I developed asthma.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I'll keep that in mind and research it more.

I use an air fryer alot in my apartment. It will crisp food without really adding significant indoor air pollution (you can buy inexpensive Chinese air quality monitors now thanks to things like eBay or Alibaba). I cooked with a carbon steel Peking pan/wok years ago and it worked OK, but that was before I developed asthma.
Sorryto hear of the asthma. I have been intrigued by the air fryer. Perhaps nt as good but still not bad, I make fries by tossing the potatoes in a small amount of oil on a jelly roll pan and using the oven on convection at 380F. The results are quite good. I turn them half way through, probably around ten or fifteen minutes, and start a steak, usually skirt, in a carbon steel skillet for great strak frites. Red wine reduction with salt and pepper (shallots optional) for the rare steak and home made mayonnaise for the frites.

If the pan contains aluminum, the bleach in dishwasher detergents will discolor it permanently.

However, it is not good for the ceramic coating either. We had a pan that got left on the stove until the contents charred. We tried everything to remove the char since it was baked on. Finally, I filled the pan with water and dropped in a dishwasher pod. The pan eventually came clean, but it is no longer non-stick. Of course, I cannot tell you whether it was the overheating or the detergent/bleach that affected it. We still use the pan as it is a favorite size, but it is more difficult to clean.

Thus, do not make the same mistake I did with mine.

Sorryto hear of the asthma. I have been intrigued by the air fryer. Perhaps nt as good but still not bad, I make fries by tossing the potatoes in a small amount of oil on a jelly roll pan and using the oven on convection at 380F. The results are quite good. I turn them half way through, probably around ten or fifteen minutes, and start a steak, usually skirt, in a carbon steel skillet for great strak frites. Red wine reduction with salt and pepper (shallots optional) for the rare steak and home made mayonnaise for the frites.

If it's a convection oven with a big fan, the results are the same as an air fryer, more or less.

I used to cook fries in my air fryer alot, but I've discovered it's also a good substitute for alot of different types of cooking at higher temperatures.

Top Bottom