What's new

Speak to me of 2-band Thaters

I've been pondering a Thater 2-band lately. I prefer fans, and I have read mixed reviews on the firmness of Thater 2-band knots, particularly in the fan shape. I know fans splay a bit more than bulbs, generally, but I'd like to hear more impressions of the firmness of the 2-banders relative to other well-known brushes.

For reference, I like my SR 3122 and my Kent BK4, but the latter is just too soft (I dislike the perjorative term floppy) for me to use daily. If the 3122 had a fan shape, I would sell all of my other brushes, buy 3 backups, and use it every day; aesthetically, I just love the look of fan-shaped knots. I really love my Rooney 1/2 and my Shavemac Finest fan, and either of these might wind up being the one, also. But I have an eye on a size 0 2-band fan. Maybe.

Other brushes I have loved: Omega 10066, Semogue 1250, Semogue 2000, Omega 10049, Simpson Duke 3 Best

I ultimately decided I wanted a bit more flow-through than the Simpson, and while I still love and use boars, there is something about a badger knot that edges out boar in luxury feel (though I usually wind up feeling as though boar outperforms badger for long stretches at a time). So I'm bouncing around in the world of Rooneys and M&Fs and Shavemacs and having a great time, but Thater 2-banders just catch my eye and set me wondering...

Thoughts?

My Thater 2-band has excellent back-bone. I was a bit unsatisfied with it for a few weeks and kept going back to my other brushed for lathering, but it's broken in a bit and feels wonderful on the face. Going from all fan shaped lofts to the bulb was the most off-putting, and now you'd have to get my Thater from my widow off E-bay when the time comes.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... the three band is highly recommended.

I can guess the 2-band is constructed with the same fantastic quality. I've never had the pleasure, I suppose.

I have a Thater 3 band in 0 and a 2 band in 2. Beautiful brushes, but I prefer my 3 Rooney silvertips and 2 Simpsons best.

Brian, is your 2-band a fan or bulb? Would you mind expanding on what you prefer about your Rooneys and Simpsons?

I have the 4125/0 and I love it, the 2 band of Thater is firm, but soft tipped. i would like to add a 4125/1 in fan 2band, I am thinking it would win out over the smaller brush as i am starting to like just a little more knot . I do not go for the big knots. The draw back to the Thater is the short handles of the 4125, I only like that handle however, i did not warm up to the style of the 4292 when i had the Savile Row in that style.

All in all my next Thater will be a 4125/1. Thater is luxury for sure, if I want a scrub, I get the Emperor in 2 band out, that thing fells alive on my face.

Brian, is your 2-band a fan or bulb? Would you mind expanding on what you prefer about your Rooneys and Simpsons?

Both of my Thaters are bulbs. I guess I just don't like soft brushes. I should have learned from the SR3722 I sold a couple of years ago for the same reason. The Thaters remind me of that one. While I don't like scritch, I still like to feel a brush on my face. The 4125/2 2 band just doesn't have enough backbone or density for me. In addition, I can't get more than 2 passes without reloading soap, yet I don't have a problem getting 4 passes from a Rooney or Simpson. If I was a 2 pass shaver, it would be fine. Unfortunately I'm not and it annoys me to run out of lather and have to do a major reload. I do have well water and maybe that plays some part with the Thaters.

My favorite brush these days is my T&H (Rooney) 1/2. I also have a Rooney 3/1, 1/1 and Simpson Rover and Duke 1 (I've had 8 Simpsons). I would take any of them over the Thaters, but it's strictly a case of YMMV.

I have a 4125/2 in fan. There is not much backbone to be honest. Now having said that I gotta say that I love this brush. It lathers beautifully and the flow thru is the best of any brush I own. The tips have the "gel" like feeling and dry crusty in little bundles.

If your looking for a scrubby brush look elsewhere but if your looking for a little luxury get one. Have not tried one in bulb. I am not a fan of bulb knots.

Both of my Thaters are bulbs. I guess I just don't like soft brushes. I should have learned from the SR3722 I sold a couple of years ago for the same reason. The Thaters remind me of that one. While I don't like scritch, I still like to feel a brush on my face. The 4125/2 2 band just doesn't have enough backbone or density for me. In addition, I can't get more than 2 passes without reloading soap, yet I don't have a problem getting 4 passes from a Rooney or Simpson. If I was a 2 pass shaver, it would be fine. Unfortunately I'm not and it annoys me to run out of lather and have to do a major reload. I do have well water and maybe that plays some part with the Thaters.

My favorite brush these days is my T&H (Rooney) 1/2. I also have a Rooney 3/1, 1/1 and Simpson Rover and Duke 1 (I've had 8 Simpsons). I would take any of them over the Thaters, but it's strictly a case of YMMV.

I have a 4125/2 in fan. There is not much backbone to be honest. Now having said that I gotta say that I love this brush. It lathers beautifully and the flow thru is the best of any brush I own. The tips have the "gel" like feeling and dry crusty in little bundles.

If your looking for a scrubby brush look elsewhere but if your looking for a little luxury get one. Have not tried one in bulb. I am not a fan of bulb knots.

Both of these posts interest me. See, I love my SR 3122 but want that feel in a fan-shaped knot as I dislike bulbs. I don't mind luxury a bit, either. Gel tips that dry crusty...ideal. Some backbone is preferable, though, so just tell me it has more spine and density than a BK4 and we're in business.

This is an old pic of my 4125/0 that I eventually sold because it was too small for me. A lovely brush but the tips were too gel for my tastes. I prefer some sort of a scrub instead of a jello feeling.

proxy.php

Both of these posts interest me. See, I love my SR 3122 but want that feel in a fan-shaped knot as I dislike bulbs. I don't mind luxury a bit, either. Gel tips that dry crusty...ideal. Some backbone is preferable, though, so just tell me it has more spine and density than a BK4 and we're in business.

Never used a Kent brush so I can't make any comparisons. I just used my Thater with some Mikes Bay Rum and it performed beautifully.

I prefer Thater brushes in a bulb shape. I find the fans splay a bit too much. Largely because of the more radically shaped bulb on the 3-band, it actually displays more backbone than the 2-band versions. In my experience the 3-bands are more densely packed as well. The hair in either is uber-soft. It is also worth noting that when ordering be aware that the knot diameter when measured at the top of the handle will be larger than specified. I think the 49125-2 (last on the left in the bottom picture) is a fantastic face-lathering brush that works well with any kind of product.

$IMG_2467.jpg$IMG_2465.jpg

Top Bottom