What's new

Sour C&E experience...

V

VR6ofpain

So I went out to the Crabtree and Evelyn location in the Arden Fair Mall today. I had planned on picking up the Best Badger brush they carry for $35 and a tube key. Well I get there, check out the small area of men's products (the fiancee and I both smelling some of the soaps...the Sienna smelled the best IMO) then proceed to the salesperson indicating what I want to get. Another one takes the brush and goes to the back to pick out a new one in box. After waiting 5 minutes she comes back saying they don't have that one in back. I ask if they get in new shipments and she says not with the men's shaving products. I consider picking up the "display model", but there is no discount and it has a lot of fingerprints and wear on it.

I left with just the tube key and a bad taste in my mouth. Don't think I'll ever shop there again. The worst part is she put that brush back on the display, even though THEY DON'T HAVE IT, and she doesn't see them getting anymore in the future. Fricken ridiculous. I was considering stepping up to the Super Badger brush ($50 more), but I am holding out for the B&B 2007 brush.

V

VR6ofpain

I did also go to a cutlery shop and got to look at some Vulfix brushes and a Slant. Just as others on here had said, the Vulfix brushes were extremely floppy (even just feeling them dry). Also that Merkur slant definitely felt heavy and tough...but the finish was horrid. There were plating lines all over the thing. Looked like some cheap Made in China product compared to my vintage Gillettes. Oh well...it was $54.99 anyway, so way too marked up to even consider purchasing!

I would have expected them to offer to order it or try to get it from another store. I got my Best Badger from a local shop that isn't specifically a C&E but carries their lines along with others. The shopowner went out of her way to get me the brush, even after multiple screw-ups by C&E caused them to send the wrong brush at first (they sent the $35 Pure Badger despite having taken down the correct item number). One would think that C&E themselves could have done as much.

V

VR6ofpain

One would think that C&E themselves could have done as much.
One would think... One would also think the salespeople were intelligent. I am now starting to think they may have had one in the "cupboard" under the display. The girl only looked in the back of the shop. Sad too, because you would think they would want to make a sale, not throw it away.

When I went to the local C&E here in Cleveland, they were nice enough but kind of went the same way as your visit. I found the display brush, showed it to her, she checks around, says she doesn't have any new, but that she would sell me the display model. Then she finds like 3 brand new in the box after messing around a bit.

Seems they are hit and miss. If you were you, I'd just order it on line. They are nice brushes for the money.

Steve

One thing to keep in mind... C&E is primarily a store designed to/for women and their needs.

Now, this doesn't mean I too wouldn't be equally as put off - as there is no excuse for customer service that lackluster at best.

One thing to keep in mind... C&E is primarily a store designed to/for women and their needs.

Agreed last time I went there I ended up lecturing the sales lady what shaving soap is used for.

I think women today think that men should shave with a razor that squirts gel before the blade and leaves aftershave in its path. Oh and why do they always think you need to go ATG?

When I bought my C&E BBB a year ago, the two girls working weren't exactly rays of sunshine either, but to their credit they did offer me the Best Badger over the travel brush, which was the only $35 brush on display.

One more thing, for what it's worth.... they carry shaving sets and such there NOT for men to purchase, rather for women to purchase FOR their men. In fact, most shaving items over $50 are purchased by women for their men, and some wacky number like 80% of elecrtic razors are purchased by women as gifts to their men, etc etc.

Gabe,

I guess I got there first. I picked up C&E best badger brush at the Arden Fair store about 3 weeks ago and I think they said it was the last one. Almost walked out with a pure badger rather than a best badger as the sales lady pulled out the wrong one from stock.

Too bad these stores are not more knowledgeable and shaver friendly. I really like the brush.

bob

So I guess I shouldn't go there today to look for the one under the counter...

You never know. I bought a C&E Best for a gift and I had to do the digging in the drawer because the sales lady said they were out of stock. They weren't. C&E customer service in the stores isn't the best, but their products are nice. Also, keep in mind that the stores are relatively independent from each other and the corporate office. What you find in one store, service-wise, is not an indication of what you'll find everywhere.

The saleslady in my local store said, "You know, I found it fascinating when they told me that these brushes are actually made from badger hair."

I bought a $35 C&E travel brush about 10 months ago at a C&E store in downtown SF. Same experience. Nice saleswoman, but when I asked if they had any other than the floor model in stock, she just said "no." Didn't even look. I had to ask her to look, which was in a drawer out on the main floor. She looked and still said "no." I could see a box for one in the drawer, and had to point to it for her. So ... she was sweet, I found one, but I had to be assertive, and then had to stand smiling while she told me how one uses a shave brush. Dum dee dum.

It all probably comes down to the store and the particular salesperson. I live outside Seattle. The store closest to me has given me good service. I have been to other stores with no where near the service. Like the old adage says, Let the buyer beware.

I had something similar happen to me. It was over price. They had the 35 dollar brush marked for 65. I told the girl and made her ring it out anyway. It came up as 35. I got the last one they had for my dad. Christmas is coming up. Hes getting me a scuttle so I guess thats fair! :)

V

VR6ofpain

So I guess I shouldn't go there today to look for the one under the counter...
My fiancee called to double check today (figured a different saleswoman may be a better salesperson). She told my fiancee that "another gentleman came in looking for one yesterday, but the computer showed they were out of stock." I found that interesting, because she never looked at the stock in a computer when I was there...unless that is what she was doing when she said she "couldn't find one in back". Sad really.

Gabe,
I guess I got there first. I picked up C&E best badger brush at the Arden Fair store about 3 weeks ago and I think they said it was the last one. Almost walked out with a pure badger rather than a best badger as the sales lady pulled out the wrong one from stock.

Too bad these stores are not more knowledgeable and shaver friendly. I really like the brush.

bob
Damn they are pathetic. I'll just go to a different location. I am going to be in the North Bay next weekend. I'll drive out to Santa Rosa and pick one up if they have any in stock (gonna call first, since it is apparent these stores are hopeless). I still can't believe they keep a display item on the shelf that they don't even keep in stock.

Was served by a very sweet (and very cute) girl at the one I went to, but she "informed" me that "she doesn't think" C&E carries shaving brushes. She seemed basically clueless about most of the rest of the things I asked her about. They seem like good people, just not well trained.

Was served by a very sweet (and very cute) girl at the one I went to, but she "informed" me that "she doesn't think" C&E carries shaving brushes. She seemed basically clueless about most of the rest of the things I asked her about. They seem like good people, just not well trained.

Yeah, that was my experience are the Rock location in NYC. Very sweet girls, but only semi clued it. She was at least informed enough to have a preference among the colognes, though.

-Mo

Top Bottom