What's new

Some more Yaqi brushes reviewed (including Panda and Mink)...

This will be my last purchase/review as we are going to travel for 4 months to stay with relatives.
As always, my hope is that my reviews help others to decide on which Yaqi brush may be suitable for them.

Shedding:
Out of the several brushes in this order, only one brush shed a little, the butterscotch handle boss knot. It shed about 3 fibres per use for about 6 uses and then completely stopped. None of the other brushes shed even one fibre nor did the badger brushes shed any hair (except the initial couple which were short hairs so didn’t get caught by the glue at the base of the knot).

Softness:
So, synthetics are basically at a point where we can’t really say one is soft and another is not soft, or is prickly, or scritchy etc. They are all luxuriously soft!

I really can’t tell the difference in softness with the current generation of synthetic knots. By softness, I am referring to the tips, not the scrubby feel which can still be influenced by factors such as knot density, loft and glue bump (i.e. “free loft”).

Review of the Tuxedo knot brushes:
We are all probably aware of the characteristics of the tuxedo knot. These tuxedo brushes are no different. They retain that scrub and backbone that tuxedo knots are known to have.

The splay is mid-range relative to other synthetics. When I load the synthetic, the initial splay is difficult but loosens up as I add water to the brush and work it into a lather.

The Panda tuxedo is similar in feel to the blue/white tuxedo with a bit more backbone. The handle is really ergonomic and looks fantastic!!
The ruby red had the most backbone of these tuxedo brushes with the blue/white having the least relative to the other three.

proxy.php

Review of the Boss knot brushes:
As mentioned above, the butterscotch shed a little in the first few uses but hasn’t shed any since. The boss knot splays out really well. It has a natural splay that doesn’t require much effort to achieve. The butterscotch has the least amount of backbone and I must say, I really enjoy this one!

The 30mm Boss knot is a monster! Still splays out nicely but yeah, it’s huge! Holds a ton of lather and definitely has a hefty feel to it in the hand. It’s quite luxurious on the face! I could see this one coming out more often in winter months when used with a bowl/scuttle.

The 24mm Boss knot has the most backbone of these three. Nice and scrubby and generates lather in no time!

proxy.php

Review of the Plissoft and Cola brushes:

OK, so I am leaning more and more towards regarding the Yaqi Plissoft as my favourite knot type. It seems the most versatile in terms of backbone, splay and face feel. The handle is beautiful and comfortable. It reminds me a lot of the RR Bruce Plissoft but the Yaqi has more density and a much smaller glue bump than the RR.

The Cola brush is just awesome! Look at that handle, it’s gorgeous!!
The knot itself is unique for Yaqi as I haven’t seen it in any of their other brushes but it’s really dense and feels good on the face! The knot size of 22mm is small for my preference. I really don’t like smaller than 24mm for synthetic brushes.

If this had a 24mm knot, it would have been magical! But in any case, I use this for when I load samples into a small bowl to load from and load some more for the 2nd and 3rd passes. I just couldn’t pass up on it due to the beautiful handle!

proxy.php

Review of the Badger brushes:
I’ll group the blue/white and the Panda two band badger brushes as they felt exactly the same to me. The Panda handle is brilliant! One of my favourites since I’ve always liked the panda plus I liked the Kung-Fu Panda movie so I just had to grab both the Panda handle brushes!

Both the two bands are dense, more so than the older Yaqi two bands. The tips are also lighter in colour and are soft, ready to go after just two test lathers. The older two bands needed about 6 lathers to get them to the point they were broken in enough for use on the face.

The backbone is strong on both the brushes but being badger brushes, there’s no issue with this at all as they still splay out well. Synthetics having a low loft tends to fling lather all over the place.

The 24mm knots are big! I feel Yaqi are generous with their knot construction and I have a feeling that these would be closer to 26mm knots. If a knot ever falls out, I’ll be sure to measure the diameter at the base of the knot to confirm my feeling.

The pure badger is probably the nicest pure badger I’ve used…relative to other pure badgers of course! It has nice, tapered tips that are definitely not clipped.

Having said that, it was too much for my skin to handle. I’m quite bummed out about this because I really wanted to like it but by the second pass, it felt very scritchy and my skin didn’t appreciate that at all.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Review of the Mink knot brushes:
The mink knot is a new release from Yaqi. I haven’t used the original “motherlode” knot but the Mink knot looks just like it, but more in the shape of a shaving brush rather than the make-up brush look of the motherlode.

I left this for last because it really took me by surprise! The brush basically takes all the best points of the Tuxedo knot but gives it the ability to splay out easier. It’s really a remarkable knot because it requires much less effort to splay it out (like the cashmere for example) but retains the nice backbone of the Tuxedo.

It has a presence on the face like the Tuxedo knots do so yes, while I could have said it feels like a silksmoke or synbad etc, I find these to have less presence on the face in the sense that they feel feather soft. The Mink has a presence but good splay.

I liked the new Mink knot so much that I’ve packed the green handle one in my travel kit (along with a Yaqi two band) for an upcoming extended trip!

proxy.php

Great review! I realized that if you pick up any Yaqi synthetic, you'll probably be satisfied with it, haha. As for badgers, it's a similar case but there tends to be more differences between the brushes. They're still nice though.

The Pure badger brush was a surprise for me. I haven't heard of any decent pure badgers other than premium brands like Shavemac/Simpsons. That said, I find it hard that anyone shaves with Pure badgers... After trying one and one red face, I gave up real quick.

Hey @nav super review! So that aqua badger you show - is that a two-band or pure badger? I wasn't sure which one you were referring to when you said it was too scritchy. My 24mm two-band aqua is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Hey @nav super review! So that aqua badger you show - is that a two-band or pure badger? I wasn't sure which one you were referring to when you said it was too scritchy. My 24mm two-band aqua is supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Actually after reading it again I think that Sagragda-looking one is the pure badger? I'm waiting for my first badgers to arrive so still getting used to identifying the bristles.

Thanks for the reviews, @nav! As usual, very informative! I've been looking at the Mink (and/or Motherlode) brushes and was waiting to see more impressions of it. I think I'll pull the trigger on one.

Have a safe trip!

The Pure badger brush was a surprise for me. I haven't heard of any decent pure badgers other than premium brands like Shavemac/Simpsons. That said, I find it hard that anyone shaves with Pure badgers... After trying one and one red face, I gave up real quick.
The only pure badger brush that I liked was a Parker IHPB.

A few years ago, some folks on B&B (or was it another forum?) mentioned that the Parker pure badger knots felt more like a grade higher (i.e. best badger). I took a chance and they were right. Either that or I got very lucky and my IHPB is the exception, because it's not stiff and scratchy like most of us expect. I can only assume that mine has more of the softer, thinner, belly or back hair than a typical pure badger knot would have.

Thanks for the reviews, @nav! As usual, very informative! I've been looking at the Mink (and/or Motherlode) brushes and was waiting to see more impressions of it. I think I'll pull the trigger on one.

Have a safe trip!

A few years ago, some folks on B&B (or was it another forum?) mentioned that the Parker pure badger knots felt more like a grade higher (i.e. best badger). I took a chance and they were right. Either that or I got very lucky and my IHPB is the exception, because it's not stiff and scratchy like most of us expect. I can only assume that mine has more of the softer, thinner, belly or back hair than a typical pure badger knot would have.
Funny how that's the only pure badger brush that I tried and it felt very scratchy. As always YMMV.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for the look and write-up!

Wife thinks the Panda was adorable, asked if I bought it. No ...

Got the moka one coming, though!

AA

Funny how that's the only pure badger brush that I tried and it felt very scratchy. As always YMMV.
Yes, definitely. As mentioned, I think that I got very lucky. Some said they were scratchy and others said they were soft. Obviously, there is a lot of variability amongst the knots being manufactured/used by Parker.

I'm not sure that I'd be lucky the next time I bought a lower-grade badger brush. So, now, I'd personally stick to 2-band at a minimum.

Great review! I realized that if you pick up any Yaqi synthetic, you'll probably be satisfied with it, haha. As for badgers, it's a similar case but there tends to be more differences between the brushes. They're still nice though.

I think I'm done with pure badger now. I really like the idea of the huge presence pure badger has on the face but the scritch is too much for the skin.

This is why I love two bands. They give a good scrubby feel but with super soft tips.

Actually after reading it again I think that Sagragda-looking one is the pure badger? I'm waiting for my first badgers to arrive so still getting used to identifying the bristles.

You are correct, the blue/white is the two band badger. You're in for a treat! It's a beautiful brush with a fantastic knot.

Please let us know how you get on with it. The more reviews we all post, the more it helps others decide.

Have a safe trip!

Thank you for the wishes!

I'll look forward to your impressions on the mink knot. I'm really enjoying it and it stands above tuxedo for me.

Thanks for the look and write-up!

Wife thinks the Panda was adorable, asked if I bought it. No ...

Got the moka one coming, though!

AA

You should get the panda brush for your wife :)

The moka is gorgeous!! One of my all time favorite handles!!
The 26mm two band is big and luxurious but being a two band, keeps its form and presence on the face. Just wonderful!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This will be my last purchase/review as we are going to travel for 4 months to stay with relatives.
As always, my hope is that my reviews help others to decide on which Yaqi brush may be suitable for them.

Shedding:
Out of the several brushes in this order, only one brush shed a little, the butterscotch handle boss knot. It shed about 3 fibres per use for about 6 uses and then completely stopped. None of the other brushes shed even one fibre nor did the badger brushes shed any hair (except the initial couple which were short hairs so didn’t get caught by the glue at the base of the knot).

Softness:
So, synthetics are basically at a point where we can’t really say one is soft and another is not soft, or is prickly, or scritchy etc. They are all luxuriously soft!

I really can’t tell the difference in softness with the current generation of synthetic knots. By softness, I am referring to the tips, not the scrubby feel which can still be influenced by factors such as knot density, loft and glue bump (i.e. “free loft”).

Review of the Tuxedo knot brushes:
We are all probably aware of the characteristics of the tuxedo knot. These tuxedo brushes are no different. They retain that scrub and backbone that tuxedo knots are known to have.

The splay is mid-range relative to other synthetics. When I load the synthetic, the initial splay is difficult but loosens up as I add water to the brush and work it into a lather.

The Panda tuxedo is similar in feel to the blue/white tuxedo with a bit more backbone. The handle is really ergonomic and looks fantastic!!
The ruby red had the most backbone of these tuxedo brushes with the blue/white having the least relative to the other three.

proxy.php

Review of the Boss knot brushes:
As mentioned above, the butterscotch shed a little in the first few uses but hasn’t shed any since. The boss knot splays out really well. It has a natural splay that doesn’t require much effort to achieve. The butterscotch has the least amount of backbone and I must say, I really enjoy this one!

The 30mm Boss knot is a monster! Still splays out nicely but yeah, it’s huge! Holds a ton of lather and definitely has a hefty feel to it in the hand. It’s quite luxurious on the face! I could see this one coming out more often in winter months when used with a bowl/scuttle.

The 24mm Boss knot has the most backbone of these three. Nice and scrubby and generates lather in no time!

proxy.php

Review of the Plissoft and Cola brushes:

OK, so I am leaning more and more towards regarding the Yaqi Plissoft as my favourite knot type. It seems the most versatile in terms of backbone, splay and face feel. The handle is beautiful and comfortable. It reminds me a lot of the RR Bruce Plissoft but the Yaqi has more density and a much smaller glue bump than the RR.

The Cola brush is just awesome! Look at that handle, it’s gorgeous!!
The knot itself is unique for Yaqi as I haven’t seen it in any of their other brushes but it’s really dense and feels good on the face! The knot size of 22mm is small for my preference. I really don’t like smaller than 24mm for synthetic brushes.

If this had a 24mm knot, it would have been magical! But in any case, I use this for when I load samples into a small bowl to load from and load some more for the 2nd and 3rd passes. I just couldn’t pass up on it due to the beautiful handle!

proxy.php

Review of the Badger brushes:
I’ll group the blue/white and the Panda two band badger brushes as they felt exactly the same to me. The Panda handle is brilliant! One of my favourites since I’ve always liked the panda plus I liked the Kung-Fu Panda movie so I just had to grab both the Panda handle brushes!

Both the two bands are dense, more so than the older Yaqi two bands. The tips are also lighter in colour and are soft, ready to go after just two test lathers. The older two bands needed about 6 lathers to get them to the point they were broken in enough for use on the face.

The backbone is strong on both the brushes but being badger brushes, there’s no issue with this at all as they still splay out well. Synthetics having a low loft tends to fling lather all over the place.

The 24mm knots are big! I feel Yaqi are generous with their knot construction and I have a feeling that these would be closer to 26mm knots. If a knot ever falls out, I’ll be sure to measure the diameter at the base of the knot to confirm my feeling.

The pure badger is probably the nicest pure badger I’ve used…relative to other pure badgers of course! It has nice, tapered tips that are definitely not clipped.

Having said that, it was too much for my skin to handle. I’m quite bummed out about this because I really wanted to like it but by the second pass, it felt very scritchy and my skin didn’t appreciate that at all.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The mink knot is a new release from Yaqi. I haven’t used the original “motherlode” knot but the Mink knot looks just like it, but more in the shape of a shaving brush rather than the make-up brush look of the motherlode.

I left this for last because it really took me by surprise! The brush basically takes all the best points of the Tuxedo knot but gives it the ability to splay out easier. It’s really a remarkable knot because it requires much less effort to splay it out (like the cashmere for example) but retains the nice backbone of the Tuxedo.

It has a presence on the face like the Tuxedo knots do so yes, while I could have said it feels like a silksmoke or synbad etc, I find these to have less presence on the face in the sense that they feel feather soft. The Mink has a presence but good splay.

I liked the new Mink knot so much that I’ve packed the green handle one in my travel kit (along with a Yaqi two band) for an upcoming extended trip!

proxy.php
Very nice review with some effort put in.

Reactions: nav

proxy.php
I just recently returned from a 15 day trip on which I brought my Yaqi Mink brush. It was great, although it's a bit large for a travel brush in my opinion. The only Yaqi brushes I haven't liked so far are the Moka Mew Brown and the Sagrada Familia tuxedo. I loved the handles on both but not the knots. I don't remember what I did not like about the Mew Brown, and I don't have it anymore to try to figure it out. With regard to the Sagrada Familia Tuxedo, the knot was too lacking in density, so I replaced it with a PAA Roswell Gray. With its small compact handle, it's a perfect travel brush. The Mink will stay on the shelf by the sink where it gets used regularly at home. My other Yaqi brushes, which I use regularly, are the Rainbow Brown synthetic and the 26 mm Moka two band badger, both of which are excellent brushes and great bargains.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very comprehensive as always @nav also impressed with that haul you’ve got there. I’ll need to read this all again but that cola handle really stood out to me.

I just recently returned from a 15 day trip on which I brought my Yaqi Mink brush. It was great, although it's a bit large for a travel brush in my opinion. The only Yaqi brushes I haven't liked so far are the Moka Mew Brown and the Sagrada Familia tuxedo. I loved the handles on both but not the knots. I don't remember what I did not like about the Mew Brown, and I don't have it anymore to try to figure it out. With regard to the Sagrada Familia Tuxedo, the knot was too lacking in density, so I replaced it with a PAA Roswell Gray. With its small compact handle, it's a perfect travel brush. The Mink will stay on the shelf by the sink where it gets used regularly at home. My other Yaqi brushes, which I use regularly, are the Rainbow Brown synthetic and the 26 mm Moka two band badger, both of which are excellent brushes and great bargains.

I also feel the mink knot is one of the nicest available!

Was it tough to remove the knot from the sagrada handle?

Very comprehensive as always @nav also impressed with that haul you’ve got there. I’ll need to read this all again but that cola handle really stood out to me.

Thanks!
If you search my post history, you'll see many Yaqi reviews. I hope they can help others on choosing the Yaqi product most suitable for them.

I've got another Yaqi review coming up soon.

Funny. These are the same two brushes that are in my main rotation ;the Rainbow Brown synthetic and the 26 mm Moka two band badger. Unfortunately I find that the Moka has lost its scrub feeling and has become sort of a silvertip knot. I don't like silvertip knots feeling.

And I sold the Sagrada brush as it did dissapointed me.

Funny. These are the same two brushes that are in my main rotation ;the Rainbow Brown synthetic and the 26 mm Moka two band badger. Unfortunately I find that the Moka has lost its scrub feeling and has become sort of a silvertip knot. I don't like silvertip knots feeling.

And I sold the Sagrada brush as it did dissapointed me.
So far my Yaqi Moka two band is holding up well, but I hope it doesn't lose the scrub as yours have. Like you, I am not a big fan of silvertip badger knots. In fact, I have often thought of selling or reknotting a West Coast Shaving silvertip brush I own. What stops me is that I have decided not to purchase any more badger knots or brushes, so I'll probably hold on to it as is. I have a Maggard two band badger knot in a Made Rite handle, and that knot is great. You might look at those or at the Maggard SHD two bands. I've never used the latter but have only heard good things about them.

The re-knotted brush looks absolutely amazing!!
Thanks, that Roswell Gray knot was recommended by several folks here on the Forum. It is the first non-Yaqi synthetic knot that I have really liked. I just received a TNS Full Moon knot, and the first use was a bit disappointing. Like the much more expensive Simpsons Chubby synthetic, I found it annoyingly difficult to splay. I pulled the knot and reset it at a higher loft and will try again tomorrow.

Thanks, that Roswell Gray knot was recommended by several folks here on the Forum. It is the first non-Yaqi synthetic knot that I have really liked. I just received a TNS Full Moon knot, and the first use was a bit disappointing. Like the much more expensive Simpsons Chubby synthetic, I found it annoyingly difficult to splay. I pulled the knot and reset it at a higher loft and will try again tomorrow.

The full moon is actually one of my favorite synthetic knots!

Synthetics are sensitive to loft and the full moon around 54-57mm is just amazing!!

Top Bottom