What's new

Soaps to sample on a trip to France

I'm going on a trip to France (Paris and its outskirts) in the next couple weeks (from the USA) and staying for a couple of weeks. I was wondering if there were any unique shaving soaps (or creams or stores) that anyone might recommend that are not particularly available in the US (or are substantially cheaper on the continent).

On my radar to experience/sample are Martin de Candre and Le Pere Lucien. I have heard that certain soaps of MdC can be drying, and I'm not a big fan of that (a reason I never liked my Geo Trumper's Rose soap I bought in the latter century). I'm intrigued by Planete Rasoir as a location to visit, if only as a lark.

I'm happy to try artisanal makers that aren't available outside France as well. This is just a way for me to have my own personal trip to France.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

Haven’t been to France since I started wet shaving, so I could be wrong. But my understanding is that MdC is only available at MdC itself and at Planete Rasoir.

Don’t know about the LPL, but my guess is that Planete Rasoir is probably as good as any place to check it out.

Probably worth stopping at a pharmacy to see what’s on the shelves and pick up a blind buy for fun.

Good quality shaving soaps are available at the Printemps Pour Homme department store in Paris. In fact, their shaving department is incredible. I picked up some MdC, Pres de Provence, Joris/Plisson as well as some non-French soaps there. When I was there the saleslady was very knowledgable about shaving. Also, stop off at some of the less expensive stores such as Carrefour. I picked up some Monsovan soap and Williams cream in those stores for little cost.

I've given up on hunting for shaving gear while on vacation. I never really find much and the things I do find I can easily purchase online before or after the trip. If I happen to stumble upon something then that's great otherwise I'd rather just enjoy my vacation doing vacation stuff. I would recommend that you try Martin de Candre and Le Pere Lucien at some point. Maybe purchase them ahead of time and bring some with you in some small screw top containers so that you can use them there.

Maybe you could have a look at the nice (and less expensive) " Monsieur Barbier" products in some Monop' / Monoprix shop

Came across some photos of the Printemps Pour Homme store.

Printemps shaving 2.jpg Printemps shaving.jpg

Unfortunately I was not yet into wet shaving when I went to France a few years ago, so I can't say about the specific soaps/creams there and their availability. But what I can say is that in addition to any shaving stores others list, to also just check in groceries and pharmacies and see what they have. Here in Europe, there's a lot of good soaps and creams for really reasonable prices at pretty much all of these stores, so it's worth taking a look at the very least. Happy hunting!

Just a quick update: trip was amazing, even experiencing the record-setting heat (god bless fans). Planete Rasoir was wonderful. So many things to look at, smell, etc. Within one sentence of my broken French, the salesperson was very kind (even apologetic) in switching to English. Apologetic in the sense that my poor skills made it easier for both of us. I loved how he tried to sell me shaving soaps for each season.

Coming home, I brought back the classic Monsavon (which has ... an animal-esque scent to me, but not unpleasant) and a fantastic Citrus (agrumes) from Martin de Candre (which I shaved with as much as I could while on vacation).

I don't find MdC to be drying, but I will admit that it does not have a noticeable moisturizing post shave feel. When I use Mitchell's Wool Fat, the post shave feel is unbeatable. With MdC, the shave is unbeatable, but the post-shave feel is non existent.

Saw this thread late but was gonna recommend planet Rasoir and picking up mon savon but looks like you did both!

I remember walking into planet Rasoir with my wife. She immediately saw that look in my eye and said give your wallet lol

I was in Corsica once. They had Monsavon soap and Gillette Bleue Extra blades at the grocery.

Monsavon is pretty nice. Great scent.

Just a quick update: trip was amazing, even experiencing the record-setting heat (god bless fans). Planete Rasoir was wonderful. So many things to look at, smell, etc. Within one sentence of my broken French, the salesperson was very kind (even apologetic) in switching to English. Apologetic in the sense that my poor skills made it easier for both of us. I loved how he tried to sell me shaving soaps for each season.

Coming home, I brought back the classic Monsavon (which has ... an animal-esque scent to me, but not unpleasant) and a fantastic Citrus (agrumes) from Martin de Candre (which I shaved with as much as I could while on vacation).

Congratulations!! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

Top Bottom