What's new

Soap brush

S

Sam

Ok, I am thinking of getting a fun soap only brush, so it is not like I want to spend a lot. From what I have read, I am thinking of a Rooney Style 1 small Silvertip which is $75. Also, there are several 23 mm Shavemacs, but maybe getting it in a finest instead of a Silvertip might solve the situation I had previously. I had a 23mm Shavemac that I felt was a little bit more floppy than say SMF1 and much more floppy than the XXL Shavemac.

I want this brush to double up as a travel brush so I need it to work decently with a cream. The 21 to 24mm range is what I am after. I had a PJ1 that was too small and did not like.

I have read Joel's review of the three Rooneys and I like how he says it is soft. Anyone else comment on the Rooneys and how they are packed and whether they open up more or less than say the 23mm Shavemacs?

Sam

S

Sam

Chubby 2. At times I was considering a Chubby 1 for a soap brush but decided too much money. I use creams a whole bunch and the SMF1 is a good all around brush. The XXL shavemac really can not be beat, for me of what I have used, on creams. A bit large to use on soaps since you need to pick soap up with it and it is a water hog. I tend to prefer creams but have a small collection of soaps that I want to use more. I have QED soap in a tub and that is not so hard to pick up as much as those smaller shave soaps.

I keep thinking a Euro White Plisson in size 12 would be awesome but that would run about $200 I think, and for that, a PJ3 Super could be had, I think, from Lee. Maybe the Rooney is not stiff enough, nor the shavemac, and so the PJ3 might have to be it or a Duke 2.

Sam

So did you actually get the Chubby 2, or are you still considering the PJ3? Tell me you bought SOMETHING!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

S

Sam

I did not buy the PJ3. I was worried about the loft making the brush splay. I would have considered a Tulip.

Sam

Sam,
A Rooney is an awful brush for hard soaps.... in fact - my Rooney Finest is the only brush I go out of my way to NEVER use with soaps, as it is highly ineffective. The best soap brushes will be stiffer and have a lightbulb like shape - IE Plisson.

If you want a dedicated soap brush - get a $35 C&E best, or a Plisson #12 Euro White. Period.

lee's razors has a soap brush in "fine badger" i just bought yesterday for $23. i'll know more once it get's here. my savile row SR208I is horrible for soap....

i tried to find the C&E brush locally and gave up after three days of dealing with horrible people who work in the shops.

s~s

Top Bottom