What's new

Soap and aftershave/cologne combinations

As I update and expand my arsenal of shaving soaps and scents, I have found that every time I use an aftershave, it will mask the scent of the soap that I just used. The problem I'm running into now is that in order to avoid the smell of the awesome soap that I just used from going away, I don't use an aftershave. This isn't a habit I want to get into, especially because I love the aftershaves that I have. (i.e. Nivea's original post shave balm, and a Calvin Klein post shave balm that came with the cologne I bought)

So my question for you guys is, is there a way to get around this? I guess the simple solution is to buy aftershaves with the same scent as the soap I just used, but as a college student with a very limited budget, that isn't the most feasible option. I know there are unscented aftershaves, but since I've never used them, another question is, will the unscented after shave get rid of the smell of the shave soap I just used?

Also, I feel like the shave soap aftershave/cologne market allows for some really cool combinations. So another question I have is, is there any particular combination of shave soap and aftershave that you have found to really compliment each other?

Also feel free to suggest your favorite aftershaves as I am looking to find new options!

Happy shaving guys.

Some of my favourites,
Tabac Original Shaving Soap + Tabac Original Aftershave, also goes well with Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve or Varon Dandy
Arko, Derby or Williams Soap + Aqua Velva Ice Blue or Williams Expert Aqua Velva
Proraso Green/White Soap/Cream + Floid Vigaroso, Aqua Velva Ic Blue or Williams Expert Aqua Velva

The rest of my soaps: Bea, Blue's Soap Goat Milk And Animal Fats From New Zealand, De Vergulde Hand, Godrej Shaving Rounds, La Toja, Lea and Palmolive all have very neutral scents and won't swamp any of my aftershaves

Fine Accoutrements Platinum shaving soap, Fine Accoutrements Platinum Aftershave, and Creed Aventus cologne. This is my go to, Fine based Platinum off of Creed. It's an awesome scent!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Most soap scent is very fleeting, which makes enjoying it's scent more probable, during the actual shave as opposed to after the shave. The only option one would have in prolonging that exact same scent of the soap after the shave, is to pair it with it's matching brand of aftershave.

There are numerous different aftershaves that will pair nicely with many soaps, but if the exact same scent of the soap is desired for a longer duration after the shave, then the exact same matching scent of aftershave has to be acquired.

I never expect the scent of my soap to linger so I usually don't make it a point to match the scents. There is one exception to that, though. Anytime I use CO Bigelow cream, I always use Proraso green aftershave splash and the CO Bigelow green cologne. Those are all good scents together.

I tend to soaps with milder scents that do not interfere with my AS.

For example, MWF or Haslinger's soap, then any splash works well for me! Current favorites include: OS, Pinaud clubman, Floid vigoroso, and Fine American blend. I also enjoy Lucky Tiger on days when I am working with people who may not appreciate a lasting scent.

I find the scent of the soap I use to be fleeting. I enjoy the scent while shaving but as soon as I rinse my face following the shave the scent is gone. I do, however, try to pair an aftershave to the soap for my own enjoyment.

If your experience is different, as others have suggested, you could by matching shave/aftershave products.

Whenever I want to smell the soap for longer after the shave, I rub the extra lather all over my face and neck while I clean up, then rinse with cold water only, and follow up with either plain witch hazel, or something that has minimal or short lived scents, like Lucky Tiger or the like.
Good luck!

You don't need an aftershave. You could do an alum block followed by a cold water rinse. Then enjoy the scent of the soap until it fades.

I enjoy allowing scents to morph. My usual routine is soap/cream -> aftershave -> EdT.
If I particularly like the scent of a soap, I'll frequently use it with an a/s or EdT that has a similar or complementary note.

Speick goes well with its own a/s and Speick EdT. It also goes well with anything lavender (like Caron pour un Homme EdT)
Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh goes well with anything with incense notes or tobacco. I normally pair it with Quorum a/s & Quorum EdT.
Mike's Peppermint & Rosemary goes with other herbal things. I pair it with Clubman Vanilla (lots of sage and tonka (grass)).
Haslinger Marigold plays nice with other florals. I pair it with The Veg.
Captain's Choice Bay Rum likes other Bay Rum. I normally pair it with Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum to add in extra spices. I follow up with Lapidus pour Homme. The pineapple and honey in the Lapidus blend well with Bay Rum.
Proraso Sandalwood is very strong and lasts a while on me. I really like it with something that adds a top note. Florida Water fits the bill. I then follow up with something strong like Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. I also liked paring it with Aramis aftershave and then not wearing an EdT. Aramis aftershave lasts 4+ hours on me.
Proraso Green goes will with eucalyptus and citruses. So, Florida Water a/s and then Korous Body.
Proraso Blue is subtle and long lasting. I pair it with Florida Water.
Arko stick is a citrus. I follow up with Florida Water as an a/s and then Aramis Tuscany EdT.

I use lots of Florida Water because it is inexpensive, citrus tends to go with almost everything, and it smells good. I do tone mine down with about 10% glycerin and I add about 3 drops of patchouli and 3 drops of vetiver to each bottle as a fixative.

Top Bottom