What's new

Soaking Razors in Vinegar - Safe or Sorry?

Hey guys.

I have a question regarding restoration of straight razors.

I want to soak my razors in a bath of white vinegar, to remove the tarnishing, rust and water-spots, and bring back the shine to the blades.

My question is: would doing this damage the (plastic, celluloid) scales? Is it safe to put them in vinegar? Or should I suspend them out of the solution somehow, to prevent damage?

I thought I should ask before I try this, just in case something happens that might be irreparable.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
That will not make your razor bright. It will give it a dark gray patina, as will most acidic substances. A brief soak won't harm celluloid or plastic scales. I wouldn't bother.

If you want the blade to shine, hit it with any metal polish that contains only very fine abrasives. In fact I myself favor the use of diamond paste. Try .5u (half micron) paste on a scrap of old tshirt with the razor pinched between folds, with the spine of the razor toward your hand, edge out away from it. Be careful. Get careless and you can slice deeply into your hand or fingers! I recommend avoiding power tools for now. Very easy to overheat the micro thin apex, and push the temper, while giving you no sign, as well as spoiling a good edge.

There are other polishes that are popular for this. Maas, Mother's, many others. Your choice is not all that critical.

I've heard that white vinegar will work on stainless steel but I haven't tried it. Years ago I did try it on carbon steel and Slash McCoy is 100% correct, you will get a dark gray patina. Personally I would go for Maas or one of the other polishes.

Top Bottom