What's new

So you all saw the crazy yellow swirled/marbled bakelite that sold for $250?

I picked up a damaged version of the same brush, but orange, and had to buy a top to restore it (top had a strip in the middle that was caved in).

In doing so I had to bring in the threads on it a little, as the tops on the adorations were crazy thin (hence why the top on mine was so damaged) and I'm replacing it with a different brand top.

This exposed the original color scheme.

It's a faux mother of pearl swirl of semi-translucent pearly white and subtle reds and browns. Really a pretty pattern. If I wind up keeping this, I'll give serious thought to sanding part of the handle to expose that original coloring.

Attachments

• 1F46C11B-7649-4AF8-ACEF-F5EDA840B87C.jpeg
    1F46C11B-7649-4AF8-ACEF-F5EDA840B87C.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 9467122E-A0F9-4B48-BDA5-B18A41EC7B89.jpeg
    9467122E-A0F9-4B48-BDA5-B18A41EC7B89.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 70B53878-B8D8-4F64-AFD3-703EA5D1CEE5.jpeg
    70B53878-B8D8-4F64-AFD3-703EA5D1CEE5.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 122
Thank you. I really lucked out finding the top part. I was having difficulty finding one in this size, and when I did most were listed for $40 or more. Happened across this one on Etsy in a lot of brushes that had just been listed and snagged it. I think it looks better than the original top did, and it might have been NOS. The knot is pretty immaculate.

Fitting it was a bit of work, but not too terrible.

This one was crazy too... and a few others $100+

Yeah, I suppose any time there's a large vintage brush up for grabs, collectors and enthusiasts out there lose their mind over it. [emoji23] I'm not the one to shame anyone, I've done it too, only with straights and jnats...

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I think it's partly the isolation too. Prices on eBay for most of the stuff I collect have gone up at least 50% so far this year. I've sent David a few links to crazy things. One lot of rusty, almost worthless straight razors got bid up to like $300 and neither of us could figure why. People who are still collecting a pay check and can't go out and spend it just see something they want (maybe some scales in that lot appealed to them?) and will pay what looks outrageous to guys like us who've been watching auction prices fluctuate in much more normal ranges for a decade or more.

Last edited:
I haven’t been on B&B in quite some time. I was searching for another Sirvis Brush and stumbled upon this post. I am the owner of Adoration mentioned in original post. While I paid more than I wanted, it was a brush I had to have. As for the red Sirvis brush I know the owner of that brush. Pictured is my NOS appearing Amber Sirvis.

Top Bottom