What's new

So what do you make of Bronies?

I watched the documentary on Bronies on Netflix with my kids. My eleven year old daughter thought they were sweet kids - and my son who is almost ten was mortified. Of course, if it's not minecraft, Marvel comics, Doctor Who, or Georgia Tech football, he has no interest. I was into skateboarding, heavy metal and punk rock the way those fellas are into that cartoon, and I know people thought my friends and I were weird. Different strokes...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Obsession in any form is generally not good, even here at B&B.
What it is in particular that you obsess about matters very little.
I have no doubt that if they made a TV show about some of the members here that we consider to be "normal" that there'd be a whole lot of folks thinking we were weird too.

I have no doubt that if they made a TV show about some of the members here that we consider to be "normal" that there'd be a whole lot of folks thinking we were weird too.
I'd actually like to see a wet-shaving documentary.

I think the documentary makes the point that in the end, the whole Brony phenomenon is more about community, and less about rainbow ponies. If true, then I heartily approve.

I'd actually like to see a wet-shaving documentary.

I think the documentary makes the point that in the end, the whole Brony phenomenon is more about community, and less about rainbow ponies. If true, then I heartily approve.

I suggested this idea to a friend who works for NBC News. I think a good angle could be the counter culture aspect of bringing back DE and straights to circumvent the barrage of advertisements telling us to buy increasingly expensive and silly multi blades. Somehow the ritual of wet shaving can lead to healthy male bonding, especially for men of ages where we have left many friends in the past as we married and had kids and worked on our careers.

It's been a long day and I'm not sure if the run on sentences above are coherent, but I'm going to hit the Reply button anyway.

I think that it is strange, but everyone has something that others would consider weird. I am sure most people would consider us weird for being a member of a forum about shaving, an activity that most view as nothing more than a necessary evil.

I think that it is strange, but everyone has something that others would consider weird. I am sure most people would consider us weird for being a member of a forum about shaving, an activity that most view as nothing more than a necessary evil.
Good point. Since most shavers feel that shaving is more of a nuisance than anything, joining a forum or using a DE--or straight for that matter--must seem a bit odd. In the eyes of most, it would be the equivalent of a lawn pushmower forum, or using a wringer to do your laundry. Of course, we know better, but to the uninitiated, it must seem crazy. I have only mentioned to one friend that I sometimes shave with a straight, and the look on his face was one of abject horror.

Having said that, I personally don't get the whole collecting aspect of DE shaving, but I have never really been the collecting type.

And I still don't know what to make of Bronies. I suppose it is the notion that we don't normally associate guys with cartoon ponies.

Last edited:
I think many people want to escape sometimes from today's complicated society. I can think of worse ways.

But indeed, once it becomes an obsession, it is getting unhealthy.

And I still don't know what to make of Bronies. I suppose it is the notion that we don't normally associate guys with cartoon ponies.

Just as many don't associate us with talking dogs who are afraid of their own shadow... yet a lot of us would be very happy hunkering down to watch the classic Scooby Do episodes with some popcorn and a beverage. lol

Good point. Since most shavers feel that shaving is more of a nuisance than anything, joining a forum or using a DE--or straight for that matter--must seem a bit odd. In the eyes of most, it would be the equivalent of a lawn pushmower forum, or using a wringer to do your laundry.

You got me on the DE shaving, the clothes wringer, and the push mower (there's a push mower forum - where?). But as for the attraction of anime cartoon characters and the like - I just don't get it.

I had a friend in HS who learned to write Elvish as a result of his obsession with the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Today he's a Neuroscientist at a major university. This kind of obsessional focus at that age is normal and I suspect has some advantages long term.

I can no longer sit back and allow Bronie infiltration, Bronie indoctrination, Bronie subversion and the international Bronie conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Scooby was way too unrealistic to be credible, Danger Mouse on the other hand....
. . . can't hold a candle to Underdog!

I can no longer sit back and allow Bronie infiltration, Bronie indoctrination, Bronie subversion and the international Bronie conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Bronydom is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous plot we have ever had to face.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
So what do you make of Bronies?

This is what I think of it.

$Herbert.JPG

I would like to say live and let live but I do question any obsession. I don't know enough about these gentlemen to know if this is one small part of a balanced life or if this (let's face it, "weird" :)) obsession is all consuming.

Top Bottom