What's new

Snuff. Why?

I don't mean for the thread title to be inflammatory or troll bait. I'm serious, I've never tried it and don't know much about it. Just wondering why it's used. Is it a nicotein delivery method for you? Do the 'flavours' excite your receptors? Do you get a buzz from it? I mean, at this point, I'm smoking pipe mostly because I revel in the complexities of the smoke's characteristics. I don't think I'm puffing for nicotein but I could be fooling myself. Is it similar for snuff use? I just can't imagine that experiencing snuff's flavour or aroma or whatever is as intense, complex and rewarding as it is with pipe smoking. But I realize I'm probably just naive.

I bring this up because I'm getting curious enough about it that I'm thinking about ordering a little sample pack. Which brings me to my next question(s): Is snuff the same as pipe tobacco regarding laws, shipping, etc. Any Canadians out there know anything about having it shipped from the U.S... legal, not legal, same as pipe tobacco laws? Are there any Canadian sources for it? Thanks.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
All I have to say is...if its for KarlMaldensNose you better order a big tin :)

I use it for about all those reasons. It's a way of consuming nicotine, and it does excite me a little(not in a weird creepy way). I don't get a buzz from it though.

The flavor or whatever of snuff is pretty intense and complex. But like pipe tobacco it depends on what blend you are taking. Some won't have as much scent added to it, some just have a single flat note, etc.

I'm still pretty new with it so I am probably not the best person to talk about it.

There isn't a us source. Which is odd because it is hands down the safest way to consume tobacco. I order my snuff from Mr Snuff. I guess Northerner sells snuff now, but they won't ship it within the US because of some bogus law.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
All of the above. Someone sent me samples, and I can't wait to place an order (oral surgery has set everything back) as I have run out of the Sam Gawith Honey. It is a nice, long lasting flavor.

All I have to say is...if its for KarlMaldensNose you better order a big tin :)

That's good! Never made that connection myself... you know what they say: big nose, small brain.

Great stuff, guys! Thanks for the info. I almost crapped myself when Chris brought up the PACT Act, which I'd never heard of, and is intended to "curb underage purchases of tobacco from online sources." Thankfully it applies to just cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, leaving our precious pipe tobacco alone. But yeah, that's gotta put a little crimp in the lives of snuffers. I found it very interesting to read what Chris wrote about matching the kind of snuff to the weather and his mood. I think most of us select our pipe tobacco at least to some extent that way, so sure, why not apply that to other forms of tobacco consumption.

why?

cause Copenhagen's the cure for worms and long relationships. yes it is a nicotine delivery system. about the most effective one out there, based on how big a dip you take, how long you leave it in.

if you aren't addicted to nicotine yet, why start now? getting clean of it suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. and yes you are getting nicotine from your pipe, like it or not. my last relapse came from just puffing cigars, to clean out my humidor. but I'm addicted to nicotine, and always will be, based on my use of it. and dipping is my prefered delivery system.

oh, and chicks really dig dip stuck in your teeth, on your breath, spit at their feet. it's an excellent ice breaker while meeting new women, if that's another goal.

I'm not trying to preach at anyone here. I love a good cigar. never really got into pipes, but I understand it, cause I'm a sucker for a ritual. there's just a whole lot of downside to dipping, and about the only upside I can see is feeding an addiction. and chicks really hate it. if they aren't sensitized to it, they're likely to abhor it.

Last edited:
why?

cause Copenhagen's the cure for worms and long relationships. yes it is a nicotine delivery system. about the most effective one out there, based on how big a dip you take, how long you leave it in.

if you aren't addicted to nicotine yet, why start now? getting clean of it suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. and yes you are getting nicotine from your pipe, like it or not. my last relapse came from just puffing cigars, to clean out my humidor. but I'm addicted to nicotine, and always will be, based on my use of it. and dipping is my prefered delivery system.

oh, and chicks really dig dip stuck in your teeth, on your breath, spit at their feet. it's an excellent ice breaker while meeting new women, if that's another goal.

I'm not trying to preach at anyone here. I love a good cigar. never really got into pipes, but I understand it, cause I'm a sucker for a ritual. there's just a whole lot of downside to dipping, and about the only upside I can see is feeding an addiction. and chicks really hate it. if they aren't sensitized to it, they're likely to abhor it.

Nasal snuff.

that's even nasty to me. but I never snorted coke. all nasal snuff ever did was make me tear up, blow brown snot ribbons, and choke down/spit out what made it down the back of my sinuses.

but to each their own. :)

I suppose so.... I never snorted coke either btw.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I don't think snuff is supposed to make it all the way up into the sinus and down the throat.

I don't think snuff is supposed to make it all the way up into the sinus and down the throat.
That is correct. It's pretty easy to sniff if too hard at first and send it all the way back there. I still do it on accident, especially with very fine and dry snuff. Doesn't stop me from loving the stuff.

that's even nasty to me. but I never snorted coke. all nasal snuff ever did was make me tear up, blow brown snot ribbons, and choke down/spit out what made it down the back of my sinuses.

but to each their own. :)

That is correct. It's pretty easy to sniff if too hard at first and send it all the way back there.

It's really not but, it happens.

I get that the goal is to deliver it to only the nasal passages, but it's eventually gotta end up either in your sinuses or down your throat, no? What else happens to it? I believe that the finest of the fine powder might disolve, but anything larger than that has to go somewhere. Or am I way off in my understanding of this?

You blow it out at some point. It'll drip out one place or another after a while. Like for me the nose will start to run and I'll sniff to keep it in there and that forces it down the throat after a while. The super fine dry stuff I tend to over sniff and it just goes straight to the back of my throat.

I get that the goal is to deliver it to only the nasal passages, but it's eventually gotta end up either in your sinuses or down your throat, no? What else happens to it? I believe that the finest of the fine powder might disolve, but anything larger than that has to go somewhere. Or am I way off in my understanding of this?

I think I understand how to initially "deliver" the snuff into the nose. I guess I am more curious about what happens once its there...is there any spitting involved or the likes? I grew up with mostly dippers and smokers so I have never actually seen it done.

I have used snuff on and off for the past 4 years.

Snuff is an excellent, cheap way to alleviate cigarette cravings if you want to quit or if you feel a nicotine craving in a place where you are prohibited from smoking cigarettes or a pipe. It definitely delivers a nicotine hit through the nasal membrane, but it takes longer that cigarette smoke.

Like anything, you need to practice using it properly. A typical error for a beginner is to “snort” it. This causes the powder to burn the nasal cavity or ends up dripping down the back of the throat which is unpleasant. Instead, snuff must be gently breathed in through the nose. You will need to keep a handkerchief in your pocket (preferably brown in colour) as “what goes in must come out”.

Top Bottom