What's new

Smell Stay-ability?

Okay, this is the last of my dumb newbie questions. Promise. At least for today.

I love the idea of a good smelling shaving cream (or soap, but this is the cream section, innit?). I'm an olfactory based person, and the thought of surrounding my nose with lavender in the morning is just giggle-inducing.

Unfortunately, I work in the wine-industry, which means generally (except for the odd day when I know I (or those around me) won't be tasting) it's fragrance free; hell, there are days that deoderant is a bit much (those are the rare days though, generally the tasting-intensive ones)

How long does the scent linger? Does it come off when you rinse your face, or will it still be around when you get home? How powerful is it in terms of being noticed by others vs a private pleasure?

Sorry about all the questions.

If scent is a question- take no chances and use the scented creams/soaps for the weekend and try unscented ones for the weekdays. There are many out there- Good Luck:thumbup1:

My experience is that the smell doesn't linger, but I agree: if it's critical (and it sounds as though it is), go with the unscented soaps and shaving creams.

most of the scents don't stay on your face after 10 or 15 mins max...but KMF unscented is a really good, readily available, absolutely unscented cream

Much to my dismay, the wonderful scents of the creams last but briefly. By the time I get to the office (20 minutes away) its all but evaporated.:frown:

QED sandalwood soap lasts a good 5 hours on me. Most other soaps and creams have faded out after an hour or so.

There are very few creams whose scents linger past half an hour. Of those I've tried, the only one that comes to mind is Caswell-Massey's Sandalwood. The scent from that one lingers for hours. You should avoid it (for this reason, as well as its latherability).

Unfortunately, I work in the wine-industry

Talk about sour grapes! :blink:

Rinse well is probably the best thing you can to remove the scent. And stick with lightly scented or unscented creams on work days. Giggle with the lavender on the weekend.

I say go for it. When your co-workers start commenting about the lavender bouquet of all the wines, quietly switch to unscented :biggrin:

_JP_ said:
Parataxis said:
Unfortunately, I work in the wine-industry
Talk about sour grapes! :blink:
Yeah, that's an industry I wouldn't wine about working in. To me it always sounded like a merlot of fun, and if I'd be entering that industry I'd definitely have grape excpectations of the job. The people there always seemed like quite a wild bunch, bordaeuxing on the insane... uhm... running out of bad puns... Sorry guys ;)

Yeah, that's an industry I wouldn't wine about working in. To me it always sounded like a merlot of fun, and if I'd be entering that industry I'd definitely have grape excpectations of the job. The people there always seemed like quite a wild bunch, bordaeuxing on the insane... uhm... running out of bad puns... Sorry guys ;)

You're making my head-hurt with those puns; it's like I cot a sinus infection. Ahh well, que syrah syrah.

The only soap I've used that is pretty tame as far as scents go is the Pirate Cove Menthol. It's pretty lightly scented, but it should last throughout your shave and shouldn't give you any problems fragrance-wise.

This is a big YMMV question.

Two items that I find last on me for several hours are QED Rose soap and Saint Charles Shave Oakmoss Lavendula cream.

Everytihng else I have tried (Proraso cream, Trumper Sandalwood & Violet Soap, SCS Bay Rum cream, Salters creams, Valobra Menthol, Musgo cream) leave no scent behind.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd say take the advice with a grain of salt ... since your nose is probably a lot more sensitive than the usual nose, so the cream scent probably lingers longer than we notice.

I'd say try one of the 3Ts ... the English products tend to be a bit more refined than the OTT new world blockkbusters (kind of like comparing Bordeaux to California Zinfandel, eh?). Be sue to wash your face thourouhly after, and then use an unscented ASB or A/S, or witch hazel.

I guess it was the yeast you could do.

Top Bottom