What's new

small brushes anyone?

My first brush was a 30mm, and since then I've just gone smaller and smaller. At this point I'm eagerly awaiting my ebony sr3318 (the 3320 is my current favorite). 23mm is the biggest I can stand now, and even that seems too big at times.

Anybody else tried smaller knot sizes and can't go back to the larger sizes?

Yup. My first brush was a 24mm silvertip, which quickly became much too big for comfortable use -- it was like using a paintbrush. Then I bought and had Shavemac re-bristle a much smaller brush (18mm knot) in pure black badger, and it was a completely different world -- tons of control.

I've got an order with Atkinson's for a Plisson #12 in pure black badger, but I'm worried that with a 22mm knot it'll be too big for comfortable use, and I'll be unhappy with the purchase. So... I'm thinking of calling them tomorrow and changing it to a #10 (20mm knot).

1. Bigger isn't necessarily better; and
  2. Size counts.

I actually started with smaller brushes and moved to bigger ones and now I find anything less than 23-24mm is not going to cut it for me.

I too have moved on to small brushes, I currently have a SR 3118 and a Rooney Size 1. I had a Shavemac 429 at one point, but it was much too big for my face. For now the SR 3118 and the Rooney brushes seem to be the perfect size, and I'm seriously thinking about putting the SR 3118 up on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum as I mostly use the Rooney anymore.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm with Slider on this one. Even 20mm seems substantial since I received an 18mm Shavemac. The thing is so puny that it's laughable, but it really works. I'm amazed that it can generate as much lather as it does. When I go back to a 23-25mm brush, it feels as I should be using it on my car.

I have been downsizing as well. I sold all of my larger brushes and find I prefer a 22mm knot with a 50 or 55mm loft. Then again I prefer soaps to creams. Maybe that is why I am so much happier with a small brush.

I love the feel of my 23mm Shavemac on my face -all the soft warm bristles- but I do find that a smaller knot is better because it won't hold in the lather so much and it doesn't take as much cream.

I really like the luxurious feel of a larger knot. My smallest brush is a 23mm Shavemac, but I am really enjoying the feel of the 27mm Chubby 2. (Oh, I do have a little 20mm or so Vulfix, but it does not really see use for other reasons.) I'm not sure I get this "control" thing. Who needs control, when you can revel in sensuous hedonism?

-Mo

I've never been a fan of the huge brush - the biggest brush I've owned is a Rooney #1 large at 26mm (which I actually enjoy).

As I've moved to using soaps most of the time, I've also developed a decided preference for brushes of about 20mm or less and have sold off all my bigger brushes except for the Rooney and am thinking of putting my SR3122 on the block as well since I hardly ever use it.

I really like the luxurious feel of a larger knot. My smallest brush is a 23mm Shavemac, but I am really enjoying the feel of the 27mm Chubby 2. (Oh, I do have a little 20mm or so Vulfix, but it does not really see use for other reasons.) I'm not sure I get this "control" thing. Who needs control, when you can revel in sensuous hedonism?

-Mo

That's my opinion as well. Lather the whole face, let the razor find the whiskers.

My first brush was a 30mm, and since then I've just gone smaller and smaller. At this point I'm eagerly awaiting my ebony sr3318 (the 3320 is my current favorite). 23mm is the biggest I can stand now, and even that seems too big at times.

Yes Dennis, I have. I have been using a SR 3120 for a month now. I really enjoy the control I have with this brush. I also have two custom Shavemac's in 22mm. I felt that after all 3 bloomed, they were the perfect size for my face. The SR 3118 is all the rage on the forum right now and I am curious. The 3120 mirrors all the the things that are great about the 3118 and then some. Don't get me wrong, I still like using my SR 3824, but for now the smaller brushe are getting much more use. Happy lathering with your new brush!!

Yep, love the small brushes.
I have a 3320 and a 3824 and the 24mm knot doesn't get that much use any more - pretty much only once a week during the weekend shave.
I have many times considered putting up the 3824 on the B/S/T but just can't bring myself to do it - it was my first really nice brush and I really love the handle, just wish the knot was smaller. It's also an ebony model which are kind of rare so I know I would eventually regret selling it.

The only thing that I dislike about smaller brushes is that sometimes the corresponding handles end up being too small and uncomfortable to me.

Boogie/Clay - if you sell the 3118 give me a PM. I've been interested to see the difference between the 20mm and 18mm knots and the 31xx and 33xx style handles.

I have a 21mm Muehle-Pinsel silvertip that I really like. Soft, yet scrubby and very controllable. My main complaints would be lack of heat retention and the lather can get a bit thin after a couple of passes. A scuttle and better technique will probably solve these issues.

The sweet spot for me currently seems to be ~22 mm (T2 and Plisson 12 territory). I used to use my larger brushes a lot more, even the formidabe BK12 that doesn't see much action these days. The SR3118 falls into the "weedy but wonderful" category producing more lather than it should for its size and holding up well against the slightly bigger sizes.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like both, but do prefer the smaller overall. I started with a big brush (Vulfix 377) and first found out the joys of a small brush with a Simpson Major. I really like my rooney Beehive too.

My favorite brush is the EJ small Super Badger Brush with immitation marble handle at 19mm. My B&B 23mm brush seems too big. The other brushes in my rotation are also about 19mm, a C.O. Bigelow Pure and the $39 EJ Best from Duluth Trading.

I have the AOS 19mm? brush and the B&B, love the size of the AOS, but not the scratchiness. Can't wait for the new B&B essential. :thumbup:

Apparently my 23mm shavemac is on the large side of small, but i am really loving it so far. i received a rooney style 3 size 1 yesterday and have yet to use it, but it is a nice looking little brush. i can't imagine them getting much smaller than that, but i find the 18mm SR intriguing. Now i wish i had ordered one. o well, i'm sure i'll be able to find one on this board if i decide i must have it!

Scott

I'm new to using a brush so this is a newbs perspective. I do quite a bit of research before jumping into most things. With my first purchace I spent around two weeks reading forums and reviews. After every thing I read and considering my small budget I chose a SR 3118 from QED. After having watched Mantics videos and seeing the pictures in the reviews I was initially disheartened at what I saw when I opened the box. Then I used it! WOW what the heck do you do when you use a larger bush? paint your head....lol . I find that I like to pay attention to the area that I'm lathering, not put cream up my nose. So, at this point I don't think I'll ever end up going too much bigger.

Next purchase is a 19mm B&B.....sounds very nice though I'm dieing to know who's making it.

Top Bottom