What's new

SLR lens to DSLR?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hey. I realize I don't post in this forum much but got to ask!

Playing with astrophotography last night with great results! Want more lenses, but put off by costs.

Had a Pentax K1000 back in the day - you did too! Three lenses, including decent Japanese glass telephoto. Currently shooting Nikon D3200 DSLR.

So I just ordered a ring adapter. Since I shoot on manual, I see no reason this won't work!

Has anyone else rejuvenated old lenses from SLR to DSLR?

AA

Reactions: abj
I think you need an adapter with a glass element to correct for infinity focus. If your adapter is just an empty tube it will work for close up flowers or bugs but not the moon and the stars.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I think you need an adapter with a glass element to correct for infinity focus. If your adapter is just an empty tube it will work for close up flowers or bugs but not the moon and the stars.

I guess we'll see. With three Japanese lenses and a doubler, its worth a try ...

AA

This page shows that the Nikon F mount has a flange distance of 46.5 mm while the Pentax K mount sits 45.46 mm from the film or sensor plane. This means that an adapted Pentax lens wouldn't focus to infinity on a Nikon SLR. Of course most old Nikon film lenses work fine on Nikon DSLRs.

I’ve bough a bunch of the older Nikon lenses to use with my digital Nikons. The older lenses might not be as sharp but they are still amazing for the price.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This page shows that the Nikon F mount has a flange distance of 46.5 mm while the Pentax K mount sits 45.46 mm from the film or sensor plane. This means that an adapted Pentax lens wouldn't focus to infinity on a Nikon SLR. Of course most old Nikon film lenses work fine on Nikon DSLRs.

I did read it, thanks. Math doesn't lie, maybe these people are ... Can return.

"Focusing infinity.
No ROM connection on the adapter.
Diaphragm control of the lens is set manually.
Automatic diaphragm, auto-focusing, or any other functions will not operate correctly while using this adapter.
"Stop-down mode" will need to be used when metering since the lens does not have the ability to have its aperture controlled by the camera body.
Made of aluminum.

Compatible with:

Pentax K Mount PK Lens

Nikon (D)SLR Camera"

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hoping that, due to the focal plane/fundamental differences between film and modern lenses, that this will focus to infinity... as in a film 200mm is now a 225 or 180mm, i forget!

AA

I had an old Olympus E500 DLSR that I bought an M42 adapter for. I had fun playing around with it since the old M42 lenses were dirt cheap 10 years ago. It made me slow down a lot and think about my pictures instead of running the camera in Auto all the time.

From back in the day, I have a Nikon F2 with a set of Nikkor lenses (35mm, 50mm, and 85mm). When I started out with digital photography, I picked up a Nikon D40 as it was compatible with these lenses. Only problems are that the camera light-meter does not interface with the older lenses, and the actual focal length or angle of view varies from what is stated from the old lenses to the two digital zoom lenses. To get around the light-meter problem, I first take a light-meter reading with the digital lens, then swap in the traditional lens set to the pre-determined aperture setting; this is followed by moving backward to arrive at the same effective angle of view.

I’ve bough a bunch of the older Nikon lenses to use with my digital Nikons. The older lenses might not be as sharp but they are still amazing for the price.
and you will have to do all your exposure calculations manually. depending on the lens you lose comaptiblility.

it's a few years old, but this is still viable:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This came! And it actually works!

The answer is in a small lens element between Pentax and Nikon.

The 80-200mm and an f2.2 50mm are focusing to infinity, I'm super pleased!

While I know it's no substitute for Nikon lenses, for my purposes it should work and cost very little.

AA

This came! And it actually works!

The answer is in a small lens element between Pentax and Nikon.

The 80-200mm and an f2.2 50mm are focusing to infinity, I'm super pleased!

While I know it's no substitute for Nikon lenses, for my purposes it should work and cost very little.

AA
That's great! I'm glad it works. That's how you have to do it. I didn't think the consumer adapters had lens elements in them. In my old job we had some adapters with optical elements to convert video zoom lenses to a new mount system. They were very expensive!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Had a better chance to examine the imagery I shot at dark yesterday, pleased x2.

Can see wires on a crane 4 miles away, lights 5 miles distant, cars 3 miles away ... better than I thought.

Glad I didn't throw those lenses away! (Probably should toss the cameras, though.)

And apparently, a 50mm film lens translates into 33mm, the 70-200mm is now a 45-131mm zoom.

(x1.522)

AA

Last edited:
Had a better chance to examine the imagery I shot at dark yesterday, pleased x2.

Can see wires on a crane 4 miles away, lights 5 miles distant, cars 3 miles away ... better than I thought.

Glad I didn't throw those lenses away! (Probably should toss the cameras, though.)

And apparently, a 50mm film lens translates into 33mm, the 70-200mm is now a 45-131mm zoom.

(x1.522)

AA
Glad to hear they work! I think you're doing the math backwards though. The lenses should be more tele on tour crop sensor body, unless the optics work as a speed booster.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glad to hear they work! I think you're doing the math backwards though. The lenses should be more tele on tour crop sensor body, unless the optics work as a speed booster.

Thanks. I'm not even sure! There is a lens element that might correct back to normal, or do something else!

If not, 50mm x1.5222 = 76mm, and 70-200mm is 106-304mm!

Additional, I had about 15 minutes yesterday with it, was all.

Further reading reveals pros poo-poo this, but it's a cheap fix for me.

Now. Let's hope for clear skies, a steady tripod and a view of the stars ... maybe Betelgeuse will blow and I'll get a supernova shot!

AA

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I had an old Olympus E500 DLSR that I bought an M42 adapter for. I had fun playing around with it since the old M42 lenses were dirt cheap 10 years ago. It made me slow down a lot and think about my pictures instead of running the camera in Auto all the time.

Nicest jpg color ever from the e-500. Today they can all shoot a black cat in a coal mine but the colors need help. Progress I guess.

Nicest jpg color ever from the e-500. Today they can all shoot a black cat in a coal mine but the colors need help. Progress I guess.
I loved that little fella. I may see if I can charge the battery pack up this weekend and pull out some of the old lenses.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is surely enjoyable to work with; I had to make a second "non-digital" camera bag setup (as I don't want to carry these daily).

These are Japanese Tokina lenses, made in the early 1980s. Seems like good glass.

Looks like the 50mm IS giving an actual x1.5222 = 76mm, and 70-200mm is 106-304mm. I also have a 2x doubler!

Telephoto-y indeed; the 50mm is rather too tight inside rooms. Anyways.

Wished for a moon shot last night, but just too hazy. But the night itself is patient, and the stars do wait forever.

AA

This is surely enjoyable to work with; I had to make a second "non-digital" camera bag setup (as I don't want to carry these daily).

These are Japanese Tokina lenses, made in the early 1980s. Seems like good glass.

Looks like the 50mm IS giving an actual x1.5222 = 76mm, and 70-200mm is 106-304mm. I also have a 2x doubler!

Telephoto-y indeed; the 50mm is rather too tight inside rooms. Anyways.

Wished for a moon shot last night, but just too hazy. But the night itself is patient, and the stars do wait forever.

AA

I was also hoping to get some super moon shots, but too cloudy here too. Oh well I usually find shots closer to quarter to be more interesting anyway. Especially if it's just a Tele shot of the moon and not a landscape shot. Looking forward to see what you get on a clear night.

Top Bottom