What's new

Slim rescue mission

Here was my vacation project: A rusty, corroded and maybe slightly overpriced ($17) mess from an antique shop (a 1962 Slim), that nevertheless appeared to be fully functional. I forgot to take before pictures, but it wasn't pretty: huge gobs of brown rust from an ancient blade that was still inside, pitted, bare brass patches, some of which had turned green. Alternate baths in white vinegar and hot water and dawn got it this far. Some Maas polish returned the shine to parts that weren't too far gone. I've had four excellent shaves with it. The blade loads and aligns perfectly, the doors close and lock smoothly, it clicks through all 9 settings perfectly, and the only apparent flaw is that one of the safety bars appears slightly bent, with no impact on the shave as far as I can tell. Should I cash in my chips here?
20180712_221934.jpg
20180712_222008.jpg
20180712_222038.jpg

You should be able to straighten the safety bar no problem with the right size flat screw driver (tape the end) and some gentle persuasion.
I picked one up the other week, I have never ever seen another razor as dirty. It was so disgusting it took over a week of constant soaking, hot baths with detergent and baking soda, ultrasonic treatments to get it anywhere near clean. Even after all of that the adjustment slider was blocked up on 9 (not the twist collar) and I had to force it down and up hundreds of times (no exaggeration) making tiny increments of progress each time then soaking again until it worked properly.
Then I had to straighten the bar on one side which was causing one of the doors not to seat properly and open at a different time.
Happy ending though, it all works just dandy now. It's just a pity I prefer other adjustables ;-)

I don't know what it is about these "rescue" razors. My second Fatboy was a bargain, price wise, yet in terrible looking condition. But it worked. Cleaned it up, and I use it more that my first Fatboy, which is in excellent condition. I think because I spent so much time and energy on it, I have an affection for it. Same with my short-handled Super Adjustable. I have one that is in pristine condition, and one I saved off the junk heap. Not only cleaned it, had to fix it too. And that's the one I use. Go figure.

Thanks all for the advice, encouragement and flattery. You guys are able to take examples in even worse shape than this one and fix them up. I'm not afraid of rust and corrosion, but wouldn't have taken it if it had any mechanical problems. It's amazing how these old nickel-plated brass razors can be brought back to full working order with only cosmetic blemishes despite all the abuse, wear and damage.
It looks like minty clean Slims can be had on ebay for around $30 and sometimes even less, but where's the fun in that?

Last edited:
Here was my vacation project: A rusty, corroded and maybe slightly overpriced ($17) mess from an antique shop (a 1962 Slim), that nevertheless appeared to be fully functional. I forgot to take before pictures, but it wasn't pretty: huge gobs of brown rust from an ancient blade that was still inside, pitted, bare brass patches, some of which had turned green. Alternate baths in white vinegar and hot water and dawn got it this far. Some Maas polish returned the shine to parts that weren't too far gone. I've had four excellent shaves with it. The blade loads and aligns perfectly, the doors close and lock smoothly, it clicks through all 9 settings perfectly, and the only apparent flaw is that one of the safety bars appears slightly bent, with no impact on the shave as far as I can tell. Should I cash in my chips here?
View attachment 897222 View attachment 897223 View attachment 897224
proxy.php

Beautiful job cleaning up a great razor. A few hours ago, I had 3-4 days growth. I did a first pass with a Muhle R41. Then I took out the blade and put it into my Gillette Slim, set on 2.5. The second pass was so incredible, utterly smooth I had to check to see if there was a blade in there. You have yourself one world-class, awesome razor. I hope you get many, many enjoyable shaves with it!

Thanks all. I find this Slim and the Super Speed I got a while back are both excellent. It's amazing to me how American men so willingly switched to plastic disposables and cartridges in the 1970s in the interest of slightly more convenience. Yes, it's possible to get good shaves with those, but I find they are nowhere near as smooth as the heavier brass razors. The 6S is still my best girl, but I'll go for a Sunday stroll with these distinguished older ladies every now and then.

Top Bottom