What's new

Skin issue

So, in mid October I switched back to using H&V's Cognac & Cuban Cigar for my shaves. Unfortunately, I have had some skin issues. I use the soap, balm, aftershave and cologne. Also beard oil and balm.

Is it possible that one of these products has "gone bad"? Never experienced this before with these products, and I really don't want to have to abandon the scent.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a feeling it could be either the balm or the soap, if either has a fat that went rancid. But it seems like your nose would warn you? So, lol, my thoughts are probably worthless!

I have a feeling it could be either the balm or the soap, if either has a fat that went rancid. But it seems like your nose would warn you? So, lol, my thoughts are probably worthless!
Well, my sniffer is not the greatest. But thanks. I should add that the result (and apologies in advance for this) of this is an area of "oozing" on the skin surface followed by raw, dry, cracked and flaking skin.

I should add that the result (and apologies in advance for this) of this is an area of "oozing" on the skin surface followed by raw, dry, cracked and flaking skin.

This doesn't even sound like fragrance allergy but something else completely.

@FarmerTan is right. By all means discontinue using the products if you think they might be exacerbating the problem, which is possible, but it sounds like this requires a trip to a dermatologist / GP.

Just shaved . . . H&V C&CC soap. It was a bit tender, as my throat area was still a bit raw. Germolene on the affected area post shave. So far so good.

So, in mid October I switched back to using H&V's Cognac & Cuban Cigar for my shaves. Unfortunately, I have had some skin issues. I use the soap, balm, aftershave and cologne. Also beard oil and balm.

Is it possible that one of these products has "gone bad"? Never experienced this before with these products, and I really don't want to have to abandon the scent.
Your skin issues could be unrelated to the shaving products. Depending on the severity, I believe seeing a doctor is a good advice.
That being said, I am curious if you are using their croap or triple milled soap.

Anyway, my bet is on the balm. As a general rule, I keep my balms in the fridge. That comes after I experienced several balms going bad after a year at room temperature.

Good luck.

Joining the consensus here, A dermatologist is your best bet.

A family member here has had some non-shaving skin issues that turned out to be "combo platters" where no single product was enough to push her skin over the edge, but the accumulation of irritants from multiple sources was too much for her system to handle.

Even that would have to take a back seat to the possibility of some illness. An MD is advisable.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Did the skin issues appear at exactly the same time you switched back to C&CC?

Did you introduce anything else new into your shave routine? New brand or same brand but new package of blades? Different razor? Did you switch from cold to hot water? 🤔

I would use process of elimination to determine which item(s) is causing the issues. However, that can be a slow tedious task. Ideally, you want to know as quickly as possible if *any* of them are causing an issue, and then go from there.

I would start by avoiding all C&CC products for a few shaves and see if you have any issues. Avoid the preshaves and aftershave and use a mild scented, preferably unscented, shave soap. Preferably something you've used in the past with no issues.

Did the problems go away?

If no, then you know, at least with some confidence, that the C&CC products are not responsible. Probably time to see a dermatologists.

If yes, then introduce only one C&CC product for a few shaves.

It might take a while, but you should have your answer if you take a scientific approach.

Did the skin issues appear at exactly the same time you switched back to C&CC?

Did you introduce anything else new into your shave routine? New brand or same brand but new package of blades? Different razor? Did you switch from cold to hot water? 🤔

I would use process of elimination to determine which item(s) is causing the issues. However, that can be a slow tedious task. Ideally, you want to know as quickly as possible if *any* of them are causing an issue, and then go from there.

I would start by avoiding all C&CC products for a few shaves and see if you have any issues. Avoid the preshaves and aftershave and use a mild scented, preferably unscented, shave soap. Preferably something you've used in the past with no issues.

Did the problems go away?

If no, then you know, at least with some confidence, that the C&CC products are not responsible. Probably time to see a dermatologists.

If yes, then introduce only one C&CC product for a few shaves.

It might take a while, but you should have your answer if you take a scientific approach.
I'd been using up Jilek's tobacco scented soap, with C&CC aftershave items. Today's shave was C&CC soap, and no other products. Put Germolene on my neck area to soothe the rawness from previous issues, as well as today's shave, and no other products.

So far so good. Next shave will be Wednesday night. Fingers crossed because C&CC is my favourite scent. My wife loves it, too, and the ladies at work all have something to say when I wear it. I would hate to have to find something new in this profile.

Also, referrals to a dermatologist take forever here.

I had to sell my soap and AS. The soap was the croap and it mildly burned while the AS burned like hell fire and left my face and neck red. I am allergic to something in it. Too bad because it does smell good.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This doesn't even sound like fragrance allergy but something else completely.

@FarmerTan is right. By all means discontinue using the products if you think they might be exacerbating the problem, which is possible, but it sounds like this requires a trip to a dermatologist / GP.
Not to be an alarmist, really.....but.....I had a client that I used to give flat top haircuts to. He had a spot behind his ear that popped up out of nowhere, and would ooze a serosanguinous (sp?) liquid and scab over. Almost reminded me of lymphatic fluid, and this was years before I swapped jobs from Cosmetology to nursing. So I plead ignorance.

Anyhoo, this went on for a few years. He'd get a haircut every 2 or 3 weeks; a good flat top requires maintenance.

He finally came in once with a bandage behind his ear! I knew (still do) his whole family quite well, friends and actually family with them now.

It seems he was coaching his kids in soccer and a parent walked up to him, and asked him when he was going to come visit him to remove the skin cancer from behind his ear! So he did that week. It was something that was more than likely not going to progress, and was unchanged in all the time I'd seen it. But I followed it closely for years, and it never came back. So, my motto for that is "better safe than sorry" because that is awfully close to the branes, and unless you are married, God only gives you one of those!

Top Bottom