What's new

Single edge razor worth it?

Hi

I would like to understand why one would go for single edge razor and with limited choice of blades with it when one already can have a good double edge razor say muhle r41 for example.

Is it because because single edge razor is cheap and wouldn't harm to give it go and keep it as a collector's item or does it have anything more to give that a double edge or straight can't give.

I am not being negative here but trying understand the scientific reasons over psychological reasons.

I look forward to your replies especially from someone who has used single double and straight.

Thanks

80211ac

Last edited:
My reasons are: Thicker single edge blades handle coarse stubble better.(Something that I have read is still a problem with an r41.)
With stroping ,the blade cost is less.
The initial cost of the razor is often $10 or less
It is actually easier to find and keep the proper angle.
Depending on the razor the shave is extremely close with little or no irritation.
The audible feedback is helps efficientcy of passes if you have trouble seeing while you shave.
The blades are easier than many DEs to load.
Take from that what you will neighbor:)!

Satisfying shaves to ya!

To put it simply, I get a better shave in nearly every way (closer, smoother, less irritation) from my single edge razors.

Once mastered, I find that SE's are actually easier to shave with than DE's.

Vintage single edge razors generally are of higher quality than DE's. None of my SE's have cracks in the handles.

I do not see the limited blade selection as a negative. Rather than having to experiment with 20 or more different blades searching for the best one for me, I merely have to determine if I prefer stainless or carbon steel.

For me, single edge blades last much longer than DE blades, making them less expensive to use.

Single edge razors are generally less expensive. I paid less than $20 each for the majority of my 50 SE razors.

A Gem Micromatic Open Comb or an Ever-Ready 1924 is every bit as aggressive as an R41, while at the same time being more forgiving.

I have 25 DE razors that I will soon be selling, as I no longer have a need for them.

Okay, I may keep a couple. :001_smile

--Bob

Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't suggest an injector, a subset of the SE genre. Compact, smooth shavers! :thumbup1:

Hi

I would like to understand why one would go for single edge razor and with limited choice of blades with it when one already can have a good double edge razor say muhle r41 for example.

Is it because because single edge razor is cheap and wouldn't harm to give it go and keep it as a collector's item or does it have anything more to give that a double edge or straight can't give.

I am not being negative here but trying understand the scientific reasons over psychological reasons.

I look forward to your replies especially from someone who has used single double and straight.

Thanks

80211ac
Interesting to choose the R41 as the "for example". That's a great razor if you master it; it's not for everyone.
I think some SE razors will get just as close, easier to master. The limitation in the blade choices might be a deal breaker for some people, that much is true.

But also the R41 is an interesting choice because... it really suffers in one very important way, by comparison. Most of the old SE razors are built like tanks. They can be ugly, having plating work, be dinged to death and still shave on VERY well. The R41 has nice, thick plating. If that's ever breached, the zinc alloy under it is gone. Bye bye. The handles on the R41 are oft-replaced with stainless handles, too (which is a good thing, short term) -- and that can easily lead to destruction of the plating on the threaded post.

And one more reason the R41 is an interesting choice. At least the 2011 version, but probably also the 2013... it's been oft-observed that blades don't last as long in these razors as most others. This may be related to the edge of the blade sticking out more under the top cap than most (which is not exactly "blade exposure", but is often confused with it). And this keeps the blades less stiff, more blade "chatter". Especially if used at a steep angle. Blade chatter leads to weepers; this is especially na issue with very coarse beards.

SE blades are thicker, stiffer; even without any top cap they'd give no chatter at all. And the blades will last longer. Finally, beyond lasting longer, they degenerate much more gracefully than most DE blades. That is, they don't suddenly decide to bite once they're worn out. They just slowly cut less well. (They'll respond better to stropping, and they'll respond more to changes in technique to make them last, if that interests you, too).

When I got my eyes opened to SE razors, (thanks AnthonyD), I didn't necessarily think they gave me better shaves than my favorite DE razors. I still don't think that. But it made me mad that an $11.00 Eveready 1924 or $11.00 Gem 1912 could really do about as well as a $70 Weber, or a $185 ATT. For real. Maybe a step down. Maybe.

ALMOST unrelated... like those who would feel remiss in not mentioning injectors, I'd feel remiss in not mentioning the modern SE blades, and the Cobra, Mongoose, and (soon) HuntLee razors for them. What you don't get with these is the pricing advantages I've been writing about. These are expensive razors, and pretty pricey blades. But the blades for many people last longer than DEs, enough to offset the price difference completely; they're again stiffer blades, and perhaps the sharpest disposable blades made.

I use as many types of vintage razors as I can find and purchase. I like them all, and do not restrict myself to just one type. I get great enjoyment out of owning and shaving with them all, SE included.
They all shave differently, and feel differently in the hand. Each of them require differences in technique. To me, it's no different than choosing different soaps, creams or aftershaves.

I consistently get a better shave with a SE compared to my DE razors. I think a lot of it has to do with the increased width of the SE blades so they shave more area with fewer strokes. Sometimes my technique can get a little sloppy towards the end of the shave so the increased efficiency of the wide SE blade cause my shaves to be finished more quickly. I still like to rotate my DE razors along with my SE razors simply because they are quality pieces and the different experiences each brings is worth their place in my rotation.

I think you need to try a vintage SE. It's a different shave experience and for some it works for them better than a DE. You will never know till you try and the price point is so low I think it's crazy not to, (if you're the type to own multiple razors.)

I recently tried one (GEM OCMM) and found it pretty close to my R41 in quality. And that was on my first try. I plan to use it exclusively for a week or two in the near future to truly set how I feel (I'm testing out several soap samples now and feel I can judge them better with my DE - rule #2 of shave club is not to change too many variables at once)

Inexpensive (for the most part) classic razors, built to outlive any of us. Good prices on blades which outlast any DE blades. Great shaves. It all adds up to a big yes from me. SE razors are outstanding.

Hi

Thanks

80211ac

The others have already stated the major advantages, but there is one thing that is an obvious advantage that hasn't been mentioned in enough detail and that is advantageous blade angle. With most DEs and especially TTO safety bar DEs there is a small window of viable angle options. You go too shallow and the bulbous top cap interferes, you go too steep and the safety bar interferes. With almost any SE you will have a lot more control over the angle, which of course means there is a higher learning curve and greater possibility for error. What you will find is that you can alter the angle like you would with a straight razor to achieve maximum cutting efficiency.

Andrew, who posted above in this thread, has very generously lent me a Weber PH DE (Thanks, My Friend). It is one of the smoothest most efficient DEs that I have ever used; however, even with that wonderful razor I have yet to match the closeness of shave that I get from my Kampfe Star Super Six and Kampfe lather catcher. Maybe for you that won't be the case, but you won't know unless you try.

Since there has been so much remissness in this thread, I will say that I hear quite a bit about injectors and modern SEs on this forum, but I hear so little about the Kampfe Brothers. When I was researching my Star Super Six and Kampfe lather catchers, I could find almost no information at all. It is a shame to me that the ones who started it all are mentioned so little on here and I can honestly say that I have never had a Gillette, Gem, Schick Injector, or any other razor shave as close as my Star Super Six.

I've bid on a couple of Kampfe Bros razors on the auction site, but alas... still haven't tried one. I'm sure AnthonyD is right (because he's my SE guru anyway) but... at least the EverReady and Gem razors are available, and usually at prices that make them very easy to just experiment with. Some exceptions (I'm looking at you, Streamlines). I still love DEs, but I tend to love DEs that cost a lot more. I love DE handles that cost a lot more than my GEM Damaskeenes, even. I hope to love straights (which will take getting better with them) but price is another thing altogether, again....

The Kampfe brothers were safety razor pioneers; Waits Compendium devotes an entire chapter to them. I would love to add one or more Star/Kampfe razors to my collection.

However, a quick eBay search turns up all of 7 Star/Kampfe razors, with the lowest opening bid being $65. In comparison, a similar search for Gem razors results in over 750 hits, with many 99 cent opening bids.

In addition, while some of these old razors can use modern SE blades, others will only take a wedge blade. It can be difficult to tell which is being offered from auction descriptions.

--Bob

Thank you for your feedback gents now my next task is to go for a hunt in the UK for one and making sure I will find blades as looking online it seems it's a big market for the US but not much in the UK.

Thank you for your feedback gents now my next task is to go for a hunt in the UK for one and making sure I will find blades as looking online it seems it's a big market for the US but not much in the UK.
Good luck. Connaught carries the stainless ptfe blades
There's a U.K. based forum called The Shaving Room that could probably tell you where you can find the carbons. I lurk there occasionally, but have not joined. I bet there are U.K. members here who can as well.

Hi, carbon blades in the uk are very hard to find but i got mine from amazon.com 120 blades for $14 plus shipping, connaught are my prefered supplier for the ptfe coated blades in the uk and they post quickly.

just my 2p

Honestly, I think that it should be mandatory for everyone to try a DE, SE, and injector razor for a week+ each at least once in their lives. YMMV with each, and each has it's own distinct shaving style and characteristics. Trying out a Gillette Tech DE, GEM 1912/ Junior, and Schick type J/I injector will give you the easiest of each world, then allow you to choose which styles you'd like to pursue. With the standard SEs and injectors, your options for blades are certainly a bit easier (i.e., fewer choices), but again, every razor, blade, and combination yields different results

Top Bottom