What's new

Should I even attempt shaving with a double edged razor?

May I suggest sort of a compromise? Try a twin blade cartridge. The refills don't cost much and they give a better shave than the ones with 5 blades that pivot.

Trac.jpg

If you are interested in tying wet shaving and you live in the US. I will gladly set you up with a nice starter kit.
Gillette flair tip and a Gillette Tech
Boar brush
A few sample blades
And some soap.

All free of charge. All I ask is that you check out this great forum and learn from it. If in the end you do not like it. No biggie you gave it an honest shot.

Just send a PM with your address and I can get it out later this week.

Tom
Great offer Tom! - Chad

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

May I suggest sort of a compromise? Try a twin blade cartridge. The refills don't cost much and they give a better shave than the ones with 5 blades that pivot.

View attachment 1070309

I love the Trac 2! My dad's been using it for 35+ years you can get a Razor handle and 100 blades for About $20 all in. Persona blades off Amazon. You can get at least 3 shaves from each blade. Razor handle off Amazon Trac p ii. Nice alternative to diving right into wet shaving. Also I think you will get a better quality of blade and shave than the disposables you are currently working with IMHO. YMMV.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Best cartridge ever. I get perfect shaves from it every single time. I ordered some custom colored handles from Germany yesterday. Will post review and pictures.

Razor handle off Amazon Trac p ii. Nice alternative to diving right into wet shaving. Also I think you will get a better quality of blade and shave than the disposables you are currently working with IMHO. YMMV.

That is diving into wet shaving. What else would you call it? I can get 8 shaves from one cartridge.

If you want to try and slow it down and enjoy the shave, yes.

If you want to keep doing what you’re currently doing, I’d say, no.

Shaving is a skill that takes time to learn how to do correctly once you remove all the training wheels like carts and guards from razors. The less safe the safety razor the more skill it requires to use. So depending how you approach shaving will determine if you want to DE shave from that standpoint.

The other thing to consider which I found to be true is your shave pimples and ingrown hairs if you get them from using carts will stop when you go to any non cartridge style razor whether it be DE or SE safety razors.

Finally if you want something that is similar to cart razors but better I'd suggest looking into injector razors instead. Unfortunately there isn't much to choose from for newer offerings but if you don't mind using a DPR (dead persons razor) aka vintage then take a look at Schick injector razors.

Besides expressing that you want to find a more economical way to shave, I can’t figure out why you are here and asking if it’s right for you. I am not sure if I would even say that you appear to be expressing interest in this method of shaving. If you are all about quick and dirty in your shaves then it’s probably not in your best interest to even dabble with a DE razor. However if you have more or less misrepresented your intentions for asking the question, and you are open to discovering various benefits beyond economy with a DE razor, then maybe you should try it.

if you are looking for a less irritating shave, or avoiding ingrowns, better skin care, or just looking for a break from the daily grind to enjoy something for yourself, then you should explore the componentsof wet shaving. Maybe start with a good cream/soap and a brush. If that’s better for you, and your interested in more, then start researching a razor that can meet your needs.

I never hated shaving, but I always thought it should cost less and should be more enjoyable. Somewhat by accident, I discovered it could be both when I bought an adjustable DE, a puck of Tabac and a boar brush.

Well I think DE will not save you money since you are using cheap disposable razors. But it may give you new dimension of shaving which will make it mroe enjoyable. Maybe it will be the feel of the razor, maybe it will be soaps or brushes. Give it a try with cheap but quality starter set up.

Yeah, sure why not?
Grab a Feather popular and try it out. It’s a pretty mild razor and inexpensive so it might just get the job done for you cheaply.

you should try DE in a non reckless way. you might like it. i was you once shaving was a nuisance. if you end up not liking it, get your self an electrical trimmer and a andies pro foil to finish the job.

I don't think you're likely to beat a one-pass shave in terms of efficiency if that's your end goal but you stated that you don't enjoy shaving and to me that's what DE shaving is all about - taking a drudgery and making something fun and relaxing out of it. Collecting things if that's your bag, trying new stuff, and learning some new skills.

+1 Not much to add to this. I’d stick with a cart if you’re just looking for a fast, efficient shave.

If you are interested in tying wet shaving and you live in the US. I will gladly set you up with a nice starter kit.
Gillette flair tip and a Gillette Tech
Boar brush
A few sample blades
And some soap.

All free of charge. All I ask is that you check out this great forum and learn from it. If in the end you do not like it. No biggie you gave it an honest shot.

Just send a PM with your address and I can get it out later this week.

Tom

cant beat it when you get offers like these from like minded members.

Top Bottom