What's new

Shipping via USPS

Hey guys-

I'll be shipping a 100ml bottle of cologne via USPS and am wondering if there are any restrictions and/or necessary steps involved other than packing it very well. When they ask if there's anything flammable/hazardous do you just say, "Yes, it's a bottle of cologne." ? I'm assuming this is nothing new, but I'd rather ask before I run into problems.

Thanks!

I just told them it was cologne. That lets them know whether to ship on the ground or in the air. I don't think cologne can go via air. But I've been wrong before.

They'll ask if it's liquid, hazardous, etc. Tell them it's liquid and fragile -assuming it's a glass bottle. Also tell them that it's wrapped in bubble wrap, sealed in a zip lock bag and surrounded by plastic peanuts. Make sure the box looks secure and there's no movement in it, by stuffing in the plastic peanuts. You shouldn't have a problem.

Don't just tell them this, pack it this way. I've done just this approximately 10x w/no problem.

Good luck,

jim

I just told them it was cologne. That lets them know whether to ship on the ground or in the air. I don't think cologne can go via air. But I've been wrong before.

They'll ask if it's liquid, hazardous, etc. Tell them it's liquid and fragile -assuming it's a glass bottle. Also tell them that it's wrapped in bubble wrap, sealed in a zip lock bag and surrounded by plastic peanuts. Make sure the box looks secure and there's no movement in it, by stuffing in the plastic peanuts. You shouldn't have a problem.

Don't just tell them this, pack it this way. I've done just this approximately 10x w/no problem.

Good luck,

jim

Thanks, guys!

Hey guys-

I'll be shipping a 100ml bottle of cologne via USPS and am wondering if there are any restrictions and/or necessary steps involved other than packing it very well. When they ask if there's anything flammable/hazardous do you just say, "Yes, it's a bottle of cologne." ? I'm assuming this is nothing new, but I'd rather ask before I run into problems.

Thanks!

I can't say for certain, but I think the last bottle of JPG I bought I got online and it was sent air.

I never told them I had cigars in the tube we were sending back and forth...:spockflam

If you look closely at the picture at the USPS office of "Restricted" items, it appears that it contains bottles of cologne/perfume. The caption under this picture says, "Don't ship." I've been asked on occasion what the bottle I'm shipping contains, I say cologne, and there hasn't been a problem. I'm pretty sure there's a USPS employee who's a member here; I wish he'd clarify this issue.

jim

If you look closely at the picture at the USPS office of "Restricted" items, it appears that it contains bottles of cologne/perfume. The caption under this picture says, "Don't ship." I've been asked on occasion what the bottle I'm shipping contains, I say cologne, and there hasn't been a problem. I'm pretty sure there's a USPS employee who's a member here; I wish he'd clarify this issue.

jim

There really isn't any thing to clarify. Cologne is considered hazordous by USPS regulations. Some USPS employees may not care or don't answer the proper questions. But if you're caught (probably not), there can be hefty fines.

Next to the address label, print the words:

ORM-D
SURFACE ONLY.

Then ask for and pay for "Parcel Post", which is ground. Don't ship it internationally, if you don't have the proper permit it's illegal.

Choosing to ignore the restrictions and getting "caught" will be about as fun for you as making jokes about explosives in the security line at the airport.
Sue

Next to the address label, print the words:

ORM-D
SURFACE ONLY.

Then ask for and pay for "Parcel Post", which is ground. Don't ship it internationally, if you don't have the proper permit it's illegal.

Choosing to ignore the restrictions and getting "caught" will be about as fun for you as making jokes about explosives in the security line at the airport.
Sue

Sue,

What do this indicate :ORM-D?

There must be a way to do this, since you and lots of other mail order places that sell perfume/cologne are able to ship. Unless you have to get a special permit to do so.

Thanks.

jim

I love this stuff its just regulations run amok. I must have been away when there were all those large cologne explosions and fires:ohmy:. I wouldn't want to put cologne in the cargo hold after all there are all those open flames down there:spockflam I could see if you were shipping large commercial quanties 10's or 100's of litres but 50-500ml???:confused: I know I feel safer, just like that big bin of nail clippers, files and multitools makes me feel better :death: along with those giant bins of fluids that they took from people because they could be explosives :a18: (but they think its a good idea to store that right there in the airport :out::eek:sama: :eek:sama: :eek:sama: :eek:sama:

Sue,

What do this indicate :ORM-D?

There must be a way to do this, since you and lots of other mail order places that sell perfume/cologne are able to ship. Unless you have to get a special permit to do so.

Thanks.

jim

There is a way. Just send it ground. The issue is when you send it air.

ORM-D is Other Regulated Material-Consumer Commodity. It's one of many classifications of Hazardous Material.

John is correct regarding Parcel Post. If the package is small, Parcel Post is a lot more expensive than First Class (used up to 13 ounces) or Priority for over 13 ounces.

Here is the link to calculate Domestic and International postal rates from the USPS website:
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home&page=0061calculatepostage

You can also order mailing supplies to be delivered to your home, including stamps; and search regulations & restrictions.

Sue

Top Bottom