What's new

Shaving Soap Sticks -for a closer shave?

Why is it, when I rub the soap stick directly on my face, and then control the water content using a brush to whip up a lather I get a closer shave than by using any other method?

Why is it, when I rub the soap stick directly on my face, and then control the water content using a brush to whip up a lather I get a closer shave than by using any other method?
There may be no telling. That's a recipe for disaster for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I can’t tell you why, but using shave sticks (or hard pucks like sticks) give me the best and easiest shaves too

I can’t tell you why,....
Maybe by pushing the soap firmly on to, and into the root of the the stubble has something to do with it? The effect must be related to exfoliation

A lot of shavers in an earlier generation shaved in this way

Last edited:
Could the improved shave quality result from the shave stick's soap being rubbed into the facial hair, thus softening it up for a smoother shave?

Whatever works best for you is just fine!

My lather depends more on the particular soap than whether I apply the product from a puck or stick. For example, I get the same, great results using a La Toja stick (my preferred ’travel’ soap) or if I grate the stick into a puck and use the same product at home!! But that’s me! :clap: :clap:

In theory, the scrubbing action of the soap should help to lift the hairs, remove dead skin, etc (but doesn't the brush do this already?) as well as leaving a more concentrated product on your hair before your start to lather which would help soften hairs quicker (but you are following this with vigorous lather building and more time of said product on your skin, hair has limits to it's 'softness' and some people find softer hairs bend instead of cut). So, it could be real or it could be placebo. Either way, if it's working then stick (hehe) with it!

It's worth noting that I too always found the same result as you with sticks vs non sticks, until I revisited proraso and learned why/how I was using it wrong. Not saying you should switch to proraso nor trying to make this into a 'sticks vs creams' thread, just sharing my journey.

I've read that soap alkalinity actually makes the hair shaft stiffer so it can be cleanly cut.

Since I also get a closer when I use shaving sticks, I would guess that the extra soap being applied directly to the hair shaft really stiffens it up and allows for a closer shave.

It sounds like that's your best combination for your best lathering technique.

For my limited experience with a stick, so far Arko works better when I grate off a small piece into my lather bowl than when I apply it directly to my face.

My best shaves come with using creams, where I dab out a bit extra and gradually add water until it's yogurty. The precision of a cream works for me like no other.

YMMV really is a true-ism.

I've tried Arko shave stick and got great results but when shaved and pressed into a bowl I get a better lather when puck lathering like I always do with other soaps. I guess it's a matter of preference or personal technique but I get my best shave when I puck lather.

always enjoy my modern as well as vintage, shave soap sticks!!

just about all are tallow-based!

shave sticks.jpg

Top Bottom