What's new

Shaving Brushes: Soak, yes or no?

Hi everyone
Back when I knew nothing about nothing my first shaving brush was an Omega Boar that I bought at Shoppers Drug Mart for about $10.00 cad. When I did use it I simply turned on the tap, soaked the brush and immediately started shaving. I've since learned that soaking a boar makes a big difference in terms of softness and feel. I recall reading somewhere that not soaking a boar brush increases the risk of damaging/breaking the hairs. I'm not sure if that's true so I felt this would be the place to get the straight goods as it were. As for Badgers, I have one (Simpson X3, best) and I do soak it. I'm not sure if their is any value in soaking it as I find it's really soft and floppy anyway. Is it really necessary? Any known risks of damaging Badger hair without taking the time to
soak? For the longest time I used to use the same synth everyday and I used to mash it like their was no tomorrow. I would likely still be using it had the donut hole not been so obvious.

I run underwater, and shake, then lather.

Am I 100% correct heck no, do what WORKS FOR ME.

Find what work for you like finding anything you like, trail n error works.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! I'll continue soaking the tips of my boars. The others; badger and synth I will just wet and start loading.

I put my brush in a mug of water before I get in the shower regardless of the knot. It soaks while I shower. I don't know how much it helps, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. At this point it's just a routine that works for me.
That's the key, not hurting anything. I take extra care not to submerge my wood handle brush. Thank you!

I've tried two methods over the years (face latherer):
  • soaking my badger while I shower, and then wringing it almost dry (with a shake or two to clear the tips) and then loading
  • just running under hot water for a minute before wringing out (and shaking) and then loading (badgers and synthetics)
I get much better results with the latter method.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I do not use boars, and I know they would need to be soaked. My badger (and also the syns) I soak in warm water while i take my shower. Just a habit, but it warms up the brush and its handle nicely and keeps the lather warm. I guess both would need no soak, I just do it. Do what ever you feel is right for you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just bought a bunch of natural hair brushes over the last 2 years and soaking them will not hurt them, boar brushes I soak them for 2 minutes at least to make them more pliable and should help in breakage over time. Badger brushes get a quick soaking also and have had no problems so far.
I had a boar brush 25 + years ago and abused it (did not know how to care properly for a boar brush and store staff nowadays do not know shave products aisle IMO) and did not soak it other than running it under the tap. Then one day I went to use it and found clumps of hair breaking off, like I said I abused that brush and it did not last all that long.
If a person wants to soak a brush it should not hurt it & my instinct tells me it should help it last longer and perform better is my thinking. While preparing to get ready for a shave just but brush in a coffee mug with warm water while getting gear out to use.

Top Bottom