What's new

Shaving before shower: aftershave a good idea?

Lately, on advice here, I've been shaving before my shower and getting very good results. However, I have a question. Before, shaving after the shower, I would of course finish the shave with aftershave, lotion, and Clubman powder before heading off to breakfast. Now, naturally, anything I put on before stepping under the spray will get rinsed off; and so I apply those 3 substances after the shower.

Does it make any sense from a skincare perspective, though, to at least splash on a little aftershave before the shower? I tend to use lukewarm water for the shave, and to treat my face and throat with cold water post-shave. So I don't think my warm-to-hot shower water will irritate my face and throat. At least it hasn't yet. But would a little aftershave be good for me?

I like the feel of a splash after my shave, so that’s how I finish.

But I will follow this discussion with interest as I cannot really comment from the skin care perspective. :a21: :a21:

I like the feel of a splash after my shave, so that’s how I finish.

But I will follow this discussion with interest as I cannot really comment from the skin care perspective. :a21: :a21:
I enjoy the scent and feel too -- but the shower wipes it all away. Though I try to prolong the sensation/scent by cleaning and drying my razor and putting all the gear back in their proper places before starting up the shower.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
So apply aftershave before and the full routine after the shower. The only thing you've got to lose is a little aftershave. I'm assuming it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If it feels good it makes sense to me.

I always shave before my shower, so applying aftershave seems a bit of a waste. I apply a spritz of witch hazel, or a wipe with an alum block, which washes of in the shower, followed by my aftershave after I've dried off.

Lately, on advice here, I've been shaving before my shower and getting very good results. However, I have a question. Before, shaving after the shower, I would of course finish the shave with aftershave, lotion, and Clubman powder before heading off to breakfast. Now, naturally, anything I put on before stepping under the spray will get rinsed off; and so I apply those 3 substances after the shower.

Does it make any sense from a skincare perspective, though, to at least splash on a little aftershave before the shower? I tend to use lukewarm water for the shave, and to treat my face and throat with cold water post-shave. So I don't think my warm-to-hot shower water will irritate my face and throat. At least it hasn't yet. But would a little aftershave be good for me?
I suggest you're overthinking the procedure. Shower. Shave. Dry off. Apply aftershave.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Before Covid disrupted things I would shave at about 4.30 AM, then have a pot of tea or some coffee and something to eat, getting in the shower around 6.00. So I'd use a little witch hazel after my shave, and then apply after shave and moisturizer after my shower. A hot shower would 'open up' the pores again, and I'd still get a burn from the splash if I had any irritated areas.

For the best shave, you actually should shower FIRST, to allow the warm/hot water and steam to soften and expand the whiskers. In lieu of showering first, applying a hot wet towel to you face for a minute or two will achieve some of that benefit, but there's no replacement for that nice several minute long steam/hot water in the shower. - Even using pre-shave beforehand, doesn't yield as comfortable a shave as the shower, and of course YMMV.

Agree with Santamariasteve, we're overthinking it, try a combination and find what you like--I enjoy a good aftershave and balm, and see no advantage to us it only to wash it down the drain.

I didn't care for the sting of the hot water on my skin from any irritation or micro cuts (I used to cart shave first, then shower to rinse off any remaining shave foam/gel). After an 8-year break, I returned to cart shaves, and immediately realized why I stopped before I luckily tried wet shaving with DEs. Now I only shave after showering; using only an unscented balm at first, and then realizing I was an old guy, I started using aftershave before the balm. Try a cold water shave (brushes soften, soaps lather, razors cut whiskers without a problem) now that the weather is warming up--it helps you cool off and cuts down on the irritation. There's nothing like a cold water shave using a heavily mentholated soap (Proraso Green Pre/soap) and a sink full of water with ice floating in it in the middle of summer--give it a try and you might just be a convert (half of the year)

For the best shave, you actually should shower FIRST, to allow the warm/hot water and steam to soften and expand the whiskers. In lieu of showering first, applying a hot wet towel to you face for a minute or two will achieve some of that benefit, but there's no replacement for that nice several minute long steam/hot water in the shower. - Even using pre-shave beforehand, doesn't yield as comfortable a shave as the shower, and of course YMMV.
I did the shower first procedure for many years, and the warm wet towel if I were skipping the shower. This switch seems to be working for me at least as well as the earlier routine; my shaves are as close, there's no irritation, etc.

Agree with Santamariasteve, we're overthinking it, try a combination and find what you like--I enjoy a good aftershave and balm, and see no advantage to us it only to wash it down the drain.

I didn't care for the sting of the hot water on my skin from any irritation or micro cuts (I used to cart shave first, then shower to rinse off any remaining shave foam/gel). After an 8-year break, I returned to cart shaves, and immediately realized why I stopped before I luckily tried wet shaving with DEs. Now I only shave after showering; using only an unscented balm at first, and then realizing I was an old guy, I started using aftershave before the balm. Try a cold water shave (brushes soften, soaps lather, razors cut whiskers without a problem) now that the weather is warming up--it helps you cool off and cuts down on the irritation. There's nothing like a cold water shave using a heavily mentholated soap (Proraso Green Pre/soap) and a sink full of water with ice floating in it in the middle of summer--give it a try and you might just be a convert (half of the year)
Oh, I've done it and do it frequently now. Only in my horrific climate, it would be for 9-10 months of the year.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I wanted to avoid vulgarity in my post above where I say that I shave and eat breakfast before showering, but what I was really saying was that in the traditional troika of "sh.. sh.... and sh..." I like to have the other two completed before I shower.

I don't know how the "standard advice" ever started to shower then shave or apply a hot towel to your face before lathering. have always shaved first and then taken a shower. In fact, if you looked at some of the original instructions that came with certain Gillette razors they did not recommend taking a shower before shaving. Rather they suggested you wash your face with warm water (not hot) rinse off the soap, leave your face wet and then lather up.
1620241598462.png

However, some individuals have made their own rules for shaving - and that is fine for them. However, many of these rules are based on their version of logic and not actual studies.

I wish I still had the title of the book but there was one book on shaving with a straight razor going back to the 1800s that advocated cold water shaving. The idea in that book was that using cold or cool water makes your beard "stand up" rather than lie flat on your face thereby facilitating your shave.

In any event, the procedure I have used since I started shaving at the age of 14 was to wash my face with warm water, rinse off any soap, wet my face, and lather up. After I shave I have always rinsed off my face with cool water, apply WH, and then an aftershave balm. By the time I clean up everything my face is dry and I take a shower.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
After a pot of coffee and a leisurely breakfast in my sweats I shave, shower, splash on 4711, brush my hair hair, steal a dot of my wife's Simpatico fern handcream for my leathery forehead, and dress to walk the dog. Other than the sweats, the leisure, and the handcream this has been my routine for over half a century.

In any event, the procedure I have used since I started shaving at the age of 14 was to wash my face with warm water, rinse off any soap, wet my face, and lather up. After I shave I have always rinsed off my face with cool water, apply WH, and then an aftershave balm. By the time I clean up everything my face is dry and I take a shower.
While I appreciate everyone has their own way of doing things, and far be it from me to advise, you've outlined my shaving "drill" as well. I've never understood the emphasis on "hot"; as in hot water, hot towels, shaving after a hot shower as prep' for shaving... But, that's me. Well, I guess that's technically you AND me but you get my point.

I betcha 8 out of 10 shavers (who have an opinion) prefer to shower in warm water, and then to shave afterwards, especially if they have tough whiskers.

I'll speak for the oddballs. I prefer shaving before showering. Shaving for almost 60 years, going from electric, to injector, to carts, then DE. I never got a good shave after showering. My shave prep is always just a quick face wash and rinse. Then the shave, then the shower. No rules. Whatever works for you.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Unless I misunderstand, the OP is not requesting advice on the merits of shaving before or after showering. He is asking whether, from a skincare perspective, there is any benefit to applying aftershave immediately after shaving, given that he now shaves before he takes a shower. I often do the same and my answer is no, I wait until after the shower.

I don't know how the "standard advice" ever started to shower then shave or apply a hot towel to your face before lathering. have always shaved first and then taken a shower. In fact, if you looked at some of the original instructions that came with certain Gillette razors they did not recommend taking a shower before shaving. Rather they suggested you wash your face with warm water (not hot) rinse off the soap, leave your face wet and then lather up.
View attachment 1262407

However, some individuals have made their own rules for shaving - and that is fine for them. However, many of these rules are based on their version of logic and not actual studies.

I wish I still had the title of the book but there was one book on shaving with a straight razor going back to the 1800s that advocated cold water shaving. The idea in that book was that using cold or cool water makes your beard "stand up" rather than lie flat on your face thereby facilitating your shave.

"Stand up" is probably a misnomer, but hot water does make the skin swell, and cold water makes it retract, so it's sort of true.

Top Bottom