What's new

SHAVING BAR SOAP tips

Since I started shaving in 1963 my method has been the same. 2 washes and 2 rinses with hot water and plain old bath bar soap , then apply lather. I've used this method with shaving bar soap as well until this week. This week I did the wash-rinse twice WITH the shaving soaps, the difference was phenomenal!..Everything about this technique was superior, I could barely feel the 48 hour whiskers being mown .You're never too old to learn something new !
IMG_0092.JPG

Since I started shaving in 1963 my method has been the same. 2 washes and 2 rinses with hot water and plain old bath bar soap , then apply lather. I've used this method with shaving bar soap as well until this week. This week I did the wash-rinse twice WITH the shaving soaps, the difference was phenomenal!..Everything about this technique was superior, I could barely feel the 48 hour whiskers being mown .You're never too old to learn something new !
I think some of the small, round French shaving soaps are intended to be used this way. The soap is rounded on the bottom to fit the palm of the hand. Wash up with the shaving soap, then lather with a brush while holding the soap in the palm of the other hand.

I'll have to try this with Haslinger Sensitive.

I agree.

I do something similar.
I use a shaving soap as a pre-shave wash.
Lather with hands, let it sit a couple of minutes, rinse it off them proceed to face lather.

Bar soaps dry out my skin big time as they are just too cleansing. But a shaving soap doesn't negatively impact my skin so it works great!

I have a number of shave soaps or creams I don't use as often in my shave rotation and they often end up in my shower where I keep a cheap synthetic brush. Usually, after I wash and rinse my hair I'll lather up one of those and let the suds sit on my face as I enjoy a minute or so of hot water and mentally prepare for the day. I then rinse and get out of the shower and start my shave process. Up until recently, this was William's Brothers for the most part, but I've decided to sit on my last few pucks so I have a couple of melt and pour soaps in there now. An old bottle of Headblade Slick was also just recently used up in this fashion.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I do one wash and rinse with bath soap before lathering up my face. I might try the twice method and see how I fair. Thanks for the tip Ron.

I tried this with Haslinger Sensitive shave soap & got very good results. Great soap, BTW, especially if you would like something unscented.

I tried this today WOW. I think the moisturizing content of shaving soap helps prepare the skin with the pre shave rinses

1. Safety > Don't Eat it
2. Safety> Don't Let it Slip out of your hands
3. Safety & Hygiene > Face & Head only - no below the waist...
4. Have Fun / Variety / Support the little Business / & Thanks > My wife seems to always find some winners on Esty for me.
5. Enjoy the slippery journey & find the one (or 's) that works for your special face!
6. My tips ( the 2 E's) is a use a soft silicone scrub to the mug. Exfoliates the skin and prepares the hairs for Execution.
Cheers

I've found that this works great too.

Instead of tossing a puck of shave soap I didn't care for the sent of. I decided to use it up in the shower.

After a few days I could tell that I was getting better shaves and my face looked and felt better than ever.

I was trying to think what was different in my shave routine that made this happen?

Then I realized that it had to be the pre wash with shave soap in the shower.

After that I dedicated the shave soap to face wash only. But the puck was about 85% used up by then.

Top Bottom