What's new

Shaving across the grain on the neck with a straight razor

I am trying to master shaving with a straight razor. I am currently using the Tedalus Essence razor to hone my skills. I usually go for 3 passes (WTG, XTG, and ATG) and I am able to get a BBS on most areas of my face.

However, the hairs on my neck grow sideways. So technically XTG is WTG/ATG for the hairs on my neck. I am unable to find a way to hold the razor to shave XTG. Depending on how I hold the razor, the tang or the scales keep getting in the way. Holding the razor like a Kamisori only allows me to shave the Adam's apple.

That's why I was wondering if there is certain grip that allows you to shave XTG on the neck area. Please share with me your thoughts on the matter.

my tedalus.jpeg

To shave towards the center of my Adam's apple from the side,
I open the straight razor 270°.
I grab the spine to hold the razor, toe down, tang up,
and I look up at the ceiling.

I'm not that dogmatic about WTG XTG ATG.

My first pass is WTG with some XTG mixed in.
My second pass is ATG also with some XTG mixed in.

For my third pass, I apply soapy water in the same manner as I do for aftershave.
Whatever I can still feel when I do that, I shave off.

I have the same problem. My hair is also really stubborn so if I don't get a good pass against the grain, there will always be leftover stubble. From a normal distance probably not visible, but when touching the area it's immediately apparent.
So far the most success I had was gripping it with the scales perpendicular. It's still a bit angled and there is still a tiny bit of stubble left, but it works for now.

I can't go full-on left-to-right on my neck with a straight, what with the hollows and protrusions and all. I don't call it XTG either, because the hair grows sideways most places for me too. I imagined that I would someday learn how, but I have come to believe that it's just not physically possible.

So instead, I do Gillette moves, a thing I would rather have you look up, than try to explain it and maybe not convey it right and cause you to bleed. But it works pretty well. Not perfectly, can't get close to BBS unless the stars align perfectly, but pretty well.

My neck hair is stubborn and grows mosty sideways so it is difficult for me to get exactly ATG there. I compensate by doing two passes at slightly different angles. Experiment with grips and head angles that allow you to have the heel of the razor near your jawline and the toe pointed toward the floor. Also experiment (carefully) with a slicing motion--that is, a stroke that's not perpendicular to the edge of the blade.

I suppose pictures or video would be more helpful but that would really only tell you how to shave my face, not yours.

There is also a spot about the size of my thumb pad on my right side that has a few very spikey hairs that I just can't get so I just swipe them off with a disposable.

To shave towards the center of my Adam's apple from the side,
I open the straight razor 270°.
I grab the spine to hold the razor, toe down, tang up,
and I look up at the ceiling.

I'm not that dogmatic about WTG XTG ATG.

My first pass is WTG with some XTG mixed in.
My second pass is ATG also with some XTG mixed in.

For my third pass, I apply soapy water in the same manner as I do for aftershave.
Whatever I can still feel when I do that, I shave off.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I will have to practice a lot more to pull this off. Certainly requires one to have a good idea about the contours of the face as it will require shaving without looking at the mirror.

But once shaving with a straight razor/shavette becomes second nature to me, I will certainly be able to do it.

I suppose it's an issue for most of us as my whiskers below the chin grows towards the side too.
I learned and use this ATG method...initially with a DE and now...daily with the SR...
You may want to try...
View attachment 1663005
This! I think the secret lies within the head posture. Since the tang or scales block the toe from reaching the neck, the only way then is to tilt the head and expose the neck. I will have to try various postures to find one that works. It's gets tougher for me as I am left handed.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will have to practice a lot more to pull this off. Certainly requires one to have a good idea about the contours of the face as it will require shaving without looking at the mirror.

But once shaving with a straight razor/shavette becomes second nature to me, I will certainly be able to do it.

For myself,
if I have the blade in motion when it contacts my skin, then I'm Ok.

If I touch blade to skin and hesitate,
then the edge will begin to slide.

This! I think the secret lies within the head posture. Since the tang or scales block the toe from reaching the neck, the only way then is to tilt the head and expose the neck. I will have to try various postures to find one that works. It's gets tougher for me as I am left handed.
It's actually an overhead move with the razor-toe pointing to the ground. The other hand goes around to behind the head to pull the skin taut...you can do it with both hands easily after some practice...took me awhile but now it is easy...

I hold my razor with the handle sticking straight out like a kamisori. After experimenting I found that best for me. XTG I do the Gillette slide, and in some places around the adam's apple I slightly angle the stroke upwards instead of straight to the side, if that makes sense. So, for instance instead of 180º (West) to the side, I shave 160º (slightly North).

I am trying to master shaving with a straight razor. I am currently using the Tedalus Essence razor to hone my skills. I usually go for 3 passes (WTG, XTG, and ATG) and I am able to get a BBS on most areas of my face.

However, the hairs on my neck grow sideways. So technically XTG is WTG/ATG for the hairs on my neck. I am unable to find a way to hold the razor to shave XTG. Depending on how I hold the razor, the tang or the scales keep getting in the way. Holding the razor like a Kamisori only allows me to shave the Adam's apple.

That's why I was wondering if there is certain grip that allows you to shave XTG on the neck area. Please share with me your thoughts on the matter.

View attachment 1662761
to much attention to detail for me... stay with the double edge, trim beard and mustache with a straight

View attachment 1662761
Another thing is that I wonder if using a shavette, as good as that one seems to be, is too unforgiving. I have heard that was the case as compared to a regular straight razor. That is why I went with a regular straight razor when I first started out. It does take a while to master all of the different ways to cut whiskers and I am still learning, myself.

Another thing is that I wonder if using a shavette, as good as that one seems to be, is too unforgiving. I have heard that was the case as compared to a regular straight razor. That is why I went with a regular straight razor when I first started out. It does take a while to master all of the different ways to cut whiskers and I am still learning, myself.
You are lucky that you can use a cut-throat razor or shavette. My wife staunchly refuses to let me use a cut-throat razor or shavette because she worries about me causing injuries to myself. She said to me ''If you want a shave with a cut-throat razor, leave it to the professionals''

Jason.

You are lucky that you can use a cut-throat razor or shavette. My wife staunchly refuses to let me use a cut-throat razor or shavette because she worries about me causing injuries to myself. She said to me ''If you want a shave with a cut-throat razor, leave it to the professionals''

Jason.
I trust myself more than some "professional" that I don't know very well. If you want to learn, don't get a shavette, get a real razor that has been professionally sharpened/honed. It is more forgiving. I can show you some places to get them and some good brands. Then, I'll show you the videos that taught me and some of the writing, as well. Any number of us can guide you.

No need to be afraid. I have cut myself a lot more times with a cartridge/multiblade razor than I ever have with a straight razor. I guess because I concentrate on the shave so much. I think I have slightly nicked myself four times, one there wasn't even any blood (by nick, I mean a tiny little thing with only a drop of blood showing), and one time I cut myself, but not badly. It was shallow. I was trying to make an across the grain pass without re-lathering ad the soap wasn't up to it.

So, no need to fear. No need to listen to all of the horror stories that have little basis in fact. Men and women have been shaving successfully with straight razors for thousands of years. If it were that dangerous every man would have a beard and every woman would have hairy legs (and yes, I know some women who use a straight razor).

Top Bottom