What's new

Shave ready? Are these chips on the blade's edge?

I'm searching through ebay and find this razor, the seller describes it as shave ready. I zoom in and see what seems to be small chips in the blade. Am I seeing things? If these are chips then I'd hate to be the poor person that purchases this razor and shaves with it thinking it's "shave ready".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Str...509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337e425d0d

Edit: I looked at it a little more carefully and I think it's the reflection from the inside of the scales.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Those are chips. The term shave ready, when used on ebay, is utterly meaningless. Add it to the list along with "nice, collectable, beautiful, rare, etc etc"

Even if it was shave ready, thats a $30 razor at best

Youch....

Do you have a loop you can put in front of your lens to get a closer pic like this

proxy.php

EDIT: OH.... This is hypothetical.... Sorry bout that chief... Thought you had it in hand

I edited my OP, I believe I've been mistaken. I think that it's a reflection of the inside of the scales. Check the auction out and look closer at the second photo.

thems is chippies. Not shave ready unless you're a crocodile. Looks perfectly honeable and *then* useable, but you'd be looking zombie-esque afterwards if you used as-is. The chips can be seen both inside and outside the scales, so I don't think it's a reflection.

wow, three whole paragraphs detailing how well it's been honed and how you're not supposed to hone it yourself. Good golly.

(my opinion)

Last edited:
I edited my OP, I believe I've been mistaken. I think that it's a reflection of the inside of the scales. Check the auction out and look closer at the second photo.

I don't think so.

Look at his other listings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Str...947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337e41f163
No mention of the HUGE chip on the toe of what looks like an otherwise nice blade.

He has quite a few that don't look chipped, but there's no really good shots of the edges.

All of them are listed as "shaveredi"

They look like chips to me, and the ad fails my #1 test: Do they have a nice, clean shot of the blade? No, they don't. People buy these to shave with, so if it's a nice razor, you'll want to show off the edge, or at least make it very visible. They didn't for a reason.

And that price is nuts.

I have been hesitant to buy from the seller for a couple of months because of never being to see a full clear shot of the blade.

Hold it boys, give the guy a chance:

Shave Ready. For whom? Truly shave ready depends on the skin, beard, shave preparation, and sharpness of the edge.Shave Ready.

So if you happen to be an elephant or even a rhino then these will see you right.
I guess if you have a chin that you can strike matches on then it could also be considered shave ready.

I have to admit that some of the razors I sell are shave ready - by that I mean I'd be happy to shave them and do test a lot of them but chips like that are a no-no.

This is just a great example of why I'll only buy straights off of members here on the BST, or a few of the mentioned online vendors that have been given several recommendations here on the forum.

And keep in mind, none of the blades he is selling are actually described as "shave ready"
He's got a quip in the title that is almost like a trademark thing "shaveredi"

Every one of his listings has that.

I sent a "ask a question" as follows: In the photos the blade edge looks serrated, no where close to shave ready(redi). Are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Will report back.:biggrin1:

I sent a "ask a question" as follows: In the photos the blade edge looks serrated, no where close to shave ready(redi). Are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Will report back.:biggrin1:

I'm still guessing I was wrong and it's a reflection of the chipped inside scales.

Top Bottom