What's new

Setting a 20mm pure from TGN...

Anyone have any suggestions on loft? I have a rather long handle (probably about 70mm tall) so I can pretty much set it to whatever I want. Just curious if anyone has a Pure knot from TGN and what their loft is? Thanks in advance for help guys.

I set this one at +/- 10mm and it's "bloomed" out to approx. 50mm and never seen water.

proxy.php

Had another one I set at +/- 15mm, but it's at my dad's house.
Sorry, that's all I got.

So you mean you set the knot 10mm and 15mm into the brush? So it is 20mmx60mm so you would have put it at 45mm and 50mm?

Hmmm. Have you used the one at your dad's house? Just curious to hear how it feels on your face with the different lofts.

So you mean you set the knot 10mm and 15mm into the brush? So it is 20mmx60mm so you would have put it at 45mm and 50mm?

Yeah. That's still Greek to me. :blush:

The one in the picture above has the base of the knot set 10mm deep.

proxy.php

Haven't used either one. Made that one for my nephew, the other was just to spruce up dad's beat down Ever-Ready.

Sorry I'm no more help.

A-ha! length - depth set = loft or measurement from top of handle to top of brush. amirite?

But, yes I'd set it closer to a 45mm loft. I can tell from my nephew's brush that I wouldn't like it at 50. ymmv.

Perfect, gonna set it probably at 40-45mm which ever looks better. Honestly I think I am gonna shrink the handle before I set the knot. The handle I have is actually 22mm so it has a lot of slide room...And if I set it shorter I am thinking the handle will feel too large for the brush...

So the other badger brush I know is around 20mm is a Tweezerman brush (the cheap one lots of people start out with) anyone know the loft of that?

I'm about to install 2 TGN black badgers (22 mm) and a finest fan (20 mm). I've done about a dozen restorations so far and the loft of the knot varies the characteristics of the brush tremendously, even if it's just by a mm or 2.

The shotest I've ever gone is 47 and the tallest, 54. The particular grade of hair plays a factor as well. I've never tried one but I believe that the TGN pure and black badger are very similar. I'm not going any shorter than 49 or 50 because I think that'll exascerbate the already scrubby qualities of those knots. I fear it might get unpleasant. They feel pretty stiff too. The softer knots can tolerate the shorter lofts. Of course this is all IMHO. I'm going to put the finest at 48-49 mm.

I set a TGN silvertip at 52 and regretted it because it just didn't have the backbone for that much loft.

Good luck and let's hear how it comes out.

Top Bottom