What's new

Selvedge Denim - Do you buy it? - Cone Mills is closing

Is Selvedge denim on the demise? Or is it just too expensive? I have been tempted to buy a pair to try and understand their appeal. But the cost/value is prohibitive especially when it is hard to get a proper fit. Still I was disappointed to see a local news story about Cone Mills shutting down. Here is one news report from a different station:
Cone Denim White Oak Plant To Close In Greensboro After More Than 110 Years In Operation

Based on this article Cone Mills was one of the most expensive producers but also one of the best. I thought high quality items nearly always had a following, but looks like the owners are not making enough profit.
https://www.heddels.com/2015/04/defense-cone-mills-hems-haws/

It seems like Japanese textile mills might have taken over a little too much. Again, I'm not an expert on the matter but I was interested in selvedge demin for a while. From what I gathered during that time, Japanese denim takes longer to break in and results in more defined fades and honeycombs.
upload_2017-10-23_1-3-42.png

There's an image of Japanese selvedge denim (Kuroki mills) to the left vs a pair of American selvedge denim (Cone mills) to the right. Different mills, different textures, different consistency. Either way, it is unfortunate that cone mills in Greensboro is closing down. There really does seem to be a lot of history and prestige for lack of a better term, that came with belonging to the white oak plant. So much so that there was a myth amongst the denim community that they had sold their 'particular' textile machines to Japanese Textile Producers.. Who even makes up such a thing about textile machines? But I guess it goes to show just what this particular plant has meant for American denim and really, denim worldwide.

Judging from their website, they have other mills in Mexico and China.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I wear jeans less and less these days but have been interested in this selvedge denim. Just never pulled the trigger.

I bought a pair of '68' jeans, Cone Mill fabric from Gustin at the end of the summer. They fit real nice but i haven't worn them more then to try them on, weather's still too nice. Gustin is presently offering them up again, ten days left (crowd sourced), $68US plus shipping for raw selvadge, least expensive of any raw selvadge jeans i've seen them offer.

Had never ordered clothing over the internet before this so was pretty hesitant. Very detailed fitting instructions that for me at least proved to be dead on.

The 1968 | American Selvedge Denim Jeans

dave

I read a few more articles about Cone denim and think the comment about Japanese denim becoming more popular is part of the reason for its demise. Though the article In Defense of Cone Mills – Hems and Haws
points out it that Cone is high quality and arguably more appropriate for every day wear since it is not excessively heavy.

An interesting bit of trivia. According to this news article a factory accident lead to the fashion accident of bleached jeans:
"In 1969, heavy rains flooded part of the plant and a warehouse, soaking more than three million yards of denim.

Employees washed the cloth in a chemical solution which cleaned it but left streaks on the fabric.

Cone used marketing to save the day, branding the blemished fabric as “pinto wash” denim, so named because of its streaks.

And the first bleached jeans were born."​

proxy.php

An interesting bit of trivia. According to this news article a factory accident lead to the fashion accident of bleached jeans:
"In 1969, heavy rains flooded part of the plant and a warehouse, soaking more than three million yards of denim.

Employees washed the cloth in a chemical solution which cleaned it but left streaks on the fabric.

Cone used marketing to save the day, branding the blemished fabric as “pinto wash” denim, so named because of its streaks.

And the first bleached jeans were born."​

proxy.php
Thanks for this history info....very cool!

I'd been eyeballing them for a while, but upon the news of the mill shutting down I picked up one of Bravestar's jackets. The company uses some Japanese selvedge and has a bit of a following, so maybe they'll be alright, but I've been a fan of the operation for a while, so...

The Steadfast 'Rider' Selvedge Denim Jacket

I also have one pair of Bravestar jeans that I just put through an initial wash. Not much in the way of fade, but just a nice durable super-dark indigo pair of jeans that after that first wash/soak and damp wear feel custom-fit.

Top Bottom