What's new

Seeking backpack advise/recommendation

After I have upgraded my camera and a couple of my lenses, my on-the-go camera bag has become too small (Lowepro Nova 2) and my transport bag (Hama Caddy F180) is too unhandy.
Both of them are shoulder bags which isn't optimal when I am out and about for several hours, so I am looking for a camera backpack which must meet the following requirements:

Hold a full size DSLR with a 70-200 mm f/2.8 and at least two more lenses, where one will be a 24-70 mm f/2.8.
Be able to have a tripod attached.
Either water resistant or have a cover to protect it, if it should rain.

I have looked at several backpacks which also has room for a tablet or laptop, but that is not a requirement for me.
I am not brand focused, and so far I have looked at among others; Lowepro Flipside series, Peak Design Everyday Backpack, Think Tank StreetWalker V2.0, a couple of Manfrotto backpacks and several brands I have never heard of.

If any of you gentlemen has experience I would be pleased to hear it and/or recommendations.

I have a backpack from F-Stop and it is very good. Sorry, it is not here at the moment and I can't tell you the Model Nr but they are built as a backpack and have different-sized inserts which you can swap out depending upon how much photo gear you need to carry. I have been out with a DSLR, several lenses, a medium-format outfit and a tripod and the pack is still very comfortable.

Feel free to drop me a note as a reminder Søren and I can check up on more details for you.

Last year I got a MindShift Gear FirstLight 30L backpack and it is the best made and most comfortable camera backpack I've ever owned. It is water resistant, also comes with a nice rain cover and a tripod attaches easily to the front or side.

i have this manfrotto shoulder sling pack, which is nice.
not sure if it can accommodate your tripod.

1422545747000_1056302.jpg

Thank you very much Gentlemen.

I have been taking a closer look at those brands and they all have some really nice gear :001_smile
F-stop gear can really be customised, they have a lot of accessories.
After checking Mindshift's website, my eye have caught the Mindshift Gear Backlight 26L, and I found what I think is a nice review of it on Youtube.
I also found the Manfrotto pack on their website, and as I suspected the two straps on the front is for a tripod, but they have a video showing the possibilities, and it looks like there is a large pocket on one side that can unfold and also hold a tripod.
My tripod is quite old and I think too big for the pocket, but it should fit nicely in the straps.
Oh, decisions decisions :biggrin1:

I use a Tamrac Expedition 6x when I'm lugging more kit and a smaller Lowerpro something or other when going light.

Picked up the Tamrac hardly used for about £25, stock pics below.

tamrac.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Experience with all of them, and at the moment I am liking the Peak Design. On the spendy side, though.

Or if you want even nicer, and more spendy, try the Ona Camps Bay. Not the best for attaching a tripod, but honestly, it is more comfy slinging that separately.

Last edited:
I really like Peak Design, I've got all their straps and I couldn't be more happy about them. I really like the ingenuity of their products, and has just watched the 30 minutes video where they present the Everyday Backpack - I am almost sold now :wink: The versatility is just awesome.

I'm totally biased since I know a bunch of the Peak Design guys, did some supply chain work with them a few years ago, but I'd support them and their products in a heartbeat. This isn't a corporation trying to exploit a market niche, it's literally a bunch of camera nerds making gear for themselves and supporting their habit by selling to the public :)

Their video almost had me convinced, but after some more research I don't think it will be the backpack for me.
I would like a backpack that can be opened so there is a full overview of everything in it.

I am closing in on three backpacks: Lowepro ProTactic 350, Lowepro Flipside Trek 450 or Mindshift Gear Backlight 26L.
I have found another wish; the bag is allowed as carry-on.

Well, I have spent too much time comparing different bags :001_smile

I appreciate all the input, thanks a bunch gents :thumbup:

I visited the camera store today, so I could see, asses and feel so I could make the (hopefully) right decision.
I had to adjust my wish-list according to the measurements of carry-on, one of the companies we are going to use has some smaller allowances than most other companies, so it narrowed my options in the end.

I went into the shop, thinking the winner would be the Flipside Trek 350, but I will have to say that I did like the whole layout/design of the Lowepro Protactic 350 better, so that was what I left the store with.
However I foresee another backpack purchase in the future, I would like a bigger one, but this one had to comply to the carry-on rules.

proxy.php

Sounds like an interesting camera store:biggrin1:
Looks like you got a really nice backpack there, getting the chance to see them in person is always great.

Sorry, my keyboard ran out of s's :biggrin: I have refilled the key now :wink:

I like the "APE" case. Room for everything and a laptop.

View attachment 887909 View attachment 887910

That is a very nice looking backpack, I will definitely have that brand in mind when I start looking for a bigger one.

Top Bottom