What's new

SE Razors

I actually prefer the Featherweight over the Heavy Flat Top.

Definitely try SE. They are superb shaving implements.

P

Pjotr

Right, that's the name of the razor, thanks for reminding me. I bought a NOS version of the razor and interestingly, there was no name on it at all.

Tell me, any idea as to what the "official" name of the Ever Ready version?

The name comes from a GEM advertisement that one of the SE dudes here has a copy of. The official name is a bit clumsy I think and G-bar (becasue of the G for GEM stamped on the handle) is used more and is probably more recognised. Although a lot of identical SE razors were marketed under different names (Ever Ready, GEM and Treet) I'm not aware that Ever Ready ever produced the HFT. Both my Featherweights are Ever Readys and as far as I can tell are identical to the GEM version.

The name comes from a GEM advertisement that one of the SE dudes here has a copy of. The official name is a bit clumsy I think and G-bar (becasue of the G for GEM stamped on the handle) is used more and is probably more recognised. Although a lot of identical SE razors were marketed under different names (Ever Ready, GEM and Treet) I'm not aware that Ever Ready ever produced the HFT. Both my Featherweights are Ever Readys and as far as I can tell are identical to the GEM version.

I don't have the post handy, but I recall a post in which a member posted a picture of a HFT that lacked the "G" on the handle. My memory is that it was an Ever Ready.

P

Pjotr

I don't have the post handy, but I recall a post in which a member posted a picture of a HFT that lacked the "G" on the handle. My memory is that it was an Ever Ready.

Wouldn't surprise me. They should have stamped an "E" in the handle so we can call it the E-bar.

I attached a pic to show head comparisons between my wifes (on the left)..being a 1912 GEM fancy handle..mine on the right is a custom Treet thick black handle..more aggressive for sure...just gives you a good visual if anyone says all SE's are the same :drool:

Palm stropping also works well on DE/SE blades if they tend to be harsh on your face..blade flipping works also...SE blades are thicker than DE blades except for a few DE blades which have a thicker grind to them..but which lasts longer..I would say they are about the same...I thought I would chime in my $0.2

ST

I may be wrong but the razor on the right looks almost exactly the same as my Gem Jr. Anyway it is a great little shaver and very easy to use if you remember to use zero pressure. The only place that is a little difficult to access is under the nose when going WTG. XTG under the nose is no problem. I have only shaved about a couple of dozen times with my Gem and so far every blade (Ted Pella's) has given me 5-10 shaves. To the best of my knowledge if you are living in Europe SE blades are hard to come by. The stropping action is good to provide a better 1st time shave on a new blade IMO. I have not attempted to prolong blade life with it. There is however a thread wherein a fellow B&B member has devised ways in which you can hone SE blades with mixed to good results.

After searching I got to know There is Gem 1912, G-bar, Micromatic and micromatic seems to be the most common in the bay.
Now when Buying an SE what points ( Opening mechanism, springs etc) I should be looking for? (the areas where the defects starts emerge mostly, Like TTO , and dialing mechanisms in adjustable s)
I think You know What I mean??

After searching I got to know There is Gem 1912, G-bar, Micromatic and micromatic seems to be the most common in the bay.
Now when Buying an SE what points ( Opening mechanism, springs etc) I should be looking for? (the areas where the defects starts emerge mostly, Like TTO , and dialing mechanisms in adjustable s)
I think You know What I mean??

All of those razors are built like tanks. They are the most worry free tools you're ever likely to own save for a hammer and a screwdriver.

The 1912 and the G have flip tops. The springs are generally very strong. They will last more than one lifetime. You'll probably pass them down to your grandchildren and they'll still be working fine. As long as the lid flips down and holds the blade firmly you're laughing. The 1912 came in brass as well as plated. And so with the brass model there are no worries about plating or plating loss. You can even polish out scratches that aren't too too deep. With the micromatics ask the vendor if the mechanism works right and remember, on the bay you typically take your chances.

Make sure the blade spring hasn't fallen out, and the blade hooks aren't snapped off. That's about the extent of what to look for on the more common SE's.

All of those razors are built like tanks. They are the most worry free tools you're ever likely to own save for a hammer and a screwdriver.

The 1912 and the G have flip tops. The springs are generally very strong. They will last more than one lifetime. You'll probably pass them down to your grandchildren and they'll still be working fine. As long as the lid flips down and holds the blade firmly you're laughing. The 1912 came in brass as well as plated. And so with the brass model there are no worries about plating or plating loss. You can even polish out scratches that aren't too too deep. With the micromatics ask the vendor if the mechanism works right and remember, on the bay you typically take your chances.

+1 . I agree totally.

Thanks guys and this is really informative.
Why don't any one of you do a small write-up for the wiki on SE Shaving. That will a great help for the new people like myself a lot.

And now My RAD again and it started dragging me *+^^@ %....HEEEEEEELP!!!!!

Hello gentlemen,

I actually learned the hard way which blades fit the autostrop the hard way! :blush:

You need a different kind of SE blade to fit the Autostrop. I have a picture to illustrate the difference. The feather SEs located on the left side, which are missing the spine. These will not work properly in the Ever Ready or GEMs. They need that spine which the GEM blade has (look on the right of the picture below to see the GEM blade with the spine).

One thing I have noticed one thing about the SE's, they are loud (versus a DE razor) when they slice your whiskers!

proxy.php

Actually, it depends on the model of Autostrop razor.

Some models do need the blade with the letters cut out like in the Feather SE blade shown above or a vintage Valet blade where the letters Valet are cut out. This is due to raised nubs on the razor that line up with these cut-out letters.

Another model of Autostrop can take either the Feather shown above OR a de-spined SE blade. Yes, a regular SE blade with the spine removed. That is because the blade slides in from the side and no worry about the raised nubs here.

I have one of each razor and they shave pretty well. I have not purchased any of the Feather SE blades, so I shave with the one that takes a de-spined SE blade and it shaves pretty well. It will never totally replace my favorite 1924 Ever Ready, but it has a spot in rotation.

P

Pjotr

.........One thing I have noticed one thing about the SE's, they are loud (versus a DE razor) when they slice your whiskers!

Try an ER 1924. The top acts like a sound box on an acoustic instrument. You need earplugs and sort of expect the neighbours to complain.

I continue to learn something new everyday! :thumbup: Thanks for the informative clarification.

Actually, it depends on the model of Autostrop razor.

Some models do need the blade with the letters cut out like in the Feather SE blade shown above or a vintage Valet blade where the letters Valet are cut out. This is due to raised nubs on the razor that line up with these cut-out letters.

Another model of Autostrop can take either the Feather shown above OR a de-spined SE blade. Yes, a regular SE blade with the spine removed. That is because the blade slides in from the side and no worry about the raised nubs here.

I have one of each razor and they shave pretty well. I have not purchased any of the Feather SE blades, so I shave with the one that takes a de-spined SE blade and it shaves pretty well. It will never totally replace my favorite 1924 Ever Ready, but it has a spot in rotation.

:lol:

Try an ER 1924. The top acts like a sound box on an acoustic instrument. You need earplugs and sort of expect the neighbours to complain.

Top Bottom