What's new

SE Blade - Feather hunt

As far as I know, Feather does not market a standard SE blade that would fit razors such as a Gem 1912 or Micromatic. If they do, please show me where I can try one!!!

Wow that's a nice pic! (looks like my kitchen table...lol :p)

Bigdude, I know this may be a little after the fact, but I just saw the thread. I don't know what razor you are planning to use these in but the Feather SE blades will not fit the GEM razors, without putting a spine on them from a discarded GEM/Treet blade. Honestly I think it is too much hassle to do that. Have I done it? Yes and they shave amazingly, but I prefer to just pop them in my Autostrop.

I got the above box from Razorbladesandmore (I believe it is called), Just to try out. Unless you have a connection with someone who imports them, or a friend in Japan, you're looking at some expensive blades($1+/blade). Having a connection will reduce it by 50% at least.

Now if you are looking to use an Autostrop, from my knowledge these blades fit most of the models.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but if you have any questions, let me know.

Nice post, lradke. Useful, informative, and saves me hunting down cheap(er) Feather SE blades. For the record, they're carbon steel, right?

The Feather blades will work in the newer models like the Feather Weight without adding a spine, but they are expensive and I can't get one to last more than about 4-5 shaves. As far as I know they're stainless steel.

From what I know they come in both stainless and carbon steel. I have attached images of the two blades below. I have a few cases of the stainless, but I like the low maintenance factor of the stainless steel. The only downside is that you need to have a friend in Japan who can order these, as they come straight from Feather and they only ship domestic. And as oyu can see...carbon steel blades are much cheaper; and I am sure you can shave with them as I have seen images of little packages (5 blades?) of the carbon steel blades on the internet before.

Here is the information for the carbon steel:

$feather carbon.jpg

The size of the sheet (blade) 1: 0.245mm wide blade thickness 18.4mm × 39.3mm × Length overall
Carbon steel blade
¥ 2,100 (per 100 blades)

Here is the info on stainless steel:

$feather stainless.jpg

The size of the sheet (blade) 1: 0.23mm thick blade width 18.4mm × 39.3mm × Length overall
Quality indication
The blade: stainless steel [with a] coating of platinum
¥ 4,200 (per 100 blades)
(*Courtesy of Google translate and Feather-shop.com)

If you have any more questions on the blades, I'll see what I can figure out. I'm no guru by any means, but I do know a little.

Top Bottom